Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,663,577 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if Cobb should not consider building the regions next major airport. Most metros the size of this one have TWO major airports and we only have one.
Another reason is that many of the people who use ATL live on the north side of I-20 and the airport is on the south side. Having a major airport in Cobb would be convenient for the people who use it.
Another reason would be to open Atlanta up to more competition and drive fares down. Other airlines like Southwest would love to get gates in Atlanta but the Atlanta Mayor and City Council keep everybody but Delta and AirTran locked out of the market. A Cobb airport would open the market to new airlines.
And Cobb can find space for such a project- or maybe even get the military to close Dobbins- since it is only a reserve base now anyway- and use that for a new airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 PM

173 posts, read 469,439 times
Atlanta owns properties North and West of Atlanta for the express purpose of building reliever airports if need be. The truth is, though, as long as Delta's against the idea, it will probably never happen.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,349,612 times
And nobody wants a commercial airport in their back yard. No matter where you choose to place it, there will be strong local objection to the idea, unless it is placed so far away that it is practically useless.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,171,775 times
^^ Exactly! I'm surprised that the state or some other jurisdiction hasn't tried to build a second airport but the fact of the matter is that its a very difficult thing to do. I can't imagine anywhere in Cobb that wouldn't attract vehement opposition.

The best idea I've heard is to build a second airport somewhere between Atlanta and Athens. That way it could support economic growth in both the Gainesville and Athens metros and possibly have access via the "brain train". Finding an appropriate location is the big problem.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,359,893 times
How do you think the FAA will react to 2 hartsfield traffic zones?

There are plenty of airports to handle private/charter traffic. Mccollum field is plenty for cobb co.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:17 AM

6,201 posts, read 11,808,518 times
Here is a Wiki article about Atlanta's 2nd Airport:

Atlanta's second airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,122,510 times
Why does Cobb need a second airport? Cobb-McCollum is more than capable of handling the private and corporate traffic it now handles. I'm a pilot and fly from Cobb-McCollum and ther field isn't all that busy most of the time.

The Atlanta area has Hartsfield which handles commercial flights, and there are at 4 very useful smaller airports for private and corporate traffic. Cobb-McCollum, Charlie Brown-Fulton, Gwinnett Co - Briscoe, and the largest and most heavliy used: DeKalb-Peachtree (PDK). Most large cities don't have that many jet capable airports within 25 miles of the city center, let alone 2 in the same county.

Now if what you're suggesting is that the metro build a second commercial airport for use by airlines, then I might see the utility in that idea. Putting something north of the metro in Cherokee or Bartow counties that could handle domestic flights would potentially reduce congestion at Hartsfield, but with the 5th runway at KATL, I'm not sure it's even necessary or would be worth the cost or time to build, given the legal challenges that will surely result.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,716,773 times
They (BRAC) need to close Dobbins AFB OR open it up to dual use for the sake of using Dobbins as Atlanta's 2nd Airport.

Sure, sure the locals around will object. I would too if I lived next door, but that's a fact of life. Somebody's going to have to suck it up and deal with it. There is NO better location than Dobbins.
-Dobbins is in close proximity to the city
-The airport could be a little leverage to get to build a MARTA line running NW to Cumberland/Galleria, into Cobb and terminating at the airport. This would make it extra easy to fly from overseas on Delta INTO Atlanta Hartsfield, then take Marta all the way to Dobbins to catch your connecting Delta flight to Pensacola or Charleston, SC or anywhere...
-Dobbins is already kept up, so they won't even need to re-lay any runways. It's runways are already long enough to handle overseas flights. All Cobb will need to do is build a nice terminal and concourses, widen the roads leading to it and even build a parkway or expressway to it, and re-landscape the area around the commercial terminal...

They could name the commercial airport side: Atlanta King International Airport.
(named after Martin Luther King as one of Atlanta's most well known figures)

And it could handle flights from Southwest, JetBlue, Airtran, Midwest, AA, Delta Connection, ASA, Piedmont, TSA, Ted, etc...

Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,384,091 times
So your idea is to close dobbins...which also houses lockheed... to divert air traffic into the middle of Marietta...

Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,293,404 times
Don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta