U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 18,553 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Considering a relo to the Duluth area and am wondering about private junior and senior high schools.

Can anyone provide some insight on academics, types of students they attract and any concerns regarding drugs, etc. with the following day schools:

* Wesleyan School in Norcross
* Saint Francis Middle / High School in Alpharetta
* Greater Atlanta Christian School in Norcross

Also, wondering about one boarding school:
*Tallulah Falls School

Are there other schools we should consider?

Thanks for all feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,722,991 times
All private schools have drugs -- all affluent public schools too.

Does your student have learning challenges that might require very small classes? St. Francis is a school for students who are intellectually normal (or higher) but might learn differently. It is very structured and has very small classes. Has some very strong students and some less strong students. Despite its name, St. Francis is not a religious school. (No idea where the name came from.)

Greater Atlanta and Wesleyan are Christian schools. Very Christian, depending on your perspective. Both are good schools -- but some parents feel that in high school there aren't enough AP opportunities.

Some of the best public high schools in the state (and probably in the country) are in or near Duluth. Any particular reason for leaning private?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Private Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
All private schools have drugs -- all affluent public schools too.

Does your student have learning challenges that might require very small classes? St. Francis is a school for students who are intellectually normal (or higher) but might learn differently. It is very structured and has very small classes. Has some very strong students and some less strong students. Despite its name, St. Francis is not a religious school. (No idea where the name came from.)

Greater Atlanta and Wesleyan are Christian schools. Very Christian, depending on your perspective. Both are good schools -- but some parents feel that in high school there aren't enough AP opportunities.

Some of the best public high schools in the state (and probably in the country) are in or near Duluth. Any particular reason for leaning private?
We are coming out of private (Catholic) school in Massachusetts and like the tighter focus on how the student is doing and regular communication with the parent. No LD issues, just looking for the best college prep schools that offer both academics and team sports programs.

Are there other private schools within a reasonable distance to Duluth we should consider? One concern is that public schools seems much larger than what we are used to (500 student HS population), Catholic would be nice but not essential. Although we are looking at day schools, are there any boarding schools nearby that should be considered? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,722,991 times
If you are a practicing Catholic family, Greater Atlanta and probably Wesleyan would not be tops on my list.

St. Pius High School is a very good Catholic High School, though it is inside the perimeter. Blessed Trinity is suppose to be very good. There is also Marist, which is not a diocese school, but another kind of Catholic school and is the most competitive of the three. I can't speak for BT, but you should be able to find carpools fairly easily to Pius and Marist.

Pius and BT don't start until 9th grade but many families put their students in Catholic k-8 schools before hand (Our Lady of the Assumption, St. Judes, etc) . Marist is 7th-12.

If your job is in Duluth, you could actually live closer in and have a reverse commute to your job. Dunwoody would put you in close proximity to both Pius and Marist as well as some Catholic K-8 schools.

If your move is imminent, you need to be in the admissions cycle now for next school year.

If you are looking for Exeter/Andover type boarding schools, I wouldn't think Tallulah Falls is it. However, you should investigate Darlington in/near Rome Georgia and McCallie in Chattanooga. These are among (or are the?) most respected boarding schools in the southeast.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 01-02-2010 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,246,936 times
Notre Dame Academy is another Marist-run school and runs through Middle School. They are located in Duluth, and have an IB program that is supposed to be quite good. I think that it is an up and coming school, and would be a good "feeder" into the big Catholic high schools in the area.

I agree with lastminutemom re: Wesleyan and GAC. Both are fairly evangelical Christian schools, and may be out of your comfort zone. I do know several Catholic families at Wesleyan, but it seems they're moving further and further away from non-denominational Christian curriculum and more heavily into the Southern Baptist style of Christianity. St. Francis is trying hard to overcome their image in the community as just an LD school; they do have typical students as well, but just be aware that part of their mission is serving kids with relatively mild LD's/ADHD. I have heard families say that they think the "typical" students there are held back to some degree by the LD students (not first-hand knowledge, just chatter I've heard).

There's also the Rabun Gap-Nacoochee Boarding School, but I don't know their reputation outside of Georgia.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:08 PM

188 posts, read 552,480 times
Definitely consider Pinecrest Academy in Cumming, then. It's not too far from Duluth (though the traffic crossing the river is a bear). It's preschool through 12th grade, and though it's rather new, it's developed a pretty good reputation fairly quickly. I think more and more families who do the K-8 Catholic schools in North Atlanta, are sending them to Pinecrest for high school, instead of sending them ITP. What I like about Pinecrest (though my kids don't go there) is that from 4th grade on it's single sex (the kids are on the same campus but the classrooms are single sex).

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 32,330 times
If the arts are important, Mount Paran Christian School in Cobb County has an excellent arts center.

I would also look at some of the public schools. Some of the schools in Cobb county are very similar to private schools. We went from private in Columbus to public in Cobb and were actually more pleased with the Cobb schools than our former Catholic private school. I cannot speak for other counties, but in Cobb we have a very driven focus on academics and have many international students. Drugs, well you'll find those anywhere. Public may have more drugs, but if your child can choose good friends/make good decisions they can go without ever seeing drugs/its affects, even in some of the most drug heavy schools.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,067,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingRelo View Post
Hi All,

Considering a relo to the Duluth area and am wondering about private junior and senior high schools.

Can anyone provide some insight on academics, types of students they attract and any concerns regarding drugs, etc. with the following day schools:

* Wesleyan School in Norcross
* Saint Francis Middle / High School in Alpharetta
* Greater Atlanta Christian School in Norcross

Also, wondering about one boarding school:
*Tallulah Falls School

Are there other schools we should consider?

Thanks for all feedback!
Rank Tallulah Falls high on your list. It has a long tradition of excellence, class sizes are small and there is ample financial aid available. Tallulah Falls is sponsored by the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs. I am an officer in one of our metro Atlanta clubs. DM me if you have any questions. As previous posters suggested, Darlington in Rome is another excellent boarding school for both sexes.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 01-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Left out information

Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 81,057 times
Wesleyan has an open house on January 9 at 1pm for the whole family if you are interested in touring. We are applying to kindergarten there.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 AM

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. We are planning to visit many of these schools in the coming weeks. Expect a few more questions in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta