Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM

73 posts, read 143,520 times

Advertisements

Hello:
We are going to be visiting Atlanta in the next two months. We want to search the area and see few places to finally decide if moving over there is the right fit for our family.
My question is if I book a hotel in metro atlanta without renting a car are we going to be able to see like midtown and also we want to visit Decatur and other suburbs, is this possible without a car? we just want to ride in Marta and lets say visit downtown decatur, is this possible?
We just want to get a real feel of Atlanta, we haven't been there before but I do have the feeling is the right place for us. We are in the NE and can't take this anymore.
We need help trying to figure out how to stay at a hotel in the metro Atlanta but yet be able to see most important parts of the city as well as to have a feel of the suburbs(Decatur) without renting a car( I hear Decatur is very walkable and have Marta access).
Are we in the right path?
I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post
Hello:
We are going to be visiting Atlanta in the next two months. We want to search the area and see few places to finally decide if moving over there is the right fit for our family.
My question is if I book a hotel in metro atlanta without renting a car are we going to be able to see like midtown and also we want to visit Decatur and other suburbs, is this possible without a car? we just want to ride in Marta and lets say visit downtown decatur, is this possible?
We just want to get a real feel of Atlanta, we haven't been there before but I do have the feeling is the right place for us. We are in the NE and can't take this anymore.
We need help trying to figure out how to stay at a hotel in the metro Atlanta but yet be able to see most important parts of the city as well as to have a feel of the suburbs(Decatur) without renting a car( I hear Decatur is very walkable and have Marta access).
Are we in the right path?
I appreciate your help.
You can certainly do it, but please be aware that you will really be limiting yourself without a car. Keep in mind that while Decatur is indeed a suburb, it is a very close-in and older area (actually predates the City of Atlanta).

One could definately stay at a hotel adjacent to MARTA and cover the areas you mentioned, but there is so much that is beyond the reach of the train system.

IF you do want to just stick to taking the train, there is a nice Holiday Inn right in the heart of Downtown Decatur, about 1 1/2 blocks from the train station.

There are loads of hotels Downtown near several stations.

In Midtown, the Renaissance Hotel is across from North Ave. Station, and within two blocks you also have the Georgian Terrace and Hotel Indigo.

Near the Midtown Station (on 10th St), you have the Regency Suites, the Hotel Midtown, Palomar Hotel and the Marriott Residence Inn.

Near Arts Center Station are the W Midtown, Four Seasons, Marriott Suites and the Artmore Hotel.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Search Atlanta Hotels by Location & Amenities – Save on Hotels in Atlanta

Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 PM

73 posts, read 143,520 times
Thank you.
If I stay at Holiday Inn in downtown Decatur, would I be able to go to downtown and see most of the city?
What are other areas in your opinion I need to see, either for leisure or for my own learning about the city?
Thanks again

Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post
Thank you.
If I stay at Holiday Inn in downtown Decatur, would I be able to go to downtown and see most of the city?
What are other areas in your opinion I need to see, either for leisure or for my own learning about the city?
Thanks again
You sure can. It would be about a 15 minute ride to Downtown from Decatur.

Check out the link to the Convention & Visitors Bureau I gave you. Everything you could possibly want to know will be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: