Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city in Atlanta to live in for a single professional working at the CDC?
Lawrenceville 0 0%
Marietta 1 9.09%
Ellenwood 0 0%
Sandy Springs 10 90.91%
Cobb County 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM

53 posts, read 341,558 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating from Silver Spring, MD to Atlanta, GA. I know little to nothing about Atlanta, GA and would like some help in locating the city best for me to relocate to.

- I will be working for the CDC on the Main Campus (federal employee transfer)
- I have an elementary school age child so I need to be in a great school district
- I am looking to purchase a house between $180k -$2150k
I do not want to be in the city, I'm a country gril but I heard the traffic was dreadful.

I also do not need much of a night life as I am a single parent and free time is nonexistent

Any suggesstions???

Please do not recommend Decatur, I have family that live there and...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
First off, Welcome to Atlanta!

What made you come to the choices mentioned in the poll? Are those places front runners for you? I said Sandy Springs in your poll, however, it's going to be near impossible to find a home for that price in Sandy Springs.

As will be stated later, every part of the metro, especially the suburbs really go by school district, so while you say Cobb County, there are many differing parts to the county.

I wouldn't recommend Ellenwood because from what I hear the schools are less than stellar. However, you need to find that out for yourself. I also wouldn't recommend Marietta or Lawrencville for commuting purposes.

You might be able to find something in the North Druid Hills area or even into Tucker. I know there are some schools that do well out there, but others in the know will be able to help you out there.

I would say Decatur, but apparently that's off-limits....not really sure why either....

Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM

101 posts, read 297,639 times
I would consider Alpharetta. It's a great area to live with great schools. For your price range, I know of a specific town home community that is extremely safe in Alpharetta (in a great school district) because my wife's grandmother has lived there for about 10+ years with no problems whatsoever. I forget the name of it, but it is off exit 10 on 400N. I was able to find a for sale ad for one of the condos with a quick search. They aren't the prettiest places on the outside, but it will give you an area around which you may look ... hope this helps.

2115 newport landing, Alpharetta, GA, 30009 - $129900. ID: 9746710

I recommend Alpharetta because it is a really nice city that is growing and has great schools. It is also really safe. That's the city I would live in if I wasn't going to live in Midtown Atlanta.

I hope your job at the CDC will go great. I am actually moving in the other direction. I might be working in DC soon for the Fed Govt. Hopefully after a few years I can transfer to the CDC or another agency in Atlanta so I can come back. Atlanta is a great city with wonderful people and tons to do. I hope you enjoy it!!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
You are going the wrong direction if you want to ever see your child. Unless you will have flex time, almost all those choices are horrid commutes.

Would you consider a townhome or condo or do you want to limit yourself to SFHs?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
You are going the wrong direction if you want to ever see your child. Unless you will have flex time, almost all those choices are horrid commutes.

Would you consider a townhome or condo or do you want to limit yourself to SFHs?
I totally understand. There will be flex time however, it's only AWS every two wks and telework per wk.
I am only considering SFHs but I am open to end unit THs (I will never live in a condo, I consider them apartment upgrades).

Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmgatech View Post
I would consider Alpharetta. It's a great area to live with great schools. For your price range, I know of a specific town home community that is extremely safe in Alpharetta (in a great school district) because my wife's grandmother has lived there for about 10+ years with no problems whatsoever. I forget the name of it, but it is off exit 10 on 400N. I was able to find a for sale ad for one of the condos with a quick search. They aren't the prettiest places on the outside, but it will give you an area around which you may look ... hope this helps.

2115 newport landing, Alpharetta, GA, 30009 - $129900. ID: 9746710

I recommend Alpharetta because it is a really nice city that is growing and has great schools. It is also really safe. That's the city I would live in if I wasn't going to live in Midtown Atlanta.

I hope your job at the CDC will go great. I am actually moving in the other direction. I might be working in DC soon for the Fed Govt. Hopefully after a few years I can transfer to the CDC or another agency in Atlanta so I can come back. Atlanta is a great city with wonderful people and tons to do. I hope you enjoy it!!
Thanks for the link. Although the TH pics that you sent me weren't my style, I was able to use that site you locate some excellent SFHs of interest.
I'll be in town next weekend and I'm going to try the commute from the CDC to Alpharetta.
Thanks again!

Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
First off, Welcome to Atlanta!

What made you come to the choices mentioned in the poll? Are those places front runners for you? I said Sandy Springs in your poll, however, it's going to be near impossible to find a home for that price in Sandy Springs.

As will be stated later, every part of the metro, especially the suburbs really go by school district, so while you say Cobb County, there are many differing parts to the county.

I wouldn't recommend Ellenwood because from what I hear the schools are less than stellar. However, you need to find that out for yourself. I also wouldn't recommend Marietta or Lawrencville for commuting purposes.

You might be able to find something in the North Druid Hills area or even into Tucker. I know there are some schools that do well out there, but others in the know will be able to help you out there.

I would say Decatur, but apparently that's off-limits....not really sure why either....

Good Luck!
No, not at all, the poll cities came up the most frequent during my Craigslist.com search for single family homes. There's nothing special about them in the least however, I heard Cobb County was the best place to stay, not sure if the person telling me this was basing their opinion solely on my child's academic or my daily commute.
Don't get me wrong, from the little I've seen, I actually like Decatur but it seems like that's somewhere everyone is migrating to and is becoming over populated. As I mentioned, I am not a city person so I do not need to be in the heart of the town’s city.
Ellenwood is where one of my former sister in-law stays. I love her house and the fact that she wasn't too far from the airport however, I knew nothing about the schools or commutes so that choice was naïve of me.
Thanks for all of your help

Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
For good schools + budget around 200K + not in the city + commute to CDC on Clifton Rd.,look in one of the good school districts in Lilburn like Mountain Park,Arcado or Camp Creek.

Arcado Elementary School - Lilburn, Georgia

Camp Creek Elementary School - Lilburn, Georgia

For example:

House, Lilburn, GA (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/515-Orchard-Place-Cir_Lilburn_GA_30047_1110332882?mp=1 - broken link)

Driving Directions from Lilburn, GA to 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA

The drive on the 78 is not great but it is much better than trying to commute from Alpharetta or Lawrenceville.

There is also a very small area that has a Stone Mountain address however has Gwinnett County schools like this one:

House, Stone Mountain, GA (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5285-Village-View-Ln_Stone-Mountain_GA_30087_1109688827?mp=1 - broken link)

Last edited by capoeira; 11-08-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta