Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times

Advertisements

I figure Suntrust Bank is gonna merge and or buy a bank like BBT or either be bought or merged by BBT(or others).How will this effect Atlanta?Can we still be a major city without a major bank?I mean I know we can and will but how much of the "shine" will wear off and how will it effect Atlanta in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,666,018 times
I doubt it. Not anytime soon.

Though, BB&T would be the perfect one. I like them as a bank but their CEO probably wouldn't go for Suntrust.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
BB&T and Suntrust are both strong banks and both about the same size...I don't see any reason for them to merge, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 PM

Yea, I agree. I forgot that they pretty much overlap in the same markets (mid atlantic and southeast).

suntrust needs a midwest or western bank. If not, a bank in the northeast to fill out the eastern seaboard...

Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Yea, I agree. I forgot that they pretty much overlap in the same markets (mid atlantic and southeast).

suntrust needs a midwest or western bank. If not, a bank in the northeast to fill out the eastern seaboard...
They are in the same states with the exception of AR, OH, and PA (Suntrust) and IN (BB&T). A merger would definitely increase the combined bank's presence in the current markets, but the are both strong banks on their own and neither seems to be a merger candidate at the moment.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
They are in the same states with the exception of AR, OH, and PA (Suntrust) and IN (BB&T). A merger would definitely increase the combined bank's presence in the current markets, but the are both strong banks on their own and neither seems to be a merger candidate at the moment.
What about either being purchased?It would give a blow to Charlotte more than Atlanta,but loosing Suntrust would hurt Atlanta too.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Yes,you have a good point. I.m not sure if they can continue to survive at the size they are.They are perfect for a Midwestern or Northern bank to gobble up.BBT maybe more so than Suntrust.They seem to be weathering the storm better than Suntrust.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes,you have a good point. I.m not sure if they can continue to survive at the size they are.They are perfect for a Midwestern or Northern bank to gobble up.BBT maybe more so than Suntrust.They seem to be weathering the storm better than Suntrust.
They are both top 10 banks in size and/or assets, so there are only a handful of banks large enough to buy either one...and I'm not sure any of those banks are healthy enough to be buying anybody. Suntrust is larger in total deposits, and BB&T is larger in number of branches.

BB&T recently bought out Colonial Bank, which added branches in several states including two new ones for BB&T...TX and NV.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Suntrust is in the top 10 Banks in the US plus with the 10% rule, I doubt anyone could buy Suntrust.

They would have go downmarket to get larger....

Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,719,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What about either being purchased?It would give a blow to Charlotte more than Atlanta,but loosing Suntrust would hurt Atlanta too.
BB&T is headquartered in Winston-Salem, not Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta