Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:54 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
Ted Turner is from Ohio

Andrew Young is from New Orleans

Arthur Blank is a New Yorker! Sunnyside to be exact

Bernie Marcus is from New Jersey
And all of them had the good sense to come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Ted Turner is from Ohio

Andrew Young is from New Orleans

Arthur Blank is a New Yorker! Sunnyside to be exact

Bernie Marcus is from New Jersey
And your precious Mayor Walter Washington is from Georgia.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM

117 posts, read 254,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But...but...but what about someone who owned four businesses!

I was wondering what happened to the first three?

Business 101- You don't have to own a business forever. You can build a successful company and then sell it for a huge profit. Part of the profits made from the sale of that company can be used to fund a big and better project if needed.

Every business you set out to start will not always be successful. A New business has a 50/50 chance of surviving for five years or more. There are alot of millionaires and billionaires who have taken a loss its comes with the territory.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And your precious Mayor Walter Washington is from Georgia.

you can have Walter Washington

Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And all of them had the good sense to come here.

Somebody with sense had to step in

Old 10-18-2009, 04:51 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
OK....the need to step in !
I have been editing this thread now pages, and pages back......and all because for the SAME reason !
Different opinions, snide remarks, getting personally rude...and veering OFF topic all to often !
Enough !
Agree, to disagree...to agree !
Enough reason given.
If some adults (I would think ?) can't follow the rules of this Forum, then consequences will be imminent (disciplinary actions and/ or thread closures.)

Please refer to City-Data's ToS (Terms of Service), you agreed to, when you first signed up.
Stay civil, play nice, enjoy the forum ....and have a nice day.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
I was in Miami a month ago and I did fly in (AIR) I remember seeing hwy 95 North/South (Road) The Amtrack Train runs there also (TRAIN).

Last time I checked Miami is Geographically located in the south did something change
Of course Miami is in the south, but it isn't adjacent to anything else except Florida. Its historic influence on the region is limited because of this, as it its current influence on the region.

Atlanta is smack in the middle of a web of railways (it started life in the 19th century as a railroad hub), it's in the middle of a web of interstate roadways, and it hosts the busiest airport in the south (and the world) by multiple measures.

Because of this, Atlanta is an intersection for commerce in many ways, and acts as the hub for a lot of different types of goods and means of transportation regardless of whether they travel by road, rail, or air.

Atlanta is also home to 9 Fortune 500 companies according to Fortune Magazine, while Miami is home to 4 (though those numbers might be skewed by additional companies existing in suburbs ... I know there are two listed as Duluth GA, which is located in the Atlanta metro, and some of the other Florida companies may similarly be located in Miami suburbs).

Atlanta is home to the Federal Reserve Bank that serves the region of the US which also includes Florida.

I suspect there are numerous other examples. I'm just coming up with a few things off the top of my head, and I'm sure counterexamples exist.

I'm sure Miami is an influential city in some respects, but King of the South? I admit to being uncertain about anything that might justify that. It just doesn't seem that influential to me. I may be wrong, of course ...

To try to bring this back to the original topic ... many of the above things are reasons why some consider Atlanta to be in the early stages of being a "world city", along with a few other medium-sized metro areas in the US. That doesn't make Atlanta "better" than Miami or vice versa, but it does indicate that it might possess certain characteristics that other cities might not have in similar quantities.

I should also note that I'm a transplant from the upper Midwest (suburbs of Minneapolis), so I'm hardly a typical native of the area. I think Atlanta and Georgia have lots of problems, and I think the political climate here (for example) is a travesty. But that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge its very influential position in its immediate area (a few hundred mile radius at least).

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-18-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
I am a native of atlanta. I have lived here my whole life and I love it here. But I admit that some people on the national level look down on atlanta, and more so than on cities like LA, Chicago, NYC. You would never hear of people saying that Chicago is the annoying cousin of cities, but you would, and I do, hear the same about Atlanta.

Atlanta is in a transition period. Its almost confusing to some because people expect so much of it because of the Olympics. The truth is, those people need to give it time. the city is almost there, which i think was the intent of the op. Once it is "there", people wont be able to even make an argument about Atlanta vs. Miami. But its not to that point yet.

Even so, it is defined as a world city, so there is no where to go but up. It would be much different if the city wasnt even technically considered one, but since it is, its going to be much easier for atlanta to "fill the shoes" or "live up to the image" of a world city. I am pretty confident that 10 yrs from now its going to be hard to make an argument against the legitimacy of its "world city" status or capital of the south status. By that time, the argument would sound as absurd as saying Chicago isnt the capital of the midwest or it isnt a world city. You just wont hear it.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I am a native of atlanta. I have lived here my whole life and I love it here. But I admit that some people on the national level look down on atlanta, and more so than on cities like LA, Chicago, NYC. You would never hear of people saying that Chicago is the annoying cousin of cities, but you would, and I do, hear the same about Atlanta.
You hear negative things about Atlanta in places other than city-data? I've never heard the kinds of harsh comments and unfounded criticism about this city anywhere except on this forum. Whenever I've told someone I'm from Atlanta, it's all positive and they had a great time in Atlanta or they want to visit or whatever. Of course there is negativity in the media - but that is true for every city, not just Atlanta.

In my experience, the attitudes found on this site are very much not representative of real people.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
LA, NYC, and Chicago are all much larger than Atlanta. I'm not surprised that folks treat those three differently ... they dominate their respective coasts and the center of the US respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta