Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM

16,630 posts, read 29,302,384 times

Advertisements

Sprawl is dead--never to return? Interesting article about spawl and the phenomenon of sprawl in Metro Atlanta...

The phenomenon of sprawl has passed into history | Jay Bookman

Comments? What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,123,860 times
Maybe so, but I'm wary of prognosticators who claim to see and predict huge sea changes in culture and our economy. How many people predicted the actual huge changes that have occurred recently, from the dot com bust to the recent housing market bust? Who predicted 9/11 and the impacts that would have?

What is true is that factors we can't see today or ignore will probably be the drivers that impact our society in the future. We always plan for the last war or the last crisis, and usually it's something new or unforeseen that rears its head.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 AM

927 posts, read 2,216,863 times
Or how New Orleans was at one point a cultural hot bed and tourist mecca one day and the next people were questioning if it would be easier for the the city to not exist! Very good point neil!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,959,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What do y'all think?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahaha--sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,024,939 times
I agree. I think the trend generally is towards people wanting smaller homes (less utility bills, less work etc) and most people also want to be close to shopping etc. Building new subdivisions in the exburbs may not be close to shopping.

Many people are also choosing location and better commutes over a bigger house. I know several people who want smaller homes, say they don't use all the rooms and spend too much time maintaining them and commuting. If there are places where you can infill and sell a house or buy a house where you are close to everything that people want that is more desirable then being way out somewhere. Sure, some people will want to live in the country but more people will prefer to be close to shopping etc whether they choose urban or suburban.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM

719 posts, read 1,691,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe so, but I'm wary of prognosticators who claim to see and predict huge sea changes in culture and our economy. How many people predicted the actual huge changes that have occurred recently, from the dot com bust to the recent housing market bust? Who predicted 9/11 and the impacts that would have.
I wouldn't be so skeptical about that if I were you. The fact is, there are quite a few voices out there crying in the wilderness with many things to say about where we're going, if you care to seek them out and know how to recognize them when you find them. (I'll give you a hint: none of them are on the AM dial and none of them are self-described 'rodeo clowns' for example.)

Not that this study has all the answers, but I think it asks a lot of the right questions. I've posted it on here before and will include it again here since it goes right to some of the issues raised by Bookman's piece.

Trading Places | The New Republic

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM

17,405 posts, read 65,568,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I agree. I think the trend generally is towards people wanting smaller homes (less utility bills, less work etc) and most people also want to be close to shopping etc. Building new subdivisions in the exburbs may not be close to shopping.

Many people are also choosing location and better commutes over a bigger house. I know several people who want smaller homes, say they don't use all the rooms and spend too much time maintaining them and commuting. If there are places where you can infill and sell a house or buy a house where you are close to everything that people want that is more desirable then being way out somewhere. Sure, some people will want to live in the country but more people will prefer to be close to shopping etc whether they choose urban or suburban.
See the thread in the House section I posted-
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...-new-post.html

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,770,712 times
I don't believe it. While I do think it will take several years before things get close to the way they used to be, at some point we'll see tons of cheap stick plywood homes popping up all over the place all over again. Maybe not quite as many brick-and-stucco shopping centers, but no, I don't think sprawl will be dead in metro Atlanta.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,097,030 times
Immigrants will fuel sprawl.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,214,575 times
Sprawl's not going away.

There's a greater liklihood that communities on Earth will sprawl as far as it possibly can, then the infill will begin, and eventually it will look just like that planet in Star Wars that is entirely urban.

Coruscant - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta