U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM

110 posts, read 282,417 times

Advertisements

Does anyone still watch the local TV news? It's as bad and as meaningless as any local news I've seen in the country. Especially WSB, which loves to report and sensationalize every crime that happens within 100 miles of Atlanta, like we really need to know every mother that left their kids in a car while they shopped at WalMart. I know it is done for ratings but how can you feel good about Atlanta when you turn on the news and it's all crime trash. There are hundreds of other things happening, concerts, festivals, movies, transportation, environmental, yet WSB basically functions as a PR agent of the local police. Their obsession with crime needlessly scares people into thinking they're going to get shot if they go outside. I think the whole crime issue is needlessly overdone in the local media. It's no better or worse than anywhere else. Watching local TV, you'd think crime is the only thing the happens here. WSB and other local media have really failed the public with their sensationalistic reporting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM

7,848 posts, read 19,021,831 times
It's the same in any big city...

Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 PM

129 posts, read 355,035 times
And guess which station is number one, and well known across the nation? WSB.

There should be more balance on all tv newscasts. I do believe people would watch a mix of more relevant hard news and softer people oriented features, but the proof is in the numbers.

Have you seen the ratings for Georgia Public TV legislature coverage? 11 Alive hasn't been especially popularin years.

Does anyone remember "Clear News" on CBS 46? Now the station is a fast paced "if it bleeds it leads" format like everyone else.

Last edited by Mr. Simpson; 11-01-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM

4,565 posts, read 6,546,100 times
Exactly, DeaconJ...

if it bleeds, it leads!

WSB sucks. I don't see how their #1. Monica over does it everytime and Glen burns just annoys me for some reason.

I prefer FOX5...

Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Exactly, DeaconJ...

if it bleeds, it leads!

WSB sucks. I don't see how their #1. Monica over does it everytime and Glen burns just annoys me for some reason.

I prefer FOX5...
When I first moved to Atlanta from a smaller city, I was in shock every time I turned on the news. I could NOT believe how much bad, scary news there was here! I've heard the same thing from out-of-town company and other new residents to Atlanta over the years. It takes some getting used to if you're from any smaller city, even one as large as Charlotte or Tampa. There is just so much more happening in a city of 5 million, both good and bad.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 5,428,849 times
I moved from a small city yet the local news back home seemed to be about the same as here, I always figured thats how the local news is in any city, big or small. I find it hard to believe its drastically different then Tampa for instance but I rarely watch local news in any market so I am probably out of touch on the issue. I wouldn't call it news though.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I moved from a small city yet the local news back home seemed to be about the same as here, I always figured thats how the local news is in any city, big or small. I find it hard to believe its drastically different then Tampa for instance but I rarely watch local news in any market so I am probably out of touch on the issue. I wouldn't call it news though.
I've hosted friends from Tampa, and they were totally horrified at all of the horrible news stories - crime, traffic accidents, trials, child abuse, scandals, etc. You name it, it was in the news. I remember feeling that way the first few times I watched the local news here. Those stories are about double what you would get in Tampa or Charlotte.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-01-2009 at 08:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,515,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Does anyone still watch the local TV news?
No. Or I should say, rarely Perhaps once or twice a month?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,325,201 times
I get most of my news from the web now, and my weather radar straight to my cell phone.

Having dogs and having to be outdoors some, the weather is the most important news I keep up on, and I got REAL tired of Glen Burns saying, "See - just like I told you..." every time he gets the forecast right (but he never goes "oops, I messed that one up" when he gets it wrong 50% of the time, either). I would switch to Ken Cook now and again and as nice as the guy is, let's face it, he's about 95 now and sometimes will forget where he's at halfway through a broadcast, so that was out. Channel 11 I don't watch and I won't say why so as not to open a can of worms, and CBS... I dunno... my brain just can't register a woman named "Dagmar", so I just can't watch that one either. I gave up.

I also got tired of how they compete with their tech more than the stories. Channel 2's , "And now, the severe weather team on our HD severe 1080p googleplex high definition weather dopplar 3d radar....!!!!" cough cough barf. Can't I JUST hear the WEATHER??

I don't need to hear about the carjackings in Henry County, the nasty Mayor's race, or see the same stock footage of the same kid getting the nasal swine flu vaccine squirted up their nose 8 times in a day. I can Google and get all the news I want in less than 10 minutes a day - and I don't have to wait until "after the break" to MAYBE see the weather on the 3D enhanced supla-radar, either.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 PM

4,565 posts, read 6,546,100 times
I just wanna get Ken Cooks vacation time...every minute, He is on vacation. He must get around 6 to 8 weeks a year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta