Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 18,936 times

Advertisements

Home Park seems like some sort of muggers' paradise. I would never go there on foot at night in less I was in a large group (passing through to Atlantic Station for a movie or something). To the east, Midtown seems very nice, however around Ponce or North Ave it gets pretty bad. I can't walk down to Krispy Kreme without being asked for money at least twice and the area just seems to be bad. I'd avoid Centennial Place apartments at night, too, because they're so cheap they bring in some bad things (not to imply that everyone in low cost housing is bad). West Midtown seems to be getting nicer and nicer, although it still seems pretty empty and I don't think I'd want to be a pedestrian there at night, either.

Yeah, for the most part the surrounding areas aren't so good, but campus itself feels safe, more or less, all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM

213 posts, read 421,082 times
Those lil incidents doesn't equal ga tech Being a dangerous campus and area... Just be lucky this wasn't virgina tech or columbine high school...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM

30 posts, read 77,458 times
It can be dicey even walking in a large group - see the latest mugging of 5 people in Homepark on Thursday night. Not to say don't move in, just be aware of where you are walking, who is around you, and don't give people directions at night in the dark. ;-)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM

30 posts, read 77,458 times
I know that the Midtown area is much much safer than it was 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 years ago - especially around the 5th Street/Tech Square area. I know it's even better along North Ave than when I moved here 7 years ago. The stories that get floated around by old GT alumni are actually true and really not that exaggerated.

However, the college students around Georgia Tech are an easy target for criminals and that is why the crimes around Home Park seem to be increasing (and they are/have been for a couple of years). So, easy targets, close to 'hood' areas, lots of side streets to move from neighborhood to neighborhood, and a lot of temporary/transient residents all make Home Park a great place for criminals. The 'permanent' residents have been talking about this problem for the last few years, but there are few of them in relation to the overall student population. The student population (which is a mix of foreign/international students) doesn't know when it is appropriate to call the police or that it IS ok to call the police for things like cars that park on their street and do not belong, or to call the police when people are trying to sell magazines door to door. So a lot of the preventive measures that most people who live in an established neighborhoods would have addressed en masse has not occurred with regards to 'smaller' crimes.

There aren't any easy answers to GT/Home Park's crime beyond just making the environment in the area one that obviously does not tolerate crime of any kind - and that means that everyone needs to be looking out for one another and being willing to call the police for even minor things and not to just accept the crime as something 'normal' and that should be tolerated.

However, I will give major major kudos to the GT Police and the Atlanta Police. I called them once b/c of someone banging on my front door - very threatening guy that had been around the neighborhood the entire day - and I called 911 and 4 police cars were at my house within 2 minutes.

The police care and would rather be called for preventive things rather than after the crime has occurred that harmed someone. We just need to do our part and not depend solely on the police for protection.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
Those lil incidents doesn't equal ga tech Being a dangerous campus and area... Just be lucky this wasn't virgina tech or columbine high school...
You don't have to have incidents like those to state that crime is on the rise on and near campus. Is it "dangerous"? Maybe not, but it is certainly "more dangerous" than it was 1-2 years ago.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Home Park Going Hi-Tech - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Old 06-19-2010, 02:54 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,109 times
Here's some wonderful free technology! That we're making you pay for!!!

Not to poo-poo the idea, because I'm elated to see any efforts to step up crime prevention in Home Park. But I could have done without the tone of faux generosity about a company clearly trying to make lots o' money here. (Which is their right, of course, but it's annoyingly presented as altruism or something.)

Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Also, if you're getting mugged, are you actually going to have time to whip out your cell phone and dial 911-Atlanta? And then do you hold it up and say, "Ha, ha, Mugger Dude, I have just activated a remote controlled camera which is up on one of these telephone poles and may be capturing your every move!"

Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Also, if you're getting mugged, are you actually going to have time to whip out your cell phone and dial 911-Atlanta? And then do you hold it up and say, "Ha, ha, Mugger Dude, I have just activated a remote controlled camera which is up on one of these telephone poles and may be capturing your every move!"
You better not try to pull that one on a mugger ... you better check yourself before you wreck yourself. This technology would be best used for after the fact apprehension of criminals and reporting of suspicious activity.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
You better not try to pull that one on a mugger ... you better check yourself before you wreck yourself. This technology would be best used for after the fact apprehension of criminals and reporting of suspicious activity.
True. You never know when one of those little nitwits might be carrying a gun. They don't have to have to know squat about firearms to cause harm at close range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta