U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 14,730 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Oklahoma from a town of 3500, one that over one know everyones business. Graduating classes are about 150 on average. We are a 4A school. I need a good school, and have no idea where to look or which way to go. Any help would be appreciated. My husband will work in Atlanta. Thank you for all your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM

108 posts, read 453,816 times
Hmmm, I'm surprised no one has responded. If your husband is working in ATL, you won't find any SMALL schools in a commutable distance. There are a couple of websites you can check out to get an idea about schools. I think one is greatschools.net and then I'm sure the state of Georgia has an official site with school ratings. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,996,464 times
Default West Cobb/Smyrna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizemom3 View Post
We are moving from Oklahoma from a town of 3500, one that over one know everyones business. Graduating classes are about 150 on average. We are a 4A school. I need a good school, and have no idea where to look or which way to go. Any help would be appreciated. My husband will work in Atlanta. Thank you for all your help.
Do you know where the DH will be working in Atlanta? That will give posters some idea of possible suggestions.

Metro Atlanta includes several counties---Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett and others--each has its own school system --as do several cities, such as Decatur, GA--about 10 miles from Atlanta.

Do you need an elementary, middle or high school?

West of Atlanta--you might like Villa Rica, Bremen, or Carrollton. Lots of people enjoy Henry County--McDonough/Conyers. Smaller towns located in former rural areas--development and growth is tremendous.

The smaller towns, such as your town in OK, can be found around the state--more in middle, south and extreme north Georgia. jmo.

sls

Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,726,860 times
When you say in Atlanta, do you mean the city of Atlanta (and then which part) or the metro area (and then again, which part)?

There are good schools sprinkled all over the area -- but anything within reasonable commuting time has already exploded or will soon explode. Tell us a little more, like your price range and how old your kdis are and we might be able to help you some more.

My good friend is from a little town in OK but she has been here for 2 plus decades.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM

40 posts, read 343,335 times
Try the City of Decatur if you need to be in town. It is a very small city district within Dekalb County (but it is not part of Dekalb County in any way). Their elementary schools are very small - about 250-300 per. The middle school is about 450 or so kids and the high school is about 800. There are actually fewer students in the entire district of Decatur (K-12) than there are in some elementary schools in the burbs. The district is diverse (about 55% white and 45% minority) but they have a huge gifted population (about 25-30%).

Anyway, google "City Schools of Decatur" and you can check out their website. You can also get info on them at Greatschools.net.

Decatur is a small town in a urban area. Everyone knows everyone and teenagers can't get away with anything because everyone knows them. It's pretty liberal (they call it the Berkeley of the South), but that is changing rapidly.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Here is more info to my request

I found out we will be North of Atlanta. He will travel to different towns, some of those are Cummings, Canton, Woodstock, Suwanne, Lawrenceville and Alpharetta just to name a few. I have children that will be in Pre-k, 6th grade and 10th grade for next falls new school year. I have never lived outside of Oklahoma nor the small town I live in, so this help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,996,464 times
Thumbs up From another thread...

Quote:
I found out we will be North of Atlanta. He will travel to different towns, some of those are Cummings, Canton, Woodstock, Suwanne, Lawrenceville and Alpharetta just to name a few. I have children that will be in Pre-k, 6th grade and 10th grade for next falls new school year. I have never lived outside of Oklahoma nor the small town I live in, so this help is greatly appreciated.

Jxu66/Moderator suggested these schools to another poster--
'Some good elementary in North Gwinnett are Parsons, Mason, Riverside and Suwanee elementary. Most elementary schools in North Fulton are high rated.'

I think you will really enjoy GA--lots of opportunities for families. The towns/areas you mentioned are growing and very nice places to live.

Cumming, Lawrenceville and Suwanee--also Sugar Hill and Buford are in Gwinnett County.

Canton is further northwest--not certain of the county. Alpharetta is in Fulton County and Woodstock is probably Cobb--northwest.

I like the NE--Gwinnett and Forsyth.

There are a lot of threads about each area--you can click on 'Search' and enter the Keyword--such as 'Suwanee' and it should pull up relevant threads.

After you visit you will have a much better idea of what you would prefer.

Take Care.

sls

Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 AM

88 posts, read 490,578 times
Cumming, parts of Suwanee and Alpharetta are in Forsyth County. There are several great schools in Forsyth (but you will not find them in any Atlanta info) and there are also Blue Ribbon schools. They are not small though. Kids adjust quite well. If you go to North Forsyth or over in Canton you will find smaller schools but I don't think they are the same caliber as the schools in South Forysth or North Gwinnett.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Default jasper & Holly Springs

Can anyone tell me about Jasper or Holly Springs (and does Holly Springs have a High School) town,schools ,etc... any info is appreciated. Thank you again!

Last edited by bizemom3; 05-14-2007 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,191,236 times
Quote:
You can't go wrong w/any of those areas. Personally I would prefer Cumming/Forsyth Co. (that's where I live ;-)) Still fairly reasonable cost of living, experiencing tremendous growth, still small town feel, VERY family friendly, great schools. Alpharetta is really nice also, but much more expensive. Lawrenceville/Gwinnett Co. tends to have issues sometimes, not saying it should be written off, but I would be a little more cautious there than with Forsyth Co. or Cherokee Co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta