Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times

Advertisements

It's obvious I'm not the biggest Fan of Atlanta. However I'm curious and you never know one can change his mind.

I'm wondering though what it is about Atlanta that gets threads closed or completely off topic. Why do people get so offense/defensive about Atlanta?

Is it the suburban thing?
the public transportation thing?
the culture thing?

(I've just noticed the 3 above being mentioned numerous times)

Let's share.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,945 times
I think people tend to vent thier frustrations easier online, and the 3 things you mentioned are easy targets. PLus you'll always have trolls who like to stir up trouble because they have nothing better to do.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It's obvious I'm not the biggest Fan of Atlanta. However I'm curious and you never know one can change his mind.

I'm wondering though what it is about Atlanta that gets threads closed or completely off topic. Why do people get so offense/defensive about Atlanta?

Let's share.....
I think Atlanta has a lot of new residents and prospective new residents who post in these forums, myself included, and those people sometimes have very different expectations ... for better or worse ... than those who grew up in the Atlanta area.

Many of us have a lot of experience with living in at least one other comparable metro area, in my case 40 years in the Twin Cities and now 5 years down here, so we think we have a decent basis for comparison.

I sometimes wonder how much real experience some of Atlanta's defenders actually have. I like Atlanta, and I think much of the metro seems to be doing most things the right way (or I wouldn't still be here), but seriously ... some things are REALLY messed up.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

I sometimes wonder how much real experience some of Atlanta's defenders actually have.
Thats a good question. traveling vs. living are two very different things. I've wondered the same thing myself.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
1. Trolls

Then there are people I break up in to four camps.

Camp #1. Those who have never been to Atlanta and all they know about the city is from what they've seen on TV, read on this forum, or elsewhere. Example of something this camp usually says is:

"Atlanta is the HOME of sprawl! It sucks!"

When a quick google search would tell you that the Metro Atlanta area sprawls just about the same as other cities. For instance, Boston and Atlanta have a nearly identical city center population, suburban population, and CSA size, yet people will swear up and down that Boston doesn't sprawl.

Camp #2 The "Everything in the South sucks and is backwards" camp. ]

Not much to explain here, they view anything related to the south as inferior and therefore bad.

Camp #3 The "Atlanta isn't like XYZ city, so it doesn't count"

This camp will say things like "Atlanta doesn't have mile after mile of walkable neighborhoods like New York or San Francisco does so it can't possibly be urban".

Camp #4 The density fetishists.

For this camp, if you city doesn't have an official population density of 10,000 people per square mile, then it's a suburban pee pee hole.

For the most part though, it boils down to people defending their home town, and those who made the original offending post, not backing down.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
1. Trolls

Then there are people I break up in to four camps.

Camp #1. Those who have never been to Atlanta and all they know about the city is from what they've seen on TV, read on this forum, or elsewhere. Example of something this camp usually says is:

"Atlanta is the HOME of sprawl! It sucks!"

When a quick google search would tell you that the Metro Atlanta area sprawls just about the same as other cities. For instance, Boston and Atlanta have a nearly identical city center population, suburban population, and CSA size, yet people will swear up and down that Boston doesn't sprawl.

Camp #2 The "Everything in the South sucks and is backwards" camp. ]

Not much to explain here, they view anything related to the south as inferior and therefore bad.

Camp #3 The "Atlanta isn't like XYZ city, so it doesn't count"

This camp will say things like "Atlanta doesn't have mile after mile of walkable neighborhoods like New York or San Francisco does so it can't possibly be urban".

Camp #4 The density fetishists.

For this camp, if you city doesn't have an official population density of 10,000 people per square mile, then it's a suburban pee pee hole.

For the most part though, it boils down to people defending their home town, and those who made the original offending post, not backing down.
lol!! I am so camp 3!!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Thats a good question. traveling vs. living are two very different things. I've wondered the same thing myself.
On that same note, I wonder how much real experience Atlanta's attackers actually have? I have found that most of the time people who sharply criticize the city are basing it on things they've heard and read on city-data...but they've never even visited Atlanta.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
On that same note, I wonder how much real experience Atlanta's attackers actually have? I have found that most of the time people who sharply criticize the city are basing it on things they've heard and read on city-data...but they've never even visited Atlanta.
Or spent a day in the city at the Airport or in "Buckhead" and think they have the town figured out.

Oh, Camp #5!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,156 times
I've found that many people talk down where they grew up/are from. A new city is always more exciting. Add to that a city that has grown super fast and many that are from Atlanta probably don't realize how great a city and how many opportunities are out there in this city.

I know people from here who think it is boring and you mention things to them that you think everyone who lives here has checked out or done and they haven't heard of it in living here 20 years.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
lol!! I am so camp 3!!
At least you recognize your sin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta