Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times

Advertisements

The schools in Scarsdale are much better than any public schools you'll find here. Some Atlanta schools are good, no contesting that, but they don't compare to Westchester, especially Larchmont, Scarsdale, etc. The way I think of it is this: for what you'd pay in taxes in Westchester you'll pay in private school tuition here. Don't mean to be negative Nellie, but I've lived in both places and have friends in both and there is a huuuugggeeeee difference. Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 PM

133 posts, read 629,307 times
Thank you sweattea1...it was what I feared. So, how do the private schools compare? How can I find out that information? Private schools never publish test scores, etc! Would Woodward or Galloway compare to Scarsdale?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times
Woodward and Galloway are excellent schools. So are Lovette (sp?), Westminister, The International School and a host of religious (Judaic and Christian schools), just to name a few. I'm not a big test score person so I'm not sure where to get this info. But I can vouch for the success of the grads in terms of high school, college and beyond. But I'm sure others will weigh in.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM

60 posts, read 304,909 times
i would say Walton, Northview and Chattahoochee are prob the closest to Scarsdale caliber in the public arena.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,017 times
Something to keep in mind is the fact that GA is making massive cuts to education. Another $39 million will be cut statewide by June. This could result in larger class sizes. Other ideas that are being kicked around some districts are a shorter school week (4 days of longer hours) or less than 180 instructional days if worse really comes to worse. We are also expecting large teacher layoffs in the spring again. I don't have specifics by district, but things are getting worse not better.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,792 times
I don't think that you can judge by middle schools. Almost every one gets discouraged by their middle school at one time or another (comes with the territory). I also think that it depends on your children, abilities and interests when you are looking at schools. I had three children who were all in AP courses in high school, one "average" student and one with with special education needs so it doesn't matter how many AP classes the school offers. I also see that there are some very interesting magnet schools that can appeal to those students with more focused interests. Also, if you have an athlete you should consider sports opportunities.

In other words, what is "best" really depends on the student/family.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
Thank you sweattea1...it was what I feared. So, how do the private schools compare? How can I find out that information? Private schools never publish test scores, etc! Would Woodward or Galloway compare to Scarsdale?
lbsing,

You can listen to all of the naysayers you want, (be careful not to just look for responses that confirm your "fears"), but based on your responses and your criteria (neighborhood, commute, and schools), I think you will be very happy in these school districts:

-City Schools of Decatur

-Grady High Cluster (Inman Middle, Grady High)

-Riverwood High Cluster (Ridgewood Middle, Riverwood High)

-Norcross High Cluster (Pinckneyville Middle, Norcross High)

*and this is from an educator that has extensive experience working in all three school settings you mentioned! (Intown Atlanta, International School Overseas, High-Caliber Northeast Suburban District very similar to Scarsdale!)

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

(Other good high schools to consider intown: Lakeside and Druid Hills. Sutton is a great intown middle school.)

Last edited by aries4118; 12-08-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I don't think that you can judge by middle schools. Almost every one gets discouraged by their middle school at one time or another (comes with the territory). I also think that it depends on your children, abilities and interests when you are looking at schools. I had three children who were all in AP courses in high school, one "average" student and one with with special education needs so it doesn't matter how many AP classes the school offers. I also see that there are some very interesting magnet schools that can appeal to those students with more focused interests. Also, if you have an athlete you should consider sports opportunities.

In other words, what is "best" really depends on the student/family.
Good post. (See highlighted above). This is very important for people to know.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 AM

133 posts, read 629,307 times
Thanks so much for the help! I had never heard of Riverwood High School. I had a look at their website...it certainly looks promising! I was very excited about the International Studies Magnet and of course it being an IB World school. This is exactly why I posted here. I knew there had to be some good schools in Atlanta somewhere! Thanks to all of you again! How is Sandy Springs these days...has it changed?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
Thanks so much for the help! I had never heard of Riverwood High School. I had a look at their website...it certainly looks promising! I was very excited about the International Studies Magnet and of course it being an IB World school. This is exactly why I posted here. I knew there had to be some good schools in Atlanta somewhere! Thanks to all of you again! How is Sandy Springs these days...has it changed?

Glad to help. Definitely look into Riverwood High School...it is very sought-after and doing great things.

The middle school, Ridgeview is also doing great things. They are very adept at reaching all of their populations--their Middle Years IB Programme (not a magnet...it's for all students!) is great and they also have a really good foreign language program.

Ridgeview Charter School

*There was a great article in the AJC written a few years ago about Ridgeview, but I can't locate it (about the school's innovative way of doing things...).

More helpful info...

FCBOE - Student Placement (http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/index.htm - broken link)
*(Choose "Riverwood" or "Ridgeview" or "North Fulton/Sandy Springs Middle Schools" or "North Fulton/Sandy Springs High Schools")

Good Luck!

Oh, and Sandy Springs is nice...it would be a great place for your family considering your background living internationally and in Scarsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta