Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,173,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That is impressive! ATL is now safer than Cincinnati and KCMO. Of course these rankings are based on 2009's totals. 2010 appears to be a more violent year, but we won't know for sure until the totals get tallied up at the end of the year. It could be that this economy is finally causing an increase in crime, not just in Atlanta but everywhere.
It always seems that way from consuming the locals news but the statistics don't necessarily bear that out. I do know that there was a report earlier this year that crime in the city was down significantly in comparison with the same time period in 2009. But even in 2009 it seemed at times as if crime was out of control with the high profile nature of the crimes (smash and grabs etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,387,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
In the 2010 crime rankings Atlanta dropped from 16th to the 25th highest crime rate. Of course thats still in the bottom 10 % of cities in the country but it is at least steady improvement. And if Reed turns out to be a halfway competent mayor, the trend will certainly continue.

CQ press - city

CQ press - metro
But if you listen to folks on here Atlanta is the new Baghdad. Like I said I dont think most of these people have ever lived in other major metros besides Atlanta. I have and Atlanta is the least dangerous by far.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,096,408 times
This is my theory: The difference is who the crime is happening to. Back when ATL was the most dangerous city, crime was mostly happening in bad neighborhoods and in the projects, so you didn't really hear about it. Now the projects are gone and there are less bad neighborhoods, and more middle class people. While the crime overall went down in the city, it actually went up for the middle class groups that were moving in, probably because there are more of them now and they are closer in proximity to the areas that are still bad. Obviously, those people are a lot more vocal about crime and wont put up with the same crime levels that their predecessors did. And when something does happen to one of them, its front page news and "high profile", so it adds to the perception that crime is actually increasing.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM

156 posts, read 432,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
But if you listen to folks on here Atlanta is the new Baghdad. Like I said I dont think most of these people have ever lived in other major metros besides Atlanta. I have and Atlanta is the least dangerous by far.
Wow, you must have lived in some real hell holes. I've lived all over the country in big cities and small towns and have never experienced crime as wide-spread and as violent as in Atlanta. Atlanta can't even have a movie screening in its central park without thugs showing up and beating on random attendees. That's what we get when we're dominated by a culture where family values have eroded so much.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM

747 posts, read 1,539,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
Wow, you must have lived in some real hell holes. I've lived all over the country in big cities and small towns and have never experienced crime as wide-spread and as violent as in Atlanta. Atlanta can't even have a movie screening in its central park without thugs showing up and beating on random attendees. That's what we get when we're dominated by a culture where family values have eroded so much.
"Family values?" How about just common human decency?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:15 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,989,097 times
At least Atlanta isnt as violent as Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, DC, Bmore, Memphis, Philly, New Orleans, Houston,etc

Old 11-23-2010, 11:51 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
At least Atlanta isnt as violent as Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, DC, Bmore, Memphis, Philly, New Orleans, Houston,etc
Can't we be tops in at least something?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,387,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
And what major metro areas would those be? Anchorage? Honolulu? Boise? Salt Lake City?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,532,165 times
I heard on the Radio that Atlanta was one of the poorest major cities in America??? I though the radio personality(carol blacmon) was lying...any truth to this?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,173,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Now I wouldn't go that far because even though there is less total crime, clearly there is still a crime problem in the city. What makes it more really troubling for people is that the crimes in recent years tend to be random, brazen, involve a gun and can happen anywhere. The reasons for that is that these teen and early 20's thugs are roaming about looking for opportunities to take advantage of and as soon as the police presence is boosted in one area, they target another neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta