Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I just think it's important to acknowledge class issues in a situation without handing out halos or horns to anyone.
I disagree. What "class issues?" You are inventing these issues. You default to a presumption that the decision is wrong and made under a cloud of "class" discrimination, and you cite the fact that the Commissioners are all middle or upper-middle class as evidence.

Have you ever heard the saying that "correlation does not imply causation" because I think it fits here. You may disagree with the decision and think it's wrong, but you can't presume classism or some kind of bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
FTA denies congressman’s plea for transit funds

Denied again.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:23 PM

217 posts, read 409,050 times
Quote:
You are inventing these issues. You default to a presumption that the decision is wrong and made under a cloud of "class" discrimination, and you cite the fact that the Commissioners are all middle or upper-middle class as evidence.
I cited the fact that they were all probably middle or upper-middle class as evidence that they're not likely to be in the group of people who are thinking "How am I going to get to my job next Thursday?"

I'm making a distinction between class issues - which are more or less ubiquitous because power and privileges accrue to people with more money, more education, more social or family connections - and classISM. I think you might be conflating my comment with someone else's. There is a reason that I never used the word "classism" or "discrimination". That reason is: I do not think either was the basis for the decision.

If, for example, there was evidence that eliminating C-Tran was done as a means to get poor people out of the county because some members of the commission just didn't want them around, I'd be accusing them of classism.

I don't think the decision was wrong. I don't have enough specific knowledge of what the other options were to have a legitimate opinion about what the "right" decision would have been. They couldn't do nothing and just let the budget bleed indefinitely. They chose what they chose. But the fact remains that the people who will be affected the most by the decision to eliminate the bus service didn't get to MAKE the decision. That's one of the things that happens when you elect people to (ideally) represent you, sometimes they do stuff that you wouldn't have done.

People in a more advantaged position often make decisions that affect people in a less advantaged position. The less money, education and connections you have, the fewer options you have for addressing any problems caused by those decisions. That's what class issues I mean.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,914 times
As a former Clayton resident who lived there before and after C-Tran started running, I can see both sides of this issue. On one hand, you have a segment of citizens who cannot get to work or school without public transportation. On the other hand, you have a cash-strapped county that was arguably slightly better before they had public transportation.

All bus riders are not bad. However, C-Tran brought citizens to Clayton County that otherwise would have been forced to remain in some not-so-great parts of Fulton or DeKalb. When you combine bus service with cheap rent, you tend to get some less-than-desirable pockets in your area. I don't want to just point the finger at Clayton because there are spots up here in Cobb where cheap rent combined with bus service has made some apartment complexes and neighborhoods go downhill with no hope in sight.

I think what is not being said by the politicians who voted to end C-Tran is that C-Tran has unfortunately been a contributing factor to the decline of the county. There are a bunch of other things on the list (schools, corrupt sheriffs, etc.), but C-Tran may end up being the easiest thing to correct at this point. The problem is that it ends up putting a lot of people in a bind.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
I live in Clayton, but the way I see it, there is nothing the riders can do about it. Riders just have to adapt or reinvent themselves. Ill adapt.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
House would let C-Tran join MARTA | Gold Dome Live

Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
So there you go. All those rich classist Republicans voting for a common sense approach that would help both MARTA and the residents of Clayton County. MARTA benefits by expanding its tax base, and Clayton benefits by securing transit for its citizens and doing it with much broader tax support. Seems like a win/win if the majority of citizens in the county agree.

What's interesting to me and what gets me fired up are some of the comments under the AJC piece. People have to stop this class warfare and stereotyping. Ignorance is a terrible thing.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 AM

63 posts, read 143,397 times
at least the state steped up and put the opinion up to Clayton residents to make the choice.....now the ignorance lies in Clayton commissioners hands...which believe me they are not gonna change there minds....they are hiding from the media right now...they want transit gone...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 PM

63 posts, read 143,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I live in Clayton, but the way I see it, there is nothing the riders can do about it. Riders just have to adapt or reinvent themselves. Ill adapt.
That's the problem with us as a people, in sistuation you don't have to just adapt......we have a voice as a people and rights......but yes if that's what your going to accept you just have to find a way around the best way you know how while low down commissioners take basic transportation away and they continue to ride
big.... the choice is up to you

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So there you go. All those rich classist Republicans voting for a common sense approach that would help both MARTA and the residents of Clayton County. MARTA benefits by expanding its tax base, and Clayton benefits by securing transit for its citizens and doing it with much broader tax support. Seems like a win/win if the majority of citizens in the county agree.

What's interesting to me and what gets me fired up are some of the comments under the AJC piece. People have to stop this class warfare and stereotyping. Ignorance is a terrible thing.
What type of Class Warfare?? Could you summerize whats up on AJC...the mobile version of ajc does not show comments....my phone sux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta