Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 04:48 AM

8 posts, read 29,454 times

Advertisements

I have taken the time to investigate this issue and the problem may not only be Chinese made products. The toxic substance has been identified, it is coal fly ash, and several US companies use this when they produce wallboard, including but not limited to Georgia Pacific which is located here in Atlanta.

Coal fly ash is what's left over after coal is burned. It's a grey powder that includes various metals such as arsenic, aluminum, lead and mercury. TVA sells hundreds of thousands of tons of the stuff each year to be used in the manufacture of wallboard here in the US. Other coal fired plants do also, although TVA leads the pack in this region.

Our neighborhood was built in 2000 by MDC homes in Kennesaw GA. The subdivision is Shady Oaks. Many of our neighbors are having the same problems with their air conditioning units, corrosion of the coils which reoccurs on a regular basis, and the units loose their freon. Several have replaced their systems once, some twice. We could never afford to replace our units, so we purchased window coolers, freestanding units that vent out of a window. What a way to have to live!! We have a large, almost new home, which should need little or no upkeep, and we have to use window units because our central system won't work for more than 30 days at a time.

On top of that, everyone who lives in the house has health problems. My husband just died from kidney and liver failure a week ago. Was his death related to toxic wallboard? I don't know, but his death was very sudden and no doctor picked up on his liver failure until it was too late. My son is sick, my daughter-in-law is sick, I am sick. Friends who stay with us for a few days leave feeling sick. When I get out of the house for a few hours I feel better. Not really evidence, but I am scared.

I am going to have our wallboard checked to see if contains ash. We would like to hear from others in the Atlanta area whose homes may have been built around the same time. Are you having problems too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta