Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,736,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
Yes sir I had been here a few times and liked it as a tourist but living here is totally different, very homesick.
The homesick feeling is natural. Do you have any friends in the A with common interests? You have to seek out those activities and restaurants you're interested in.

Some food suggestions:

-Busy Bee on MLK or Annie Laura's in Riverdale or Chanterelle's in the West End for Soul Food
-Thumbs Up Diner (any location) or Sunday Brunch @ Wahoo in Decatur or Food for Life Supreme (maybe even Flying Biscuit) for breakfast/brunch
-Metrotainment Cafe or Cafe Intermezzo for desserts
-Top Spice or Tamarind Seed for Thai

I could name soooo many places but you have to ask around, do a search on CitySearch, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,395 times
OP dont worry about being bashed, I was one that moved to ATL, with my DH and 11 year old daughter, with 25 years accounting and him 20 years Law Enforcements, we final made it out of ATL without loosing everything we had, well almost everything, together we took a 80k paycut, my DH went to work for the State of GA and after working him for 18 hours a day and only paying him for 8 hours they decided to now furlough them and take another day from them. Well we are already in the hole, with low paying jobs trying to make ends meet, moving to low budget apartments cuting the food, budget anything just to survive, I GOT TRIED, I PACKED MY **iT AND LEFTED MY DH came back to NYC and got a job making 3 times the salary he would have received in ATL, I have transfer my credits going back to school for my nursing lisc. and instead of waiting for years to get a seat in GA I will begin in March and be done in less than a year, when I am done I will make 4x the money I made in GA.

I did not move to the city I came to LI, and my rent is 400.00 more not bad for a salary that my husband is now making that is paying him 3x and with the overtime HE NOW WILL BE MAKING, we will continue to rent until I finish my nursing degree and make well over 200k together - we plan on purchasing and will never leave NY again. While we was in the hotel we met so many people from FL, and GA trying to get back, home, it feels good to finally be back, I will say if I did not go to GA I would not know how good I have it back home in NY.
Stay focus and create a budget for yourself realize though that you ARE in GA not NY it may become HOME, and maybe not but in any case you will find out and grow because of it. It took us a year and alot of struggling to final realize that we was going to loose something out of this move and we did, but we are still a family, we have a peace of being home, that we did not have in GA because that was not our home, and I would not trade this for anything ever again.
God Bless

Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
Oh boy I'm gonna get bashed I know it.

Well, my wife and I just moved here after being in Brooklyn, NY for 6 years followed by a couple of years in the Hudson Valley and a brief sublet up in west Harlem by the pier.

We came here because of the cheaper cost of living but only to find out I can make about half of the money I could make in NY for doing the same thing. So really it's not cheaper to live here cause you make crap. (If you can get work).

Everything is miles apart. It's ridiculous how much you gotta drive. I can't even afford all that gas. Traffic is by far the worst I've ever seen.

Chain restaurants, what is it man? Do people really want that crap? They're everywhere. I still have not found a good private restaurant. There's apparently a couple of neighborhoods that are ok: L5P and East Atlanta but after checking it out I really thought to myself, that's all you got Atlanta? This place is lame in my opinion and all I can think about is how am I gonna move back up north?

If you're thinking about moving here, think again. There's no old established town feeling at all here unlike NY, MA, CT...All strip malls and new soulless construction. This place is made out of plastic. I feel sorry I moved here. Really.
I guess I would feel the same way if I moved from Historic Westside Atlanta or Castleberry Hill to Staten Island.Talk about "gaudy and plastic(actually faux-stucco lions,and Venus de Milo statutes.ughh.lol)Its ok if you do not like it here but I would ask myself:"why leave Atlanta, move to NYC and expect to have a house with a 1/4 acre lawn less than a mile from downtown Atlanta?."Answer:I WOULD NOT!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Have you been to Adams Morgan lately? I don't recall seeing any of that and I grew up in the area. Mostly what I hear about are the numerous robberies and stabbings at Piedmont Park.

I prefer the fine line between ghetto and nice in DC then here even Chicago and NYC. At least its one distinct line in those cities where areas in Atlanta its pockets of nice and pockets of bad right next to each other, which I think is one of the results of higher crime statistics for nice areas in Atlanta.
Are you seriously trying to make D.C. seem like its so much safer than Atlanta?Ghetto runs into some areas just like it does in Atlanta.I thought you were talking about Seattle or somewhere else.lol

Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 PM

117 posts, read 254,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauenberg View Post
Atlanta is not the south any more. The traffic is very bad. Three hours round trip to work. There is no more southern hospitality. Everyone is in a rush to get somewhere. I lived there my whole life. I moved away for five years and when I moved back it was a real eye opener. We stayed for a year and a half and we moved. There is really good job oppertunites there. Like the plays and show they put on downtown. As one person said it is what you make it.

Oh its still the south!!!!!!!!!! Confederate flags are flying high!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
The homesick feeling is natural. Do you have any friends in the A with common interests? You have to seek out those activities and restaurants you're interested in.
Wow. Someone actually used the term "The A". I was hoping that was one of those things that someone said once, then it disappeared from everyone's vocabulary forever. It is by far the dumbest city nickname I've ever heard. Just like IMISSNY's term, DH. Blech.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:43 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
Oh its still the south!!!!!!!!!! Confederate flags are flying high!
That is as ridiculous as the rest of your posts.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
OP, despite your tone, your complaints are nothing new... You should have visited though for sure. You moved from the capital of the north east, to the capital of the south... obviously there are going to be differences.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
I love DC and hanging out there is a blast, but let's not fool ourselves; stuff gets bad in Adams Morgan pretty often.

Quote:
It was late on a weekend night in Adams Morgan. The bars and restaurants let out, and what happened? Who knows exactly?

Words were exchanged or tempers flared, but shots were fired for whatever reason ["Fatal Gunfight in NW Among Three Days of Killings, Woundings," Metro, May 17]. It is the type of story heard about Adams Morgan way too often: violence claiming another life.
Rescuing Adams Morgan From Crime and Violence - washingtonpost.com

Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 AM

117 posts, read 254,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That is as ridiculous as the rest of your posts.

People hate the truth!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta