Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM

47 posts, read 224,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
- Favorite place for brunch: Thumbs Up Diner/Social House
I've been meaning to try Thumbs Up.

Now that you mention it... I might give "honorable mention" to The Majestic diner on Ponce. Good for tasty food at any hour, and often fun for people-watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
-Favorite club/nightlife district: Eyedrum

-Favorite neighborhood: Candler Park

-Favorite street to take the long way home: Fortunately, the quickest way for me to get home takes me through some nice areas...Carter Center, Candler Park, Fairview Rd, Ponce. Going the long way would be a let down.

-Favorite "local flavor" restaurant: Daddy D'z

-Favorite shopping destination: places that sell LPs and/or used musical instruments.

- Favorite place for people watching: International Concourse of Hatsfield-Jackson Airport

-Favorite underground spot that's not really undeground anymore: Maybe ten years ago I could have answered this.

- Favorite place for brunch: I don't eat brunch foods, but I like Gato Bizco.

- Favorite place for a romantic dinner: Red Snapper.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusBugg View Post
I've been meaning to try Thumbs Up.

Now that you mention it... I might give "honorable mention" to The Majestic diner on Ponce. Good for tasty food at any hour, and often fun for people-watching.
Thumbs Up is pretty great. I had a chicken reuben to take out, and the smell was so enticing I had to just eat it in the car!

Majestic is cool, but it could be better IMO. But little is better than Poncey-Highland/ Little 5 people watching.

Along those lines, does anyone ever notice a consistent pattern in odd mixed race couples on Ponce in Poncey-Highland? I guarantee you if you drive down Ponce at any given time you are almost guaranteed to find at least one crackhead black male/white female couple, seriously guaranteed. I urge you guys to peep that next time you drive down Ponce.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,135,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Thumbs Up is pretty great. I had a chicken reuben to take out, and the smell was so enticing I had to just eat it in the car!

Majestic is cool, but it could be better IMO. But little is better than Poncey-Highland/ Little 5 people watching.

Along those lines, does anyone ever notice a consistent pattern in odd mixed race couples on Ponce in Poncey-Highland? I guarantee you if you drive down Ponce at any given time you are almost guaranteed to find at least one crackhead black male/white female couple, seriously guaranteed. I urge you guys to peep that next time you drive down Ponce.

LOL @ that. Ive noticed that too, I always figured they were holdovers from the Cabbagetown days. I used to work with this guy who was raised in Cabbagetown and he reminded me allot of those white dudes in Philly, both arms covered in tattoos, real loud and brash, and he didnt try and act tough but at the same time you knew he would probably mess you up if you pissed him off. And he said Cabbagetown was always known for being a rough and tumble white neighborhood, and when he showed me pictures of a reunion party they had for everyone from the old Cabbagetown, every one else in the photos had that same really gritty and urban look to them

Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I see allot of you all are mentioning MJQ and Compound.... Im pretty sure I have seen a few of you all out and about. Maybe even tried to hit on some of you ladies....lol

Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Man I was at MJQ last weekend and all I can is it was..interesting. We went on a house/techno night and was NOT feeling it all. Glad all y'all enjoyed it, but I didn't have fun til our crew ventured into the back room for some hip-hopish music (it was some hip hop hits, but they insisted on having a damn techno beat..ugh). It was just a lot going on in there. I need to go back on a better night I suppose.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Man I was at MJQ last weekend and all I can is it was..interesting. We went on a house/techno night and was NOT feeling it all. Glad all y'all enjoyed it, but I didn't have fun til our crew ventured into the back room for some hip-hopish music (it was some hip hop hits, but they insisted on having a damn techno beat..ugh). It was just a lot going on in there. I need to go back on a better night I suppose.

LOL...I usually go on Wednesday nights. If you went on Saturday that might explain something as that is the worst night IMO. And to be honest I started going there because after the Royal Peacock closed because MJQ is the only club where I can *ahem* smoke without being hasseled by security or the police. I also like the mix of people, there are usually people from all walks of life in MJQ. But with that said MJQ is more of a laid back and get wasted with your crew type of place. When I wanna meet and flirt with some cuties I go to the Compound, the W @ Lenox or AJA

Old 11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
I used to go to MJQ a lot when it was in the basement of the Ponce De Leon Hotel. I never really cared for the place after they moved to their current location.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM

There's a bar at the Lenox W? That's the only W I haven't been to yet.

And I was expecting the laid back vibe, which is cool and what we were going for, but it was just the blaring techno that was too much. The best part was the people watching (i.e. an old man with one long dreadlocked beard, this girl who was clearly on something trying to get into a pop-locking circle with her spastic dance moves, hi-lar-i-ous) and us ironically doing the stanky leg to the house music.

I want to try El Bar, it's less known than MJQ and smaller, but has a similar vibe apparently.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
There's a bar at the Lenox W? That's the only W I haven't been to yet.

And I was expecting the laid back vibe, which is cool and what we were going for, but it was just the blaring techno that was too much. The best part was the people watching (i.e. an old man with one long dreadlocked beard, this girl who was clearly on something trying to get into a pop-locking circle with her spastic dance moves, hi-lar-i-ous) and us ironically doing the stanky leg to the house music.

I want to try El Bar, it's less known than MJQ and smaller, but has a similar vibe apparently.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I know exactly who your talking about, was he dark skinned and does that old man have gray knotty dreads and a gray beard??? And the W at Lenox is the spot, they have a couch on the elevator going up to where the club is and every time I go I see some pretty interesting stuff on that couch. A friend of mine got drunk and fell asleep on it only to wake up with some MILF's tongue is his mouth. Its also the only club in Atlanta where I have seen people get turned away for not having on trendy clothes, there is no dress code, but if come in there with some fashions from 5 years ago like a 4x tall tee with some Timberlands they will turn you away. I hate to say it but I kinda like venues like that. And not that you would care but the W @ Lenox usually has nothing less than flawless women, im serious, its like ugly girls dont go there or somthing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta