Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall thinks it's time to take a fresh look at a controversial issue -- what time should last call for alcohol be yelled at bars and nightclubs in the city.

Hall introduced legislation Monday requesting the city study the revenue opportunities of expanding the hours to sell liquor from 2:30 a.m. to 4 a.m. City Council President Lisa Borders sent the legislation to the council's Finance/Executive committee for further discussion. Hall wants a summary report by Jan. 30.

'Last call' at 4 a.m. in Atlanta? Official says city should study the idea *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 AM

I dont see the problem with this.

What is the difference at being drunk at 4am verses 2:30am or 2:30pm?

Why is it ok to be drunk during the day at bars (football season), Nascar, professional sports games, restaurants, etc during the day but everybody has a problem with people drinking at night? It’s ok to drink during the day and not at night? Why not ban alcohol 24/7? Doesnt make since to stay you have to stop drinking at 4am but you can drink at 4pm.

What's the difference in me drinking at home at 1pm verses drinking at the clubs at 4am?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I dont see the problem with this.

What is the difference at being drunk at 4am verses 2:30am or 2:30pm?

Why is it ok to be drunk during the day at bars (football season), Nascar, professional sports games, restaurants, etc during the day but everybody has a problem with people drinking at night? It’s ok to drink during the day and not at night? Why not ban alcohol 24/7? Doesnt make since to stay you have to stop drinking at 4am but you can drink at 4pm.

What's the difference in me drinking at home at 1pm verses drinking at the clubs at 4am?
I think it's time for you to take a meeting.

Atlanta Triangle Club, Inc.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM

^^

I don't really drink much plus alcohol is too expensive at the nightclubs/bars. I just think having a last call anywhere is dumb. Its basically saying its ok to drink during the day when most people are out but I can drink late at night when most people are sleep

Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I was teasing you, TG...sorry, couldn't resist.
And seriously, I do agree with your POV. The point has been made many times on here that we are in competition with other convention-oriented cities that have much more liberal serving hours. Besides, Atlanta has not been a '9 to 5' town in some time; people getting off work at 2 am sometimes want a little recreation.
I absolutely think the hours need to be revisited.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 AM

^^^ lol, funny!

Vegas, Atlantic City, Miami, Birmingham,and New Orleans dont even have a last call

NYC and Alaska last call is 4am

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 11-17-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
I believe the last call is not because of a provincial idea that drinking late is "bad" but simply a logistical issue catering to residents of these neighborhoods who complain about dealing with late night partying.

IMO, as I've stated frequently in other similar threads, you should expect some level of nocturnal activity on weekend nights if you live in the city. There can probably be some concessions to appease both sides somewhat, but I'm tired of this city being lame, so this needs to happen sooner than later. I'm not a drinker, but if the bar closes, that generally means the club is closing. 2:00 is just too early to be driving back home on the weekend.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
I think the idea of not having a last call in certain places is a great idea. I think a lot of people would be more apt to go along with that, than blanket rules. It's been stated on here more than once, having certain areas zoned for it would help. Areas such as midtown, downtown, Castleberry Hill, would really benefit from it. I believe that is the councilman's idea as well. We shall see...

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
^^^ lol, funny!

Vegas, Atlantic City, Miami, Birmingham,and New Orleans dont even have a last call

NYC and Alaska last call is 4am
Birmingham doesn't have last call? Who would've thought? Interesting. yeah I think last call is dumb too. but what can you do?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
I couldn't care less since I don't stay out till 4 am or want to but I highly doubt it will change, it was a huge decision to change it to what it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta