Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While I don't think it will be a bad thing for all of the areas ITP to become one city (more of in a borough system though), the City of Atlanta really doesn't need to annex anymore land. SE and SW Atlanta could stand for more gentrification/development.
I think I'd agree with that. The key thing Atlanta needs of course is not more land, but more bodies. It needs the clout (both nationally and locally) that comes with being a million-plus city, and it needs to have a core city population that's more proportionate to the metro pop. and where the ratio is more in line with similar-sized metros (Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, for ex.). It's just silly for example for Atlanta to place below a city such as Jacksonville, FL in city population rankings. It's just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM

324 posts, read 659,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I think I'd agree with that. The key thing Atlanta needs of course is not more land, but more bodies. It needs the clout (both nationally and locally) that comes with being a million-plus city, and it needs to have a core city population that's more proportionate to the metro pop. and where the ratio is more in line with similar-sized metros (Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, for ex.). It's just silly for example for Atlanta to place below a city such as Jacksonville, FL in city population rankings. It's just silly.
Well Jacksonville entire county is the city limits Houston has almost 600 sq miles of city limits. Atlanta has only 132 sq miles of city limits.. If you were to spread Atlanta out as far as Dallas and Houston, we would have the same amount of people they have... Plus there is no southern city thats over 1 million and the city limits are under 150.....

Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
You always make good clear minded non emotional post man. I cant give you anymore +1

The Atlanta metro pie has too many slices in it. Thats small time and prehistoric way of living. Some areas should unite.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Well put. It needs that, plus another 15 to 20 years of the urbanization we've seen over the last 10 or so yrs. It's on its way. Hey what the heck, go crazy and throw in an annexation or two and then look out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While I don't think it will be a bad thing for all of the areas ITP to become one city (more of in a borough system though), the City of Atlanta really doesn't need to annex anymore land. SE and SW Atlanta could stand for more gentrification/development.

I think the City of Atlanta should annex the following areas (the annexations will meet both of y'all's criteria--more annexation/population increase [WilliamM], but with a mainly ITP focus [waronxmas] ):

-Emory/Druid Hills Area
-Briarcliff/Oak Grove Area
-North Atlanta
-Brookhaven
-Vinings/Cumberland
-Six Flags
-South Fulton (north of Fairburn, Union City, Palmetto)
-Scottdale
-Toco Hills/North Druid Hills/Medlock Park Area
-Sandtown
-Gresham Park
-Intrenchment Creek/Constitution Area
-Mountain View Area of Clayton County
*these area should also be annexed by Atlanta proper, but they've been incorporated:
-Sandy Springs
-Dunwoody
-Chattahoochee Hills

Last edited by aries4118; 04-21-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think the City of Atlanta should annex the following areas (the annexations will meet both of y'all's criteria--more annexation/population increase [WilliamM], but with a mainly ITP focus [waronxmas] ):

-Emory/Druid Hills Area
-North Atlanta
-Brookhaven
-Vinings/Cumberland
-Six Flags
-Scottdale
-Sandtown
-Gresham Park
*these area should also be annexed by Atlanta proper, but they've been incorporated:
-Sandy Springs
-Dunwoody
-Chattahoochee Hills
Nice list.

We march tomorrow ..

Old 04-22-2010, 01:53 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Also some of type of port even if it was in Savannah or another GA costal cities with a navigable river.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Also some of type of port even if it was in Savannah or another GA costal cities with a navigable river.
Actually, Savannah does act as our Port, and Brunswick to a lesser degree.

It's a straight shot down I-75 & I-16 from here.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
I disagree. Atlanta is a rail hub city. Plus Hartfield CAN handle Air Cargo, but has never been focused on till recently. This city has a lot of good things going for it that the DIVIDED leadership never realize.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

-Emory/Druid Hills Area
-North Atlanta
-Brookhaven
-Vinings/Cumberland
-Six Flags
-Scottdale
-Sandtown
-Gresham Park
-Sandy Springs
-Dunwoody
-Chattahoochee Hills
I want you to make a nice map with all this colored in and post it!

My solution (and I think I've posted it before).... Allow Milton County to be reestablished, so everything north of the Chattahoochee can be separated. Then take the remainder of Fulton and Dekalb, abolish both counties and every city in it and make a Greater Atlanta. London did this in the 60s. Have boroughs or some other names for subdivisions within this, townships, maybe even call them cities... but have smaller subdivisions within of about 100,000 each... Still would have Decatur, Chamblee, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and ones that aren't incorporated now like Tucker, Redan, etc and then Buckhead, Midtown, Cascade of what is currently in the city of Atlanta. Then have an overarching city of Greater Atlanta that would then be in the 1.5 million or more population

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I want you to make a nice map with all this colored in and post it!

I'm not computer-savvy enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta