Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for on December 1st?
Mary Norwood 72 73.47%
Kasim Reed 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM

187 posts, read 918,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There will be a recount of any stray votes left over, and by reports, nothing is "official" until an official result is declared at noon on Saturday after all recounts and other issues are dealt with.

This is a standard process when you have an election of any two people when the results are so close. Had Norwood been ahead by 750 votes, the other side would be juggling recounts and checking voting machines as well, so nothing is going to happen that wouldn't have happened anyway on such a close election. Until that official result announcement however, there really is not a Mayor-elect yet.
The bottom line is that with only a difference of 758 margin and a voter turn out under 100,000 Kasim Reed is still going to come out on top and may have a few votes more than he currently has. A recount will only satisfy the other other side and of course wastes taxpayer money. At any rate the results of an election is worthy of full vetting because we live in a democratic society. However, Mary Norwood needs to fallback and bite the dust!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I suspect the demographic which reads City-Data is not an accurate cross-section of the folks who actually voted in the election.

The election looks surprisingly close to me...
I could of told you that a long time ago...!

City-Data Atlanta is Center-Right. It used to be more Center-Right/Right, but has shifted in the last year or so.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
I wonder where Kasim Reed will put Mary Norwood in his cabinet. Overseer of the NPU's?

Last edited by PKCorey; 12-02-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
When will this thing come to an end? Now I have to wait untill Saturday. I wonder if votes will magically appear or disappear in this recount process?!?!?!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
If Khasim does officially win, which he probably will, I wish him luck. But I know right now that the Maynard Machine is saying "whew, that was a close one..." Although they pulled through this time, thier decline is eminent.

Give it another 4 years. The white population is increasing with each passing year.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
BBC, I hope you're not implying that white people will only vote for other whites are you?!?!?! Voting along racial lines shows great ignorance. It's stupid when blacks do it, whites asians etc. I wish I could round up all those idiots that voted for kasim b/c he looks like them and move them OTP. The same for those stupid Norwood(I'll vote for her b/c she will bring the old atlanta, the atlanta I knew and loved back) voters.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
If Khasim does officially win, which he probably will, I wish him luck. But I know right now that the Maynard Machine is saying "whew, that was a close one..." Although they pulled through this time, thier decline is eminent.

Give it another 4 years. The white population is increasing with each passing year.

He's baaaaaaaaaaack...

...To bless us with his wisdom.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
BBC, I hope you're not implying that white people will only vote for other whites are you?!?!?! Voting along racial lines shows great ignorance. It's stupid when blacks do it, whites asians etc. I wish I could round up all those idiots that voted for kasim b/c he looks like them and move them OTP. The same for those stupid Norwood(I'll vote for her b/c she will bring the old atlanta, the atlanta I knew and loved back) voters.
I am not implying this at all. But do you not think it is strange that it will be 40 years by 2013 of a black mayor. Maybe just a coincidence...

Come on, lets be honest here. The majority of black people will not vote for a non-black when they are running against a black person. The presidential election proves it - 98% of blacks voted for Obama. There is no way that a group is that homogeneous, unless they are voting based on race.

No other major city - NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. would ever elect 5 consecutive black/asian/hispanic mayors unless those cities were majority black/asian/hispanic and those people were voting based on race. This is the case with Atlanta.

Why is Atlanta one of the only major cities to have 5 consecutive black mayors?

Common Answer: Well, thats because Atlanta is majority black.

Well, why would the city being majority black matter, unless those people were voting based on race?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM

214 posts, read 595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sigh. OTP isn't a dump for people that don't think like you - although it is an escape from people who think like you. Tell me, what exactly is it about communities OTP that says "all those idiots" belong there?

That thinking is as idiotic as ever voting for anyone without knowing where they stand and an idea of their plan.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Come on, lets be honest here. The majority of black people will not vote for a non-black when they are running against a black person. The presidential election proves it - 98% of blacks voted for Obama. There is no way that a group is that homogeneous, unless they are voting based on race.
I think very single democratic candidate for President for the past 20-30 years has obtained at least 80% of the black vote.

Most of them were white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta