Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 AM

188 posts, read 680,372 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning a surprise trip for middle of Feb-2010 ( Feb 13 - Feb 16) for our 4th anniversary. Our daughter would be 10 months old by then. At this point, I am thinking about a road trip ( up to 6hrs one way) but am open to air travel.

Our main aim is to lay back and relax. My wife does not like cold weather and I on the other hand did not even wore a jacket today ( was 36F this morning at 6:20AM). We both are not super interested in exploring all the things. So I am leaning towards nice scenic places.

We have been to Gatlinburg, Chattanooga, Savannah, Orlando.

I have thought about following and my comments on it

1) Charleston, SC / Myrtle Beach - Beaches are main attraction here. Since weather is out of my control, it's a big gamble with this location and with any other *beach* locations like Miami/Pensacola etc

2) Blue Ridge, GA - May be this is good only for a one day visit rather than 3-4 days. We would not be interested in hiking, kayaking etc because of the baby.

3) Jacksonville, FL - Not sure what this town has to offer. Since we liked Savannah ( history and architecture), I feel this is a safe bet as many people have told us these two towns are similar.

4) Nashville, TN - Don't know much. A cursory internet search did not show me any attractions worth travelling for.

I really need suggestions on planning and making this trip successful. Could members here suggest any appropriate places ?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM

199 posts, read 627,811 times
St Augustine is a very interesting and nice place. if you go, i would recommend the edgewater inn. it is right on the water facing the main part of town.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM

30 posts, read 81,013 times
Like MikePayne, my first thought was St. Augustine. Being the oldest city in the U.S., they have a lot of history to offer. The old town tourist area is very nice. You can also explore an old fort and other older buildings. I believe they also offer a Haunted St. Augustine tour.

If you and your family are into the arts scene, Asheville, NC is fun, too. They have a lot of arts and crafts, though I'm sure the NC mountains will seem pretty chilly to your wife in February.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks mikepayne & ArepasandGravy. I and my wife both enjoyed Savannah's rich history. My wife is a structural engineer and she really liked the old victorian type of homes and the layout of gardens etc. So there is high probability she might like this.

A colleague of mine suggested Birmingham, AL and near by Tuscaloosa Forest. He does not have first hand information. Since Birmingham is so close by, it would not be a big ordeal for my wife if baby does not cooperate. Any thoughts on attractions in and near Birmingham?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellur View Post
Hello,

I am planning a surprise trip for middle of Feb-2010...

My wife does not like cold weather...

2) Blue Ridge, GA

TIA
Based on the underlined and bolded portions, I would take the italicized location out of consideration.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
All of these places, with the exception of Jacksonville, will be cold in Feb. You may get lucky and get that random 75 degree weekend in Feb. but not likely. Orlando is 7-8 hours and a bit further South. Seaside, FL is near Destin and is beautiful too...only 5 hours but again, not warm enough for swimming but still pretty and lots to do.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 AM

Thanks JPD and Sweettea.

Our anniversary is in the third week of Feb and President's day falling in that week will give us a long weekend and a much needed break. So I can't change the dates.

I will definitely research about Seaside, FL.

I want to know opinion from people here if they have traveled along with another couple on their anniversary get aways? We have very close friends who are part of our every weekend activities and I feel that if they accompany us then they can baby sit for us while we enjoy a couple of hours of togetherness. Neither me nor my wife are willing to leave the kid with them for more than 3 to 4 hours.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
I wouldn't want another couple with me on my anniversary and I've always been successful using hotel babysitters, especially in nice places. Check out Watercolor Inn (town next to Seaside) and talk to the Concierge for information on babysitting if you feel comfortable. This way you'll have the entire weekend to yourselves and can go out as you please without feeling guilty that you brought your friends along to babysit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta