Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for on December 1st?
Mary Norwood 72 73.47%
Kasim Reed 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
This is almost sounding like a Black Consciousness vs. Civil Rights discussion when it really encompasses both.

Having grown up by parents who were part of the former movement and been raised in a church that focuses on Black Liberation Theology, I can assure you that without the Civil Rights movement Black Power wouldn't have even been a possibility. As black folks we need any form of action we can get to empower our people. The problem is when we pit movements against the other as if they are not all needed.

Economic power, political involvement, and activism are all necessary for our improvement as a race.

Going back to the discussion, I haven't studied either candidate closely as I'm not a resident of the City of Atlanta. From what people are saying Mary Norwood is a bit more clueless about the city's functioning, while the biggest complaint against Kasim is him being within the "machine." I don't see how that is particularly bad if he can improve the city. Incompetence cannot simply be reversed, however.

Complaints about blacks not improving under Black mayors are disingenuous. That reminds me of the argument Republicans have tried to use about Blacks being predominately Democratic, as if suddenly voting Republican (the party of tea-baggers, masters of using racial codes to further their agenda, and authors of the Bell Curve, the book reviving scientific racism) is somehow better! Under one party, it is more likely for us to have a voice, influence, and power to improve than the other as there is a history of that happening in one and not the other. Pretty simple concept that some can't grasp for some reason.
Thank you for that post!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
Interesting take on the election and the possibility of a White Mayor and what it means to her from a young white woman yesterday on WSB news.

YouTube - Racism in ATL ( Shevy speaks)

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
On a final note, I find it absolutely incredulous that so many folks single out the fiscal woes of the City of Atlanta, while at the same time turning a blind eye to the fiscal woes of the State of Georgia. Are people not aware that the State is knee-deep in fiscal mismanagement? Have folks not heard of the accounting scandal at GDOT? Are people aware that the State had massive layoffs and furloughs this past year?
The fact that the State of Georgia also has financial issues in no way excuses the issues in the City of Atlanta, and I'm not sure I see how one should impact the discussion of the other.

Each is a very important issue for residents, and a focus on the City of Atlanta is perfectly appropriate in this thread given its subject line.

I don't live in the City of Atlanta, so I mostly read threads like these without participating, but it seems I see more excuses like this when the topic of the City of Atlanta and its problems comes up than anything else.

Why are so many City of Atlanta residents so accepting of poor management?

Does the apparently low standard being espoused in these forums by some explain why it hasn't improved?

Quote:
One of the issues that have harmed Atlanta's fiscal health is the fact that so much of the city's infrastructure and services are supported by only 10% of the Region's population while it serves the other 90%. You have folks that live just outside of the city limits that use Atlanta's roads, require the services of Atlanta's police and fire protection while they're at work or frequenting the nightlife inside of the city, but yet pay proportionally less for those services than actual City residents.
Other cities of similar size seem to be able to handle this aspect of being a central city just fine.

What precisely is Atlanta's problem? Why can't it handle being a central city?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
The only thing I dont like about her is that she help kill the Atl nightlife by closing down everything earlier and she talked about the stopping of building skyscrapers because it will block the views of residents in houses

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM

383 posts, read 1,590,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The only thing I dont like about her is that she help kill the Atl nightlife by closing down everything earlier and she talked about the stopping of building skyscrapers because it will block the views of residents in houses
That thing about skyscrapers is very stupid indeed. Shouldn't she just keep the city growing? This is a feature of world class cities like NYC, Chicago, Tokyo or Hong Kong - a blocked view. So if she wants Atlanta (I'm not sure if she wants, but I want) to be Atlanta a world class city, she shouldn't hold the construction of a skyscrapers.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Interesting take on the election and the possibility of a White Mayor and what it means to her from a young white woman yesterday on WSB news.
What is so racist about that? White Atlantans have been virtually ignored by the mainstream media, mainstream pop-culture, and even the city's politicians for the past 40 years. Whites are moving back to the city, thier percentage is pushing 40%, and now they are making themselves heard politcally. A white mayor would be a statement to the growing population of white Atlantans. And what is so racist about that? Is this not what happened with black Atlantans in 1973??? They made thier voice heard! They wanted black people running the city! So what?!

A white mayor wont change everything, but it could change a lot. Some people would rather call that change racist because they seem too scared to face the facts. Atlanta changed a lot after 1973, and it will change a lot after 2009 if Norwood is elected. Change is the only constant.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
What is so racist about that? White Atlantans have been virtually ignored by the mainstream media, mainstream pop-culture, and even the city's politicians for the past 40 years. Whites are moving back to the city, they're percentage is pushing 40%, and now they are making themselves heard politcally. A white mayor would be a statement to the growing population of white Atlantans. And what is so racist about that? Is this not what happened with black Atlantans in 1973??? They made thier voice heard! They were sick of white people running the city! So what?!

A white mayor wont change everything, but it could change a lot. Some people would rather call that change racist because they seem to scared to face the facts. Atlanta changed a lot after 1973, and it will change a lot after 2009 if Norwood is elected. Change is the only constant.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM

YouTube - Mary Norwood - No Special Place for Special Interests

What do you think about 1:07 - 1:21?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The fact that the State of Georgia also has financial issues in no way excuses the issues in the City of Atlanta, and I'm not sure I see how one should impact the discussion of the other.

Each is a very important issue for residents, and a focus on the City of Atlanta is perfectly appropriate in this thread given its subject line.

I don't live in the City of Atlanta, so I mostly read threads like these without participating, but it seems I see more excuses like this when the topic of the City of Atlanta and its problems comes up than anything else.

Why are so many City of Atlanta residents so accepting of poor management?

Does the apparently low standard being espoused in these forums by some explain why it hasn't improved?

Other cities of similar size seem to be able to handle this aspect of being a central city just fine.

What precisely is Atlanta's problem? Why can't it handle being a central city?
You're absolutely right about the issue being the City and not the State. However I'm tired of people constantly pointing their fingers towards to the City when screaming "fiscal mismanagement" while turning a blind-eye towards the State even when there is no election. Truth be told, Franklin has done quite well with the city's finances until the current recession started hitting the public sector. The fiscal crisis that hit Atlanta was also the same one experienced in most cities and states across the country--including the State of Georgia. As I said in another thread, she shot herself in the foot by straining the City's relationship with the State with her participation in the race-baiting John Eaves ad, as well as her standing by a mediocre police chief. I would also echo the dissatisfaction of a previous poster in her cutting back the hours of Atlanta's nightlife.

I strongly believe that most residents are not accepting of fiscal mismanagement as evidenced in the dismissal of Fulton County Sheriff Jackie Barrett, the first black female sheriff in the US, when it became apparent that she was embroiled in a mess of fiscal mismanagement and unethical conduct.

My support for Kasim Reed is, on the contrary, for a better standard of government--especially better than what Mary Norwood could provide. Kasim Reed actually has proposed cost cuts and possible tax increases to fund his initiatives while Mary Norwood proposed a lot with few answers to how she would pay for them.

Of course I'm not so myopic that I don't notice that there are many folks that support Reed because of his skin color. Whether you vote for Reed based on his blackness or for Norwood because of her whiteness--you're a hopeless moron. If you believe that voting for a black candidate automatically equates to "fiscal mismanagement" (I'm not talking about you in any sense, RC. You're one of my favorite posters on these threads ), then you're a moron. Not only is a voter a moron who espouses these obtuse beliefs, but they also make a strong case against democracy.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,087 times
Just vote for someone who expands marta and funds other public transit and adresses crime and I will be happy. Norwood seems retarded because of the skyscraper thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta