Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM

285 posts, read 876,429 times

Advertisements

You might be able to find a house in Scottdale in your price range and be able to walk to the Dekalb Farmer's market, but that area isn't exactly "nice" either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM

285 posts, read 876,429 times
Oh and there are a bunch of sailing clubs on Allatoona and Lanier. Especially Allatoona, I went out one day and there were like 200 little sailboats racing around, it was pretty neat.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
You might be able to find a house in Scottdale in your price range and be able to walk to the Dekalb Farmer's market, but that area isn't exactly "nice" either.
It is not a very walkable area, imo. More industrial, including a railroad.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:29 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
The area your referring too is West End...It's a nice neighborhood...tons of info on it here in this forum just use the search tool and walla!
This isn't West End, it is the Bluff. Very high crime area with lots of drug traffic. Aside from price, this is not what the OP is looking for.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
Anything less than 100k in the city for a single family home is not going to be walking-distance to Whole Foods, period.

The area near the AUC where these cheap homes are is one of the most hood areas in the city. Which is why housing is so cheap and all the campuses are gated or have constant security. Unfortunately, you won't have any of that at night trying to maneuver your groceries and personal belongings. I would not advise people doing any kind of walking at night living near the AUC unless you're walking to classes.

The only way to find what you want is by having more money to pay for it. You could, however, relinquish a few things (i.e. increase your budget) and still find something you love. Old 4th ward and Grant Park are still in transitional phases, but have been developed enough to get what you want. I would look into homes here, as they are close to the city, older with character, and you could possibly find something from 100-200k. There's a farmer's market in 04W and probably some similar places in Grant Park.

Regarding the sailing team/club, yes Emory has one. I was on it when I went to Emory. I can't recall the lake we went to, but where we sailed had "Yacht Club" in the name, so there are places not too far away to sail. Here's the team's website http://rec.emory.edu/clubsports/club...B937F5B32CC3C9

Last edited by bizchick86; 10-19-2009 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Default The Bluff isn't West End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
This isn't West End, it is the Bluff. Very high crime area with lots of drug traffic. Aside from price, this is not what the OP is looking for.
The area immediately SW of Spelman College is the lovely neighborhood of West End...here is a map If you need to reference what the difference between SW and NW (Where the bluff is located) is...

spelman college to west end - Google Maps

Once again West End is a very nice area...as you can see by the positive feedback on the area in these forums.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
The area immediately SW of Spelman College is the lovely neighborhood of West End...here is a map If you need to reference what the difference between SW and NW (Where the bluff is located) is...

spelman college to west end - Google Maps

Once again West End is a very nice area...as you can see by the positive feedback on the area in these forums.
West End is indeed nice in many parts, but the poster mentioned being near the AUC in the parts north of the 20. There is little to no nightlife and few retail options in that area. Further, as others have stated, not an area I'd do much walking around in.

The best parts of West End is the historic district south of the 20, which in all likelihood would be far beyond what the OP stated as her budget.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
What is the area like in the SW section just SW of Spellman College? Is it safe to walk around at night? There seems to be a lot of interesting restaurants - Asian and various other ethnicities. No Whole Foods though. But a half dozen really good restaurants only 4 or six blocks away might make up for the lack of a Whole Foods within walking distance. I think the zip is 30310. I found some decent looking foreclosures in that neighborhood. Also isn't that closer to downtown than Roswell? There must be some MARTA stations in that area. Is it evenly mixed or mostly black or more white?
She asked about the area immediately SW of Spelman College which is West End. Not about areas NW of Spelman College which is the Bluff which Gumboula mistakenly mis-characterized. I stand behind my prior rec'd of the area.

There is a new restaurant lounge called Space SPACE ATLANTA located in West End and a nice Coffee Shop http://www.thegroundscoffeehouse.com/ not too mention tons of other businesses(Banks/Post Offices/New CVS/Krispy Kreme/Kroger/Soul Vegetarian) and services and a Marta Station in the neighborhood...The area is ripe for potential and people are starting to recognize . Not all areas can have 24/7 nightlife but it certainly isnt far with Castleberry Hill and Downtown being located so close by.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:00 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
This shows how close 585 Cairo St. is to Bankhead Highway...and it's a good 3 miles from Spelman campus.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
You won't find what you're looking for at your price range.

Whole Foods caters to a certain demographic...and that demographic isn't purchasing 50K-100K homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta