Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Last thing-we have found that UGA and Tech prefer Wheeler students over Walton and LAssiter and even private schools and more Wheeler kids get into these schools than other East Cobb Schools. Colleges LOVE that kids can be successful in many areas AND enjoy the benefits that diversity have to offer."
Do you mean as percentage of student population? By the absolute number, it is not the case clearly.

http://irhst40.irp.uga.edu/html/eFac.../S03Admiss.pdf

For Atlanta metro high schools

Walton 79
Brookwood 76
Pope 73
Milton 68
South Forsyth 68
Collins Hill 64
Lassiter 64
Northview 62
Chattoohoochee 59
Parkview 55
Roswell 53
Duluth 47
North Springs 47
Centennial 47
Harrison 45
Kennesaw Mountain 45
Peachtree Ridge 45
Marist 43
Wheeler 40

Georgia Institute of Technology :: FACT BOOK (http://www.irp.gatech.edu/apps/factbook/?page=62 - broken link) or Tech web site

Northview High School Duluth 51
Chattahoochee High School Alpharetta 42
Brookwood High School Snellville 41
Starr's Mill High School Fayetteville 41
George Walton Comprehensive HS Marietta 39
Roswell High School Roswell 34
Collins Hill High School Suwanee 34
Alan C Pope High School Marietta 32
Parkview High School Lilburn 31
Kennesaw Mountain High School Kennesaw 31
Duluth High School Duluth 30
Lakeside High School-Atlanta Atlanta 30
Chamblee High School Chamblee 28
Milton High School Alpharetta 27
Norcross High School Norcross 26
North Gwinnett High School Suwanee 26
South Forsyth High School Cumming 26
Centennial High School Roswell 25
Harrison High School Kennesaw 25
Wheeler High School Marietta 24
Lassiter High School Marietta 22

Last edited by xxman777; 07-12-2007 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 01:41 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,424 times
Note that those numbers are students that decide to actually attend UGA or Tech.

There are of course, students who get into the school but choose not to attend. Although, I don't think that really would improve Wheelers stand much on either list. But it does jumble around the top ends of the lists a lot. Northview has a lot of students that get into UGA but would never go attend and Walton has a lot of students that get into Tech but would never go there. (Northview has a lot of northern transplants that wouldn't dream of going to UGA and Walton still has some conservative types that would never dream of setting foot into a place like Tech). But students from GA always end up applying to both UGA and Tech just because they are THE schools in GA, regardless of whether they will go there or not. I applied to UGA, but I would never go there. Also, the northern suburban schools have much more kids (from transplant families) who choose to leave the state for college than places like Snellville and Fayetteville.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 14,357 times
I am deperately seeking an after school program for my middleschooler who is attending Mabry Middle. We are new to the area. I have asked many different people in the area, but they all just tell me that there isn't anything available. The school's response to me was that they don't have any programs because the students get dismissed so late. Well, 4:15 is not "late" to parents who work full-time. My son is very athletic and loves baseball and basketball. I really thought I'd have more options in East Cobb and am disappointed. Does anyone out there have any info that may help us? About ANY good program that may work? I can't be the only person who works full-time in the area and is facing this problem. Can I??? Thanks!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 14,288 times
First of all the person who think that wheeler and sprayberry is not part of East Cobb is crazy. This kid are just as snobby as Walton, Pope and Lassiter. They are all great school some have greater diversity than others, and that not a bad thing. These kids parents all have great deal of money no matter where you live in the East Cobb. And the idea that Sprayberry having security guard is ridiculous. All these schools are safe environments. Now if you want to talk about school with drug problems that would be Walton and Pope and if anyone that says it is not true the2 years ago and it the place for drugs and so is walton. The more money people have, the greater the drug problem

Old 10-19-2007, 12:55 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
OK...here goes:

I graduated from Pope High School. My older brother and sister both graduated from Lassiter (our neighborhood was zoned for Lassiter before Pope was built; my older sister spent her freshman year at Walton...since our neighborhood was zoned for that school before Lassiter was built!).

Anyway, now as an adult and schoolteacher, I would say the best overall high schools are Wheeler and Sprayberry. Like those "wheeler moms" said, the Wheeler cluster is great...you feel the love and community once you step in. I felt it when I briefly subbed in the Wheeler cluster. The Wheeler cluster has a sense of community that is not found at most of the other East Cobb high school clusters. Sprayberry is excellent because the school and community is "secure with itself". The area is middle to upper-middle class, but the people do not bother with all of the pretentiousness and reputation-issues that you find at Lassiter, Pope, and Walton. A student can be student at Sprayberry and therefore thrive.

The only reason Lassiter, Pope, and Walton have good reputations is due to test scores. Any educator can tell you, that is not the way to judge a school! Considering the students that attend Lassiter, Pope, and Walton, the schools are supposed to perform well. There is nothing really innovative going on in these schools.

A truly excellent school is revealed if it has a diverse population (economically, ethnically, special-needs, etc), but is still able to post good test scores. Which high schools get the cake? Wheeler and Sprayberry (especially Wheeler!). Wheeler is doing some magnificent things.

People on this thread...please remember when many people use terms like "bad school", "great school", "best school", "so-so school", etc., it is really code language for:

a) A school's racial composition. "Oh...that's a bad school." Code: larger non-white populations

-or-

b) A simple test scores list/ranking. "Oh...that school is the best in the state." Code: a saw a list of scores, which is all I need to know.

*Beware, realtors are really adept at this!

For those moving to East Cobb and looking for the best value in terms of home, school quality, and community, here are my recommendations:

1. East Valley or Sedalia Park Elementary; East Cobb Middle; Wheeler High

2. Kincaid, Addison, or Mtn. View Elementary; Simpson Middle; Sprayberry High

3. Kincaid, Addison, Bells Ferry, or Blackwell Elementary; Daniell Middle; Sprayberry High

4. Nicholson Elementary; McCleskey Middle; Sprayberry High

Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 14,203 times
Default Need Direction On The Next Steps For My Child ?

Hi,

This thread is pretty informative and I appreciate all for the insights and thoughts.

I have a peculiar situation ..We live in East Cobb (under Sopecreek /Dickerson /Walton) and my child goes to Dickerson (8th grade) and is in Advanced in all the subjects and does very well. My child is gifted and very proficient in Maths/Science/ Social Studies etc., and wants to be a renowned Technocrat ( an Engineer / MBA combination) graduating from Ivy League...

Given this , would it be a good idea to have my child do the Wheeler Magnet (Math/Science/Robotics) or let her continue with Walton High. I understand that there are numerous APs in Walton but the Wheeler Magnet has more focus on the MAths/Science/Robotics etc.,..but I am confused by my "SNOB" friends who advise me that I will "SCREW" my child's life if I join her in Wheeler High, as the Ivy Leagues prefer a High like Walton to Wheeler...I know it does not sound logical..

On the other hand, there are Wheeler supporters who say given my child's accomplishments, even she scores 4.5?? GPA in Wheeler Magnet, she will be in the top 3 of the school ( I know it is very subjective and depends on that year etc.,) and hence it will improve her chances of getting into the Ivy League schools, whereas if she is Walton with similar GPAs, then her chances are not that great...but as a parent I am in a spot where I am scared take to take the decision, fearing I might end-up doing the wrong thing, and unfortunately I don't have enough data points to decide either way...the least is I will send my child to Walton...,but if the Wheeler Magnet is that good and the atmosphere is so diverse I prefer my child go to Wheeler Magnet..I want my child to be balanced,mature and well-grounded rather than snobby,arrogant and intolerant..(Personally we are well to-do socio-economically,with great values and tolerance and I don't want my child to turn into any of my snobb friends...of late I am seeing some change in my middle-schooler...I am worried). I am totally confused and do not have the courage to talk to my child yet.

Can some one help me with the right information and direction ? I totally appreciate it ...Thanks in advance.

Regards

High_Finder

Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
First, the good thing about public school is that it is easier to change than say a job or a marriage in your case. If you try the magnet program and your daughter or yourself are unhappy, you can always return her to Walton.

It is my theory that a student who has supportive parents who are educated and well-off and is a strong academic student with good test scores has a good shot of getting into the colleges of his/her choice. (there have been several books about the elitism associated with admission to the Ivys recently.)

Amazon.com: Creating a Class: College Admissions and the Education of Elites: Books: Mitchell L. Stevens

I think you are right on about the number of students at the top of the class. Many Ivys are notorious for not taking to many students from the same school... so if 10 apply from Walton to MIT and 2 from Wheeler.. the odds are clearly better at Walton.

What does your daughter want?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_finder View Post
Hi,

This thread is pretty informative and I appreciate all for the insights and thoughts.

I have a peculiar situation ..We live in East Cobb (under Sopecreek /Dickerson /Walton) and my child goes to Dickerson (8th grade) and is in Advanced in all the subjects and does very well. My child is gifted and very proficient in Maths/Science/ Social Studies etc., and wants to be a renowned Technocrat ( an Engineer / MBA combination) graduating from Ivy League...

Given this , would it be a good idea to have my child do the Wheeler Magnet (Math/Science/Robotics) or let her continue with Walton High. I understand that there are numerous APs in Walton but the Wheeler Magnet has more focus on the MAths/Science/Robotics etc.,..but I am confused by my "SNOB" friends who advise me that I will "SCREW" my child's life if I join her in Wheeler High, as the Ivy Leagues prefer a High like Walton to Wheeler...I know it does not sound logical..

On the other hand, there are Wheeler supporters who say given my child's accomplishments, even she scores 4.5?? GPA in Wheeler Magnet, she will be in the top 3 of the school ( I know it is very subjective and depends on that year etc.,) and hence it will improve her chances of getting into the Ivy League schools, whereas if she is Walton with similar GPAs, then her chances are not that great...but as a parent I am in a spot where I am scared take to take the decision, fearing I might end-up doing the wrong thing, and unfortunately I don't have enough data points to decide either way...the least is I will send my child to Walton...,but if the Wheeler Magnet is that good and the atmosphere is so diverse I prefer my child go to Wheeler Magnet..I want my child to be balanced,mature and well-grounded rather than snobby,arrogant and intolerant..(Personally we are well to-do socio-economically,with great values and tolerance and I don't want my child to turn into any of my snobb friends...of late I am seeing some change in my middle-schooler...I am worried). I am totally confused and do not have the courage to talk to my child yet.

Can some one help me with the right information and direction ? I totally appreciate it ...Thanks in advance.

Regards

High_Finder
If you want top academics (especially math/science) for your child and diversity (plus a sense of true community and true support not found anywhere else in East Cobb), definitely send your daughter to Wheeler.

Why?

-Wheeler posts high test scores and with a diverse population. Walton's high test scores are just due to "high-income" children. This shows that Wheeler is truly doing some great things.

-Wheeler students (once they go into the real world/college, etc.) seemed to be well-adjusted, happy about their high school experience, and to have had a connection to a community. Other East Cobb high schools (like Walton) have students that didn't really seem to enjoy high school...saying high school was nothing but a "fashion show", you have to do drugs to be popular, worrying about having the right car, etc.

-I really think you (and your daughter) will be very happy if you choose Wheeler. Plus, a girl/young woman who has such an interest in Math/Science is a real jewel...she would thrive at Wheeler...and needs to!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 14,031 times
Just a quick note. I graduated from Sprayberry 2 years ago. There are no security guards or hall monitors for that matter, so i don't know where that came from. Yes maybe there are only about 15 students who went to Georgia tech, but you failed to realize where the other students go. In my class we had many kids that not only got into schools like Vanderbuilt, Yale, Stanford, Georgetown..etc. but also earned scholarships. Half the students ended up going to UGA or Kennesaw which are both also very good schools. Sprayberry is known for its academics and its programs for the arts. Sprayberry has won the National School of Excellence award twice, an accomplishment made by only two other schools.It has also won the Georgia State School of Excellence award and has been named as one of America's top high schools. And yes Sprayberry may be more diverse. and when i attend it i honestly did complain about it, but when i came out, i realized it made me a better person. Your more cultured and are able to comprehend what the real world is like.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 16,631 times
Just to let you all know, maybe Walton and Pope are good schools with grade and test score, but that fact is it one of the Counties biggest schools for drugs. Hard core drugs like coccaine. Some parents want to ignore the problem but I have known people who worked for Cobb County school and they say it seem like the a parents are so worried about things with grade the have a hard time noticing the kids are having problems. Drugs are more prevalent in Kids with higher money because there parents have a hard time believing, not their kid would do drugs also the parents just give them money so the dont know what they are spending it on. Lassiter Sprayberry are less common with hard core drugs, more problems with simple fighting. So each schools have there problem a parent just has to choose which one they would rather deal with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta