Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Today I was on the internet looking for places to hang out at night in Atlanta. I am looking for places that are for the intellectual, nerdy types such as myself. I get bored easily in Kennesaw and I go to Atlanta once in a while. I am 23 years old, and most of the places for people ages 21-25 are hard on my ears and most of the time, I am not having fun. I am an intellectual type and I need places like that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I am aware that I have gotten a reputation for my less than stellar reviews about metropolitan Atlanta, but I know I will be here for a while. My solution is to try out the places I don't know about and the things I don't like, try to change them if I can. This is part of why I am asking such questions. After take a few trips to Atlanta the city, I have softened up a bit on the city of Atlanta. There are things I DON'T know about Atlanta because I spend more time in the suburbs than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:16 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,124 times
Are you a geek or intellectual? Geeks are skilled and talk about only 1 thing, intellectuals are usually more into the liberal arts. Engineers/IT's are smart, but they usually have the worst conversational skills.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
So I'm assuming you want something besides restaurants, the club/lounge/bar scene or spending time at the movies and the mall. Try some coffee shops(something other than starbucks) indie bookstores, walk around Virginia-highlands area or downtown decatur,you'll find some unique places to hangout and eat around those parts. Back in college I use to go to apache cafe, they have art mondays, which is something different Apache Cafe :: Event I know your 23, you so may or may not like it, there's "Martinis and IMAX" at the fernbank on friday nights. Martinis & IMAX® I'm sure the HIGH has special events similar to the fernbank's as well, these are things that quickly come to mind, but there's a lot of places to hang out that will stimulate the brain. If nothing else go to Emory, Georgia Tech, AU Center etc. and see what special programs are going on at these colleges and universities, I have no doubt you'll run into some intellectual types at these places. I think Emory is hosting a mayoral debate this week on campus...I know it's not "fun" but things that that may be interesting to some and it breaks up the monotony of daily life.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:44 PM

46 posts, read 204,651 times
All the local colleges put on department conferences on specific subjects, e.g. New Voices Conference. Atlanta hosts a lot of conventions, too, so watch for annual events like Dragon*Con: Welcome to Dragon*Con! - Welcome to Dragon*Con!. The Society for Creative Anachronism has an Atlanta chapter: Kingdom of Atlantia, SCA. You can go hashing (running and beer drinking), too: Hash House Harriers. Evening activities at the High Museum: This Month | High Museum of Art Atlanta (http://www.high.org/main.taf?p=4,2 - broken link). And much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Are you a geek or intellectual? Geeks are skilled and talk about only 1 thing, intellectuals are usually more into the liberal arts. Engineers/IT's are smart, but they usually have the worst conversational skills.
I am kind of an intellectual/geek.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM

The Apache and IMAX seem to be the best places for now. My big issue is that I am a night owl and like being out as late as 3am. Most of these places from what I find aren't open that late. Events are good for the daytime. I am looking for places to hang out and meet people. I have trouble meeting people at places like Primal because most people go to the clubs in groups. I usually go alone. My own beef with the superloud music is that I usuallyb can't talk any lower than a scream, not to mention my ears don't like it. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM

102 posts, read 389,354 times
This is really far from where you are... but....Java Monkey.. downtown Decatur on Church Street. Swimming with intellectuals/geeks and Agnes Scott students. Stop by on a slam poetry night for sure. Lots of other geeky places (bookstores, brewpubs and whatnot) nearby.. so take a walk around.

Kavarna in Oakhurst (south side of Decatur).. more of a date place for intellectuals/geeks. Acoustic open mic nights. Coffee.. pastries... some sandwiches and light fare.

There are a bunch of similar places all over VaHigh and East Atlanta. These are just the two that my geeky self knows the most about. Hopefully some folks that hang out in those areas will chime in.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances125 View Post
This is really far from where you are... but....Java Monkey.. downtown Decatur on Church Street. Swimming with intellectuals/geeks and Agnes Scott students. Stop by on a slam poetry night for sure. Lots of other geeky places (bookstores, brewpubs and whatnot) nearby.. so take a walk around.

Kavarna in Oakhurst (south side of Decatur).. more of a date place for intellectuals/geeks. Acoustic open mic nights. Coffee.. pastries... some sandwiches and light fare.

There are a bunch of similar places all over VaHigh and East Atlanta. These are just the two that my geeky self knows the most about. Hopefully some folks that hang out in those areas will chime in.
I'll give Virginia Highland and East Atlanta a try. Hopefully I don't have as much trouble mingling there as I have in bars/clubs.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'll give Virginia Highland and East Atlanta a try. Hopefully I don't have as much trouble mingling there as I have in bars/clubs.
You might wanna try Little Five Points too if you haven't already. It's very quirky...pretty much anyone can fit-in and mingle there.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
There are things I DON'T know about Atlanta because I spend more time in the suburbs than anywhere else.
So glad you actually said that. One of my biggest gripes here are folks who disparage Atlanta when they don't even live in the city. Atlanta has soo much to offer.

If you're a music fan, but into laid back stuff, 99x (the alternative rock radio station) often has events. You should check out their website 99X | Now At 97.9 FM > Events (http://99x.com/Events/tabid/641/Default.aspx - broken link). I always recommend Unplugged in the Park on Sunday nights. It's a free rock concert they hold at Park Tavern in Piedmont Park. It's a great chill vibe and beautiful atmosphere. Folks play until about midnight or so.

El Bar http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-bar-atlanta and MJQ MJQ Concourse - Atlanta, GA are small, unpretentious clubs not too far away in Poncey Highland. They're open until about 3. I know folks who've gone there solo so you wouldn't be alone in that department.

East Atlanta Village has some cool late-night hangouts as well. If you're hanging out at the bars, you'll be straight. A lot of folks go alone at the bar. Check out Graveyard Tavern and their calendar of events The Graveyard Tavern | East Atlanta Village

I cosign Apache. Hip events in lively, laid-back atmosphere and it's not unexpected for people to go by themselves here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta