Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 77,580 times

Advertisements

I am a recent transplant to Atlanta from NY and prior to getting here and even now that I am here its been told to me that "black ppl in Atlanta make money....Atlanta is the best place to live for black right now" So my question is where is the money? I've been here for almost 3 mos and still don't have a job......And biggest questions is what ppl make up the wealthy blacks in Atl? Meaning like actors, athletes, and artists? Or is there an abundance of ppl that worked hard and made it? Cause if all the hype is cause of JD and ppl like him then that's not opportunity...I'm not looking to be an artist or anything of the sort...so what types of opportunities are really out here????? Please let me know..

thx

Old 08-23-2008, 06:29 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataya1280 View Post
I am a recent transplant to Atlanta from NY and prior to getting here and even now that I am here its been told to me that "black ppl in Atlanta make money....Atlanta is the best place to live for black right now" So my question is where is the money? I've been here for almost 3 mos and still don't have a job......And biggest questions is what ppl make up the wealthy blacks in Atl? Meaning like actors, athletes, and artists? Or is there an abundance of ppl that worked hard and made it? Cause if all the hype is cause of JD and ppl like him then that's not opportunity...I'm not looking to be an artist or anything of the sort...so what types of opportunities are really out here????? Please let me know..

thx
Its the black mecca no other cities besides area's of Dc doesnt have all black upscale neighborhoods/wealth like Cascade/Camp Creek,etc. Those people dont have their homes by selling peanuts on the streets. They are lawyers, business owners, doctors, old money, they are in real estate, they might have sold there 600k home in another state and spend maybe half that amount on a house in Atlanta and saved the rest. If you come to Atlanta with no plan/business plan thinking a pot of gold is going to land in front of your residence because you are black moving moving to the Atlanta then u are wrong. If you worked at church's chicken in Ny and transferred to Atlanta to work the same job thinking you was going to become rich overnight in Atlanta because you are now in the black mecca then u were wrong. Its all about having a business or having some type of job that brings in a lot of money. Moving to Atlanta with no skills that will bring you in those dollars and looking for that pot of goal to fall on your lap isnt going to work

where is the money? The money is all around you, get your hustle on. The little green man from mars isnt going to come to you with the master plan on how to get rich. You either have it or not.

what ppl make up the wealthy blacks in Atl? Dont know the % but take a drive in the communities in south fulton and south dekalb and you will see the wealth. Certain people drive into those all black neighborhoods and when they see all black people living there they drive off fast like OJ SImpson in the high speed chase

Last edited by chip1980; 08-23-2008 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 PM

67 posts, read 272,777 times
Wow, people still believe that myth? LOL... I have news for all the weak-minded idiots who come here like sheep: There are already thousands of Moderator Cut: Prejudiced remark blacks with their hands out who came before you looking for the promised land. They didn't find it and neither will you. Grow a brain and form your own identity. The blacks here have tapped out the system. There's no room and no sympathy for more!

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-23-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 PM

171 posts, read 664,048 times
The jobs are all over the place in Atlanta metro. I don't know what profession or skills set you possess. You have to sell yourself higher than your competition. Some people haven't had luck in finding a job in longer time frames than yourself, be patient, it will come in time. Some employers are doing layoffs like AirTran and other's are hiring. In the mean time you may have to look into taking a job you may not want until some else better comes along.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:34 PM

67 posts, read 272,777 times
I don't know why my statement was censored. If I said something that was factually inaccurate then feel free to dispute it and I will stand corrected. But as far as I see there is nothing amiss in my comment and I stand by my remarks as oriniginally written.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
nataya, it's hype.

If you do some searching on the boards, you'll find past conversations on the topic, and you'll find a number of professional blacks who make the, "so - this is it??" comment about Atlanta when they get here.

Atlanta has been hyped up as a "mecca" by black-owned magazines, corporate head hunters, and realtors from across the country. I don't think anyone (white, black, or other) has ever exactly figured out why other than that fact that Atlanta is a growing city and has a large black population - which on its own doesn't quality a place as a "mecca", so much, really.

It's slowly dying down, and nowadays, Charlotte is the new "mecca" - and again, not many can figure that one out either.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 PM

First off ppl dont get it twisted I came here for love...not just cause it was ATL...frankly I am ready to move back already but I am trying to give this place a chance with an open mind!!!!!! Idiot is something Ive never been and never once did I expect the street to be paved with Peach-money trees!!!! My question was basically saying WHAT IS ALL THE HYPE ABOUT? This city aint no different from any other city and actually is alot slower than places like MIAMI or TAMPA(still the south). I wouldnt dare compare it to NY cause they have no similarities except for black ppl (lol). This isnt about no up north/dowon south thing. Honestly I could care less about owning a big house in a black community when I got to drive an hour to get anywhere that worth going only to then drive another 30-40 min cause that place wasnt bout nothing.....Im glad to see black ppl getting ahead but why can they only do it here? And why are so many of then losing these same houses? Yeah Yeah I know the mortgage companies...but it seems to me they didnt do theyre homework well enough so whose the idoits? And from what Im seeing if there is so much money out here why are the natives working burger king and walmart jobs?

Thanks atlantagreg and Pcola for your input.

Last edited by nataya1280; 08-24-2008 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Just because you own a house doesnt make you wealthy ..... you can get more land for less money and you still pay a mortgage so that not wealth you just over broke like everywhere/everybody else in the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Its the black mecca no other cities besides area's of Dc doesnt have all black upscale neighborhoods/wealth like Cascade/Camp Creek,etc. Those people dont have their homes by selling peanuts on the streets. They are lawyers, business owners, doctors, old money, they are in real estate, they might have sold there 600k home in another state and spend maybe half that amount on a house in Atlanta and saved the rest. If you come to Atlanta with no plan/business plan thinking a pot of gold is going to land in front of your residence because you are black moving moving to the Atlanta then u are wrong. If you worked at church's chicken in Ny and transferred to Atlanta to work the same job thinking you was going to become rich overnight in Atlanta because you are now in the black mecca then u were wrong. Its all about having a business or having some type of job that brings in a lot of money. Moving to Atlanta with no skills that will bring you in those dollars and looking for that pot of goal to fall on your lap isnt going to work

where is the money? The money is all around you, get your hustle on. The little green man from mars isnt going to come to you with the master plan on how to get rich. You either have it or not.

what ppl make up the wealthy blacks in Atl? Dont know the % but take a drive in the communities in south fulton and south dekalb and you will see the wealth. Certain people drive into those all black neighborhoods and when they see all black people living there they drive off fast like OJ SImpson in the high speed chase

Old 08-24-2008, 12:04 AM

Are you an Altanta native Atlantagreg?

Last edited by nataya1280; 08-24-2008 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataya1280 View Post
First off ppl dont get it twisted I came here for love...not just cause it was ATL...frankly I am ready to move back already but I am trying to give this place a chance with an open mind!!!!!! Idiot is something Ive never been and never once did I expect the street to be paved with Peach-money trees!!!! My question was basically saying WHAT IS ALL THE HYPE ABOUT? This city aint no different from any other city and actually is alot slower than places like MIAMI or TAMPA(still the south). I wouldnt dare compare it to NY cause they have no similarities except for black ppl (lol). This isnt about no up north/dowon south thing. Honestly I could care less about owning a big house in a black community when I got to drive an hour to get anywhere that worth going only to then drive another 30-40 min cause that place wasnt bout nothing.....Im glad to see black ppl getting ahead but why can they only do it here? And why are so many of then losing these same houses? Yeah Yeah I know the mortgage companies...but it seems to me they didnt do theyre homework well enough so whose the idoits? And from what Im seeing if there is so much money out here why are the natives working burger king and walmart jobs?

Thanks atlantagreg and Pcola for your input.
Most people are like you, move down thinking they are going to become rich overnight with no plan. Stop watching BET so much. People work at burger king all over america. Atlanta will always be the black mecca, no other city has blacks in position like Atlanta does besides DC. Charlotte has nothing on Atlanta. If anybody thinks so they need to get out more. In closing, nobody is going to hand you nothing. If you moved to Atlanta with no plan expecting to be rich overnight you will probably be right back in Ny soon. As far as Atlanta being slow, Id rather live slow in Georgia verses playing $1500 for a studio apartment in ny with rats as big as cats outside.

I wouldnt call it "hype" unless you moved down with no plan and ended up moving back home. Its plenty of blacks that have came down with a plan and they are living good.

If you think its hype, answer these questions for me....

1. What job skills do you have? (education)

2. Did you expect a handout when you moved down?

3. Why did you leave Ny and move down without a job?

4. Why didnt you move down without a plan?

Last edited by chip1980; 08-24-2008 at 12:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta