U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM

15,525 posts, read 25,147,563 times

Advertisements

Should the City of Atlanta and Metro Atlanta be concerned?

Engine for growth has run out of fuel *| ajc.com

Census: 'Brain gains' for high-tech cities *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/census-brain-gains-for-175665.html - broken link)

What do you think? Thoughts, opinions...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM

828 posts, read 1,937,304 times
I read this article the other day. I have to say that the city leaders and the state gov. have done a terrible job at attracting and keeping high tech firms despite the enormous amount of talent in the city and state. Has Atlanta lived up to its potential?-No, is it too late, of course not. The two biggest things that the city and state need to work together and help fix so that Atlanta can reach its potential, Traffic and Crime-PERIOD. How many businesses have opted for the burbs b/c of these two factors, countless.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM

828 posts, read 1,937,304 times
As much as we all love the quality of life here in atlanta, how much better would it be if we got a handle on these issues? There has to be a long-term view/solution when it comes to traffic, not just building more highways(take note oxendine) there has to be a shift in thinking. Remember when we ran out of gas last year, and when you could find gas it was sky-high? What did everyone do, TAKE MARTA. Was anyone at that time scared to ride marta? No, were some in cobb and north fulton kicking themselves and thinking, "You know maybe we should have approved marta in our county-yes. The only concern people had during that time was getting to work and saving a buck. Now that things are back to normal (whatever that is) the only thing hindering marta ridership for those that could take it but don't is the perception of crime. Adding more police everywhere is fine and great-bring it on, but we have to address the root cause of crime, (part of it being poverty, lack of education etc.) b/c if we don't we will continue to talk about this FOREVER!

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 10-28-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM

969 posts, read 1,773,353 times
I don't know, I never believe these articles. I live in Charlotte and I am graduating college in December. I don't think it's that great here. Not to mention in the newspaper here all they talk about is how Charlotte is now a "dying city" and "is the boom over for Charlotte?", blah blah blah. I love Atlanta and I'm hoping to move there next year. It has a lot more going for it than Charlotte, trust me.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM

136 posts, read 448,782 times
Yes, a lot of the economy here was supported by construction and real estate. It could stand some diversification and an increase in high tech opportunities would be beneficial.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 PM

9,086 posts, read 14,339,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I don't know, I never believe these articles. I live in Charlotte and I am graduating college in December. I don't think it's that great here. Not to mention in the newspaper here all they talk about is how Charlotte is now a "dying city" and "is the boom over for Charlotte?", blah blah blah. I love Atlanta and I'm hoping to move there next year. It has a lot more going for it than Charlotte, trust me.
Well before I say this.I have to say this is only an opinion based on what i know and THINK I know.What I have to say is at the expense of Charlotte.
1)Charlotte is not going to recover as quickly as many other cities.Yet I do belive it is here to stay and will continue to grow,but at a much slower pace.This is even before we even know how the Wells Fargo-Wachovia thing will play out.If they lose the jobs(and status)it will take the luster off Charlotte.Charlotte needs to really diversify more.Raleigh will take some of that "brain-drain" from Charlotte and some of it will go to Atlanta.

Atlanta will recover.I think Atlanta is the exception to the rule.The only reason cities like Dallas/Houston are attracting jobs in the $65,000 bracket is due to th energy sectors in each city.Also they have a lower unemployment rate than Atlanta.That you cannot compete with.But Atlanta has a much higher educacted population.Atlanta also is a higher educational center.It has more cocentrations of colleges in the entire South.The infrastructutre is here alreay.We have so much to already just add to what exisit.

Raeigh-The Research Triangle
Charlotte-Banking/Finance
Seattle-Microsoft
Austin-Dell Computers and UT-Austin
SEA&AUT have ONE thing in common.That is a major HIGH tech company.

CHT & Raleigh-One major Industry or economic driver.
Raleigh is the one that is closer to what Atlanta is.Due to their educational sectors.Imagine if Georgia and Atlanta put that kinda marketing and money into its education sector.From Morehouse to Emory to GaTech to UGA.Imagine linking Athens to Atlanta like it has been envisioned by train?Education centers do not suffer AS much as other sectors.

I do see Atlanta becoming more important in the financial sector in the future.Not by banks but like investment firms like Invesco and stock exchanges like I.C.E.These bring in highly paid and educated professionals.

Information Systems are also good.In Atlanta,headquarted are First Data(moved from CO),Equifax,Choicepoint and few other with major suppot operations.

So with all that which is great,there is still so much more room to grow.Will it take time and more effort?YES.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 AM

7,732 posts, read 13,095,793 times
What people also need to remember is that the data these stories are based on was from 2006-2008. Now Charlotte's unemployment is actually higher than ours, so I sincerely doubt if they are still attracting fresh new accounting grads.

A LOT has changed in just the past 12 months. This is basically old news, in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 324,577 times
Get rid of State taxes Atlanta might possibly attract more bigger quality businesses to the area. I agree with ATLHRLGUY crime needs to be put in check here & around the metro area. Crimes are happening when people get off the train in the wee morning hours not while they're riding the train with the exception that happen to the one woman. Marta police need to be present until train services stop at 2 a.m. in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: