Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 09:00 AM

24 posts, read 208,077 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me approximately how long a commute coming from Marietta (I-75 Delk rd exit) to Downtown or Midtown would be during rush hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 10:20 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
I'd guess 20-30 minutes, 10-20 of that getting from Delk to past the 285 exit, then it's smooth sailing (10+ minutes) until the connector which isn't that bad.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 PM

60 posts, read 323,394 times
Really? That seems against logic... really that smooth into town? Is this on the 400?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,634 times
No that would be on 75 but that isn't going to take into account any time you spend on the side roads getting to the highway. The farther you live off the freeway the longer it will take for your commute. The worst of the freeway traffic is outside the perimeter, once you get inside traffic should move quickly assuming there is no accident. Add an accident to the mix and all bets are off.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
I live inside the perimeter off I-75 (near the Cumberland exit) and I can attest that it takes on average ~12 minutes on average to go from the Cumberland exit to the start of the Downtown Connector (about 8 miles). I get off at the 10th Street exit, so I don't get caught in the snarl of the Downtown Connector. But, if you need to continue further down, then it will add on time.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,176 times
I've been from Delk Road exit down 75 into Atlanta many many times.

The segment from 75/285 down to the 75/85 merge is always smooth, even in rush hour. The segment north of 75/285 can be nightmare though, especially if you're unlucky enough to have to go back up north during rush hour in the afternoon. If I'm ever unlucky enough to have to go up that way during that time I always get off at the Cumberland Road or Windy Hill Road exists... as soon as you pass the the Windy Hill Road exit a huge amount of lanes will merge out of nowhere (from 285) and the remainder of 75 northbound going through Marietta will be absolutely packed, even though it's like a whopping 16 lanes.... well, 8 for northbound...

Going southbound can also be hassle, except like I said the segment that goes through residential Buckhead after you pass 285... but once you merge with I85 and the downtown connector starts the traffic will be packed once again at rush hour.... Trust me, don't even try to make it to the North Avenue exit (the first one after the merge) because it won't happen. It usually a good idea to get off at the 10th street exit or perhaps even the northside drive exit if there's an accident.

As for the 12 minutes to go from cumberland to the downtown connector like the above poster said... perhaps if you drive really really slowly. I go down that stretch every single day to get to GA Tech and most people drive 80+ mph on I-75 when the highway is flowing smoothly... it takes like 6 or 7 minutes for that stretch at most...

Old 05-16-2007, 05:38 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
As for the 12 minutes to go from cumberland to the downtown connector like the above poster said... perhaps if you drive really really slowly. I go down that stretch every single day to get to GA Tech and most people drive 80+ mph on I-75 when the highway is flowing smoothly... it takes like 6 or 7 minutes for that stretch at most...
Actually, that 12 minutes is from my condo (Vinings Village) to 10th street. I too travel down to Tech everyday, but I actually drive closer to the speed limit (60-65 mph). I would say the average speed on the highway is more like 70 mph on 75 south in the morning. I used to go about 75 mph until I was pulled over on 75 northbound one night for speeding. 80+ mph is more of an exception rather than the rule on I-75 inside the perimeter.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 PM

60 posts, read 323,394 times
Thanks for the tip... my prospective job is North Ave (company known for selling a popular sugary syrup), so this may have some impact on home selection. Not everything inside the perimeter is City of Atlanta, right? Sandy Springs, for example.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:48 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,176 times
No, not everything inside the perimeter is city of Atlanta.

Sandy Springs is both inside and outside the perimeter. Half of Dekalb County is also inside the perimeter, the vast majority of which does not contain Atlanta city limits.

Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown are the bulk of the actual city of Atlanta. There are also parts south of the city that are not part of the city but still inside the perimeter.

Parts of Cobb county are also inside the perimeter (the small town of Vinings and part of the Cumberland business district).

Old 05-17-2007, 08:28 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
I would be very careful with what people tell you about commuting anywhere in metro atlanta, and metro there can mean 40 miles or so from downtown Atlanta. It is a mess that seems even worse than LA traffic much of the time. You need to get out on the freeway, the route you plan on traveling on a weekday, and see for yourself. Asking people about commute times would vary for people, take a look at the way they drive there, going 80 MPH in bumper to bumper traffic going from lane to lane change trying to rush to be somewhere. GOOD LUCK YOU CAN HAVE THE PLACE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta