Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for on December 1st?
Mary Norwood 72 73.47%
Kasim Reed 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM

172 posts, read 391,977 times

Advertisements

Okay so you no longet have your Black MAyor memo myth to cling to and it looks like black voters were more open-minded than whites (http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insid...l-mayors-race/) - in the face of a multitude of black options no less - so now we just have to "trust" your clearly intellectually bankrupt conclusion with no supporting evidence (to be kind)?

Your drivel is no longer worth a reply.

rcsteiner: It's not easy, but it's doable.

Franklin basically ran unopposed last year
Franklin ran against Rob Pitts in 01
Campbell ran against Marvin Arrington in 97
Campbell ran against Micheal Lomax in 93
Jackson ran against pretty much nobody (i.e. Lomax) in 89
Young ran against pretty much nobody in 85
Young ran against Sidney Marcus in 81 <-- last real white contender

Compare those results to this graph:
Chart in C: Documents and Settings Giles Gascoigne-Pees Local Settings Temporary Internet Files OLK8 03-2004 CDP-Demographics.doc

Hint: That big dip ain't black people.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 PM

479 posts, read 699,407 times
The memo was no myth. Good try though. Lets forget about the memo from Maynard Jackson's ex-wife, too.

There is an easy explanation for whites have not been in the FINALS of any recent mayor's race. You know why. You just want to deny it. The fact is, no white person has had a SNOWBALL's chance in hell of winning the Mayor's race for 40 years. They could never got anywhere near the numbers to challenge even the weakest of black candidates. The blacks controlled the politics because blacks had the numbers.

Perhaps you recall that other sterling black politician, Mayor Barry of Washington DC. You know, the one that snorted coke with a hooker, on tape, and still got reelected by his "consitituency". You remember him, right? He is a great example of a what a black politician can accomplish running in a heavily blcak population. But that was a color blind election, too, right?

Maybe you have "data" showing why whites havent run for the Atlanta Mayor's office. Yet they have run for governor, senator, representative, and so on. Isnt it oddly mysterious how the Mayor's office has not been so "ignored" by white candidates? Perhaps you are implying there were no white politicians living in the Atlanta city limits that wanted to be Mayor? Yes, that is probably the explanation. Do you have data on that, perchance?

But times are indeed a changing my friend. Whitey aint dead in this town yet. We have the financial resources to buy move back in, become a larger and larger percentage of the population.

I suspect the cat will have your tongue from here. Been good exposing your falsehoods.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,961,113 times
For all that would like to hear Mary Norwood, or those that would like to heckle her, she will be at Amsterdam Bar on November 18th at 6:30.

It's totally not a gay bar....

Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM

927 posts, read 2,216,470 times
Bullbear get a grip. Living in a predominately white country, black folks have plenty experience with a white majority. Maybe to your shock, some of us even work with white folks, live next to them, or, surprise, are their friends!

This is not a matter of needing to be convinced of white people moving back to Atlanta. The type of attitude that you're giving off--that race relations are inherently contentious-- is so backwards and pitiful.

Most of us do just fine with ALL types of people. But the fact of the matter is, based on current statistics and past history, a lot of whites simply are not comfortable with black people in positions of power. Blacks are quite used to whites running systems of power, and unfortunately, have been affected adversely by anti-black racism in those institutions over the last 400 years.

So I would like to ask you, what justification are you using to claim that "whitey" has been dying to the point that you hold such apparent animosity for Atlanta's black leadership? What exactly does this "dying" entail? The stranglehold white business owners and developers have over the city? The income and wealth disparity that still has whites significantly more well off than most blacks in Atlanta? The fact that white citizens still have more political and civic sway than any collection of Atlanta's black citizens? The fact that white kids on average have better access to health care and excellent education (and the AP offerings in predominately white schools to show it) than black kids? The higher graduation rates of white high schoolers in Atlanta?

The good thing about folks like me and other blacks in this city is that we don't take the ignorance you espouse personally. This is the exact attitude that existed when Blacks were elected to Congress in Reconstruction post-slavery. Whites went crazy with unsubstantiated beliefs that blacks would run amock and terrorize whites once elected even though there was absolutey no evidence that this would happen. In that fear, the KKK was created and grew exponentially.

It's sad this attitude still prevails, and instead of hiding behind robes, folks hide behind computer screens. Fortunately that mindset of fear is diminishing and I'm happy to live in a city where, despite these attitudes, blacks still find a way to be succesful. I would love for a day when most whites can value the successes blacks have had in this city despite innumerable barriers rather than be fearful of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
The memo was no myth. Good try though. Lets forget about the memo from Maynard Jackson's ex-wife, too.

There is an easy explanation for whites have not been in the FINALS of any recent mayor's race. You know why. You just want to deny it. The fact is, no white person has had a SNOWBALL's chance in hell of winning the Mayor's race for 40 years. They could never got anywhere near the numbers to challenge even the weakest of black candidates. The blacks controlled the politics because blacks had the numbers.

Perhaps you recall that other sterling black politician, Mayor Barry of Washington DC. You know, the one that snorted coke with a hooker, on tape, and still got reelected by his "consitituency". You remember him, right? He is a great example of a what a black politician can accomplish running in a heavily blcak population. But that was a color blind election, too, right?

Maybe you have "data" showing why whites havent run for the Atlanta Mayor's office. Yet they have run for governor, senator, representative, and so on. Isnt it oddly mysterious how the Mayor's office has not been so "ignored" by white candidates? Perhaps you are implying there were no white politicians living in the Atlanta city limits that wanted to be Mayor? Yes, that is probably the explanation. Do you have data on that, perchance?

But times are indeed a changing my friend. Whitey aint dead in this town yet. We have the financial resources to buy move back in, become a larger and larger percentage of the population.

I suspect the cat will have your tongue from here. Been good exposing your falsehoods.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,297,462 times
Quote:

You and a couple of other trolls on here have been completely obsessed about some plot by whites to retake the city. Maybe incidents like the Wilmington Insurrection of 1898 gives you some sort of pride and warm feeling.

from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Wilmington Insurrection of 1898, also known as the Wilmington Race Riot of 1898, occurred in Wilmington, North Carolina following the events of Nov. 10, 1898, and is considered a turning point in North Carolina politics following Reconstruction. Originally labeled a race riot, it is now also termed a coup d'etat.[1] This incident is the only instance of a municipal government being overthrown in US history.[2]

The Wilmington Insurrection was the illegal seizure of power from an elected government by white supremacists, who used, among their many weapons, a Gatling gun mounted on a wagon and photographed themselves in their activities. Governor Daniel Lindsay Russell and President William McKinley, who were well-informed of these events, did nothing in response
Or maybe you prefer the more direct ethnic cleansing tactic of removing others not like you. Whatever it is, you evidently have a lot of contempt for your countrymen of a different skin shade.

If you had any grasp of history and politics, then you would know that several white Atlantans have been elected to citywide offices since we've had a black mayor--including Cathy Woolard who was elected City Council President in 2005.

People like you are really funny though, because in the face of budget shortfalls, rising crime, deteriorating infrastructure, and the housing crisis--your keen intellect and wisdom leads you to evaluate the skin tone of mayoral candidates. I guess in my case, hanging by the pool all summer pushed my skin shade from a chocolate Lisa Borders tone towards a more robust ebony Kasim Reed tone--which explains my vote for Reed. Had I taken the proper precaution to use stronger sunblock, then I would've gone for Borders.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the makers of children's games like Memory and Guess Who must be thrilled that they helped greatly in developing your skills in mutual identification based on physical attributes.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
The point is, race has been, is and will be an issue. Its true for blacks and whites. To claim otherwise is to be disingenuous at best.

Your claims of voting for Reed as the most qualified candidate when you yourself are black ring utterly hollow. Not buying it for a minute.

The TRUTH is, blacks are scared to death they may lose control of the city of Atlanta. Scared to death. Whites know it. Trust me.
CONTROL?Scared?Stop buying into that crap and talk to somebody black.Let them tell you instead of what the papers say and an advert of old civil-rights people extolling fear into some minds that Atlanta may result back to "segregated rule" if a white is elected.This is Atlanta where the civil right era took roots.Many of those warriors are still fighting the battle because thats all they know how to do.Most people under 50 are not scared at all.You sound like some black people I know that think white people are out their conspiring together to get rid of "grape-kool-aid"!LOL! Silly ,just silly.

Let me explain something to you.The ONLY reason blacks voted for blacks was because for the 100 years prior to the election of Atlanta first black mayor,they did not TRUST ANY white person to make sure there rights would be honored as they had not been in the past under white leadership.This is not a black thing,its a TRUST thing.After Maynard and Andrew Young,we were left with Bill Campbell who fooled a lot of people, even ME.I was in the Air Forde in the Middle East for a while not able to see exactly how he ruined this city.Its because of HIM that many black people are even considering Mary Norwood.

You assume that every black person thinks the same.You assume that white people are not voting for Kaseem Reed also.Are they scared too of "loosing control"?I think your attitude about how someone chose to vote without you even KNOWING the person is ridiculously and accurately of what black people are scared of.Some one who thinks they know how black people are and think because of their own prejudices.That is what blacks are "scared" of,someone like YOU.Not Mary Norwood.

Most blacks I know trust her,some will vote for her ,the rest just thinks she is there as a pawn used by racist people that will come up with every excuse not to vote for Kaseem Reed.A man that has never been investigated,cited by his peers in state government,or never had any ethics violations.He is generally respected even by the state house republicans.Yet for some reason he is "lump in as being the same".Why?No one has that answer.Only speculative.

So why is when SOME black people lump some white people in the category of closet racist(code word for Republican in the South)its not fair?(for the record its not fair in either case,and I nor anyone black that I have talked with thinks Mary is a racist)

Many people who hate anything Atlanta try to lump Maynard Jackson as some sort of begining to the downfall of this city.Yet without him,Atlanta would be Memphis or Jackson MS(pre-MCI).I hear all kinds of excuses about how Maynard Jackson controlled this city.Truthfully what he did was help expand the "Black Bourgeoisie "(which his family was a part of).Although it was mostly a good thing,it also had bad effects of creating a class of "entitlement" among the some of the blacks that were hired in government.You see the change at the top also happened in the back offices too.Not because white people were being laid off left and right.Most whites had left those position as a part of "white flight".

What we have today is a result of "croynism" and a system of no accountability for personal actions in government.Black people who are citizens who have to deal with this crap are fed up too.You got all this talk about how the city demographics are changing so we might get a white mayor.The bottom line is,however it maybe changing, in order for there to be a white mayor,there will always have to be at least 30-50% spilt of the black vote that a white candidate will have to win.

So NO,you are incorrect.Black people are not SCARED of a white mayor.There scared of a bad mayor.The only people scared of a white mayor are those in city government who have been there since Maynard.The black populace is tired of ineffective government and if that positive change comes in the form of somebody white,so be it.

Why is that you knowing NOTHING of anyone on here but would ASSume anything based on their race.Could it possibly be that in either race of people that a black person like myself who voted for several candidates like Farokhi for council member over an incumbent black person.You seem to forget that Mary Norwwod has had wide support from the black community.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 AM

859 posts, read 2,112,234 times
The next mayor of our fare city really won't be able to take this city where it needs to go without the support of the state. I just want to get those idiots in the state gov. out, b/c they are the ones that are really putting a snag in the region's ability to improve many things, chief among them TRAFFIC!!! These proposals to "just build more highways" shows great ignorance for the traffic issue. I'm really tired of this era of dumbed-down politics. Can the smart people(AKA those darn unpatriotic elitists, as some of you refer to them as) in this state please stand up!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
The next mayor of our fare city really won't be able to take this city where it needs to go without the support of the state. I just want to get those idiots in the state gov. out, b/c they are the ones that are really putting a snag in the region's ability to improve many things, chief among them TRAFFIC!!! These proposals to "just build more highways" shows great ignorance for the traffic issue. I'm really tired of this era of dumbed-down politics. Can the smart people(AKA those darn unpatriotic elitists, as some of you refer to them as) in this state please stand up!
I'm with you 100%.

I feel pretty hamstrung right about now. I care deeply about the City, as it affects all of us - whether some want to admit it or not. I have studied all the candidates, the issues, etc., but in the end I can't vote due to where I live. IF I lived in the City, I too would be supporting Kasim Reid.

Until we get rid of the tools who are running things at the State level, nothing will change.

One thing I CAN contribute to though is voting the evil MARTA-bashing Jill Chambers out of office. I WILL be campaigning for her opponent.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM

173 posts, read 469,392 times
Quote:
Your claims of voting for Reed as the most qualified candidate when you yourself are black ring utterly hollow. Not buying it for a minute.

The TRUTH is, blacks are scared to death they may lose control of the city of Atlanta. Scared to death. Whites know it. Trust me.
Reed has done more substantive good for the city than Borders and Norwood combined. His race-- and the race of his supporters-- makes this no less true. Norwood is quite fortunate that a qualified candidate with greater cross-raical appeal -- like Cathy Woolard-- didn't get in this race.

In any event, that blacks voted for Norwood in substantially greater numbers than whites voted for any of the black candidates suggests they are not the group most guilty of letting race pollute their decision making. Indeed, in all your vile and outdated ranting, you ignore than Mary Norwood is an 7-year at-large councilperson, which means that majority black Atlanta has elected her *twice*, without regard to her race (and apparently without regard to her bare political record). They clearly aren't the ones who are "scared." Perhaps you're projecting.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,171,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
No, but it's a start. What specifically has Mary Norwood proposed?
As far as I'm concerned specifics such as cutting the IT versus something else, are almost irrelevant. I do know that Norwood has proposed a twelve step public safety plan that I haven't even bothered to read because at the end of the day, its all just talk. These are people in a campaign making campaign promises.

None of the candidates has executive experience leading an organization as large and complex as the city government, so its a guessing game no matter who gets elected. My objective has been to determine the guiding principles driving the candidates through the many debates and public appearances. With that criteria, the candidate that appealed to me the most was actually Jesse Spikes, but of the remaining candidates its Mary Norwood.

I much prefer a focus on a top to bottom remaking of a city government that doesn't do much of anything well to a proposal to cut people in a specific department. I also question whether someone so closely linked with the Franklin administration will critically examine the inner workings of city hall as much as is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta