Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 PM

304 posts, read 856,222 times

Advertisements

If not now when?
I am an RN in NYC, my husband is a graphic designer we have a 2 year old son and would like another one next year. Some of my friends are telling us to get pregnant first then wait until the child is one to move...in otherwords in 2 years, My husband wants to move and I'd be working first until he finds something. We have 90K approx in savings and absolutely no debts. We hope to find a house after renting for 6 months... I need help! I was offered a job at wellstar the pay was $28/HR plus shift differential. Is Atlanta really in that bad of a shape that it would be difficult for us to make it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
If not now when?
I am an RN in NYC, my husband is a graphic designer we have a 2 year old son and would like another one next year. Some of my friends are telling us to get pregnant first then wait until the child is one to move...in otherwords in 2 years, My husband wants to move and I'd be working first until he finds something. We have 90K approx in savings and absolutely no debts. We hope to find a house after renting for 6 months... I need help! I was offered a job at wellstar the pay was $28/HR plus shift differential. Is Atlanta really in that bad of a shape that it would be difficult for us to make it?
I don't know about the graphic design career field, but I know that the demand down here for nurses is huge! If you going to be the bread winner then I'd say move.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:49 AM

45 posts, read 143,395 times
It sounds like you're in a good position to move. There are a lot of houses on the market here and now seems to be the time to buy. If you already have the job lined up it could be a good opportunity.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times
If you already have a job lined up, MOVE!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
If you have a job lined up move. Life has a way of holding you in place once you have kids. This is your opportunity to change your location before life cements you in place. Go for it!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:44 PM

32 posts, read 81,562 times
I aree with everyone so far, nurses are in serious demand, and the housing market is all about the buyer. You can get a serious deal, proablly even find a decent foreclosed home(there are SO many of them in ATL) for under 70k. From what I understand, the living costs of NYC are crazy! Yeah, you will definately find a good paying job and low living costs here. And, about having your baby, maybe your frinds are just telling you that becasue they don't want you to move! I wouldn't wait!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,507 times
Quote:
If not now when?
you can budget this yes but nursing is not doing too good in atlanta take a look at allnurses.com. the 28 hr is average but it is doable if you watch it.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,707 times
I also agree with everyone that it sounds like a smart time for you to move.

The cost of living is much lower here than in most parts of New York. However, I'm not sure where one poster saw home for under 70k, but it cannot be in a good neighborhood with good schools. As with everywhere, you pay for what you get.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM

306 posts, read 319,552 times
Quote:
If not now when?
No, it is not. Stay in NYC.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM

304 posts, read 856,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
you can budget this yes but nursing is not doing too good in atlanta take a look at allnurses.com. the 28 hr is average but it is doable if you watch it.
That's my concern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta