Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I don't understand this point of view. Whenever I visit as a tourist to another city I always check out the "city". I don't believe that a lot of tourists will go to DC to check out Fairfax or New York to check out Jersey City or Atlanta to check out Marietta.
Many people travel to visit family...MANY people. If their relatives live in the suburbs, that is often the only area those visitors ever experience. I've encountered lots of people on city-data who have negative opinions of Atlanta only to find out that they didn't even come into the city from whatever suburb they were visiting. Believe me - it happens often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Many people travel to visit family...MANY people. If their relatives live in the suburbs, that is often the only area those visitors ever experience. I've encountered lots of people on city-data who have negative opinions of Atlanta only to find out that they didn't even come into the city from whatever suburb they were visiting. Believe me - it happens often.
I agree with your statement. I'm from NC and my family would come down to Atlanta to visit my older sister when I was younger. She lived in Lithonia at the time and that is all I saw. We never ventured into the city, so my thoughts back then were that it was not much different than Greensboro, NC other than large highways and traffic. Boy did my mouth drop when I moved here and actually saw the city. I didn't even know 90% of Atlanta existed.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 PM

14 posts, read 37,829 times
I feel the biggest problem with ATL is its diversity. Basically it's White and Black culture only. Yes there are small Asian portions and mid eastern, but it's not a diverse city compared to all of the cities in the North East.

For example, the white population is just WHITE. There's no Italian, Jewish, German, Irish, Greek, Polish diversity. The black population is just SOUTHERN BLACK. There's no Jamaican type of diversity. Same situation with Spanish and Asian!

Also there still seems like this hate in the city. I grew up in NJ and went to college and lived in the south for 10 yrs. ATL needs to fix its image and draw more nationalities to make other nationalities want to come there.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawZaw View Post
I feel the biggest problem with ATL is its diversity. Basically it's White and Black culture only. Yes there are small Asian portions and mid eastern, but it's not a diverse city compared to all of the cities in the North East.

For example, the white population is just WHITE. There's no Italian, Jewish, German, Irish, Greek, Polish diversity. The black population is just SOUTHERN BLACK. There's no Jamaican type of diversity. Same situation with Spanish and Asian!

Also there still seems like this hate in the city. I grew up in NJ and went to college and lived in the south for 10 yrs. ATL needs to fix its image and draw more nationalities to make other nationalities want to come there.
You sound informed...Please tell me and my Japanese, Cuban, Haitian, Italian, Irish, and Sri Lankan neighbors more!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:

See, here's the thing. ALL of this is here, it's just spread out. We really don't have many enclaves.

I could take you to neighborhoods 45 miles from Downtown that resemble the U.N.

I know and have worked with many Jamaicans, and people from all over the world for that matter. Atlanta does not always reveal itself to you - sometimes you have to seek it out.

But, trust me when I tell you that there are people and cultures here from every corner of the globe, and not in small numbers.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
You sound informed...Please tell me and my Japanese, Cuban, Haitian, Italian, Irish, and Sri Lankan neighbors more!
Tell it!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:

1. Atlanta is not a city in the Northeast.

2. Atlanta is a Southern city--in fact a major world international city that is the de-facto capital of the American South.

3. You need to travel more--and stop thinking of cities from just a Northeastern U.S perspective.

4. If Atlanta had all of the characteristics you mentioned...guess what? It wouldn't be Atlanta anymore and distinguished as the primate city of the South...on the world, international stage. Why should Atlanta strive to be like Anycity, USA? (Or Anynortheasterncity, USA)? Atlanta's Whiteness (a lot of it Southern) and Southern Blackness (not all of it Southern) makes it Atlanta.

5. You have to look at the American South as a mega-region that functions like a separate country. Atlanta has more in common with a Seoul, a Sao Paulo, a Madrid, or a Kuala Lumpur, etc.

6. Since your historical and city development knowledge is lacking, you need to read these items:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post10579659

//www.city-data.com/forum/6951952-post10.html

I'm done here.

Last edited by aries4118; 12-20-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Great replies so far to that ignorance from yesterday! Might I add that we aren't keen on segregation down here like they are up north. There aren't any Italian, Chinese, Jamaican, etc specific neighborhoods in the city because we find that sort of thing embarrassing.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:07 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
Quote:

Yeah I have Jamaican and German neighbors, my dad and aunt are Greek and I have a German girlfriend, all here in Atlanta Georgia, maybe try and look around a tad bit more?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:25 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times
Quote:

I can prove you wrong, when I first moved to the Atlanta Area I lived with my grandma and we had all type of people living around us.

I made a rough drawing of my street in my neighborhood in Riverdale a suburb of Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta