Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM

160 posts, read 451,628 times

Advertisements

Curious about the job market for teachers. We are looking to relocate from Long Island, NY and have researched several possibilities including NC, SC, Colorado, Alabama, and now GA. I have 3 NYS teaching certifications (elementary, special ed, and literacy). Does anyone know how difficult it is to land a teaching job there? Teaching jobs are very hard to come by here on LI, is it any different there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
No...it's not any better here. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a special ed position - they still seem to be in demand. General elementary is probably the toughest of all at the moment.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,031 times
Dont ask. lol.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 PM

288 posts, read 958,901 times
I thought there was a teacher freeze as far as hiring new teachers in different cities/counties through out Ga. Ive heard from a couple teacher friends that have wanted to possibly switch to teaching in other counties that its almost impossible right now! Guess it could be the same in other states as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,445 times
Be aware that the state of Georgia is most likely going to hand down more cuts to education in 2010. Things are getting dire indeed.

I live in Hall County (north of ATL). We lost 100 classroom teachers and today they announced that they will lay off 35 high school teachers at the end of the year (plus 75 are being paid with stimulus dollars that run out next year, so we could lose up to 210 teachers while our enrollment is increasing). In addition, we took a 2.8% pay cut from the county and 3 unpaid furlough days from the state. Our benefits cost increased 10%. Deductible doubled. We now have 20% co-insurance instead of 10% last year. We have to contribute more to the retirement fund also.
We are also almost certain to get up to 5 more furlough days (mandated for all teachers from the state of GA) before this school year ends, which means that we are making a lot less than we did last year. (so all of our workdays/ planning days are now gone, or we show up and work for free)
Most of the cuts made in my area last year were special ed teachers.

Elementary positions are in extreme oversupply. I would try Gwinnett county if I were you.

I honestly think it will be years until things get better for GA because the state budget is getting worse and worse. (and we are not going back to the good old days when there was a teacher shortage) There is a real war against teachers in GA. People only care about low taxes (and they aren't that low!). Class sizes are increasing and some districts can't even afford subs any more.

Keep in mind that teachers have no rights at all and there is no "tenure" or seniority. Teaching in the southern states you listed will be nothing like it was in NY. (but Idon't know about Colorado)

We were hit with the furlough days just a few days before school started this year, so I bet there will be many last minute budget surprises that will make it difficult for districts to hire anyone.

Bad news for sure, but you need to know that things are bad here and getting worse for teachers.

Good luck to you - you will need it. I would look into Colorado first. GA and SC would be on the very bottom of my list. (at least teachers in NC protested when they were hit with pay cuts. GA teachers are very passive because if you speak out, you lose your job) We have teacher professional organizations (not unions) but they don't do a thing for us except collect money. GA is a lot worse than where I used to teach in Florida and I never thought I would say that!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM

152 posts, read 525,403 times
I would check out Gwinnett Co: http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us Its the largest school system in the state. They don't have much open now; obviously budget cuts as well as the fact that it is the middle of the year. I would still suggest sending out resumes if interested. I do not think it will be hard to find a SPED position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: