U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM

84 posts, read 173,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
j-e-a-l-o-u-s-y--how can you tell me this---riding your bike without worrying about being critically injured in vicious traffic. I need a protected environment to ride a bike---lol--I need a protected environment in general the way I am---thinking about many things while driving and always ready to change the radio station--one cannot drive in Atlanta with the wrong song on the radio--it requires high level multi tasking skills to get those stations changed in a timely manner. No, I never talk on a cell phone while driving--much too busy watching the insanity of lane changing without signals, listening to the blaring horns of the SUV drivers if I don't hit the gas the second the light changes or traffic moves an inch and at any time there could be road construction and we all fume. Some prefer to drive the exact speed limit---such as the individual who drove 35 MPH down LaVista Rd Saturday--I thought I would die---about 5 miles---no passing and it seemed to take an hour. People will cross Clairmont Rd at any time they feel so moved ---have to always keep an eye peeled so as not to commit vehicular homicide.

Bet your wife still wishes she was back in the Twin Cities. I can only hope and pray that I don't have to make a trip to the Barrett Parkway during its infamous rush hours---I have seen a couple. I'm am just not 'Brave' enough to live on the NW side of town. Sounds good though--from what you all say.

Over here---Emory area--we enjoy the PATH trail in Mason Mill Park--some ride dirt bikes in the woods---lots of parents take the kids in strollers on the bridge--connects to Medlock Park and I walk my dog. It's nice enough---they are planning to do more to Mason Mill Park --center for special populations---lol---'Seniors'---guess we don't really need miles of bike riding trails. Maybe some sort of golf cart trail?

I am thinking of heading 'East'--toward Lawrenceville---they have really done a nice job with the restoration of the historic district and my friends migrated to the Northeast...

We'll see. What a huge city Atlanta has become---you all should have seen it 50 years ago, 30 years ago, even 20 years ago--we really could go everywhere ---across town and up and down without much problem.

Xanax is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM

81 posts, read 249,381 times
Unhappy Wow!!!

Quote:
Spanx, rc---I need to get over that way again. I am so terrified when I get on I75--that I just keep my eyes on the road, white knuckles and drive for my life--I see signs--Marietta, Kennesaw and all things beyond.

I was coming back from 'way out there'--???not Powder Springs--but one of the further northern points in Marietta a couple of years ago--in my Honda Civic---I looked up and saw the sign for 'Atlanta'---left lane and I went over---in front of a tractor trailer truck. The Honda did well--spun across several lanes--hit in the driver's door and the back passenger door---someone helped me move it to the side and the HERO guy put the little spare on it--I drove it home. Really scared of the flying traffic in your area--truck route and it is beyond my driving skills.

Silver Comet Trail is something I want to see--so I should learn where it is--sounds great---lol--The PATH people in NE Atlanta boldly ride on Clairmont, N. Druid Hills and Briarcliff---fearless types--I couldn't do that. But I did enjoy riding a bike as a kid and would like to do that again. If you can ride without dodging cars on the Silver Comet Trail--that sounds good to me--wherever it is.

Happy 2010.
I thought ONLY those of us from slower paced cities drive with white knuckles on I-75 there in Cobb county. It is quite frightening.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,859,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriexxx View Post
I thought ONLY those of us from slower paced cities drive with white knuckles on I-75 there in Cobb county. It is quite frightening.
Believe me, you are not alone. Also, I know people who live in East Cobb and won't go to North Cobb (Barrett Parkway) because of the traffic. DM me if you want a back way -- I know most of them!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,011,385 times
Quote:
Bet your wife still wishes she was back in the Twin Cities. I can only hope and pray that I don't have to make a trip to the Barrett Parkway during its infamous rush hours---I have seen a couple. I'm am just not 'Brave' enough to live on the NW side of town. Sounds good though--from what you all say.
Atlanta isn't all that different from the Twin Cities trafficwise ... it does have more of it in general (2 million additional people will do that), and the Twin Cities is certainly more of a grid even when it comes to the secondary roads, but rush hour can be a pain in both metros. I'm the one willing to go back. She isn't.

FWIW, neither one of us have to use a freeway to get to/from work, and these days she is the one that likes to take the interstate (mainly 285 to 75) to Marietta from the South Cobb or Atlanta Road exits near to our house. Funny how preferences have reversed.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,225,694 times
Thanks, antiquesmountainapache, I printed off your post and will keep it handy if the dreaded day comes when I have to 'Go Over There'---lol--it sounds nice from what you all say but the traffic moves so fast---we do stop and go over here---might get up to 50 on Clairmont Rd/Indianapolis 500 around peak times.

I certainly remember Storyland--I did a headstart internship in Roswell and we took the kids to Storyland---believe that was '67.

Of course I know, approximately where the Big Chicken is---get lost and just have to ask for directions back to the Big Chicken --then I can get home.

I can go by Roswell Rd to Marietta and like its shops and restaurants.

Been to the Kennesaw Battlefield as a child and teenager. I know where South Cobb Drive is and can sort of recall how Windy Hill twists around---have to be careful there---you might end up at Dobbins Air Force base.

One of the main reasons I ever visit Marietta/Kennesaw is there is a gem and mineral show that comes every spring or maybe fall??? Love to look at the 'Rocks'. LOL.

I made it to Cartersville, very pretty ---??Red Rock Mountain Park--beautiful.
Have seen Holly Springs and Canton and wondered how I got there---some sort adventure involving 400. Then I ended up on the Barrett Parkway and just tried to tell myself that the world would not end.

You all should come over Here---to the NE---they pretty much 'Fly Low' after Pleasant Hill on I85 and the new whatever branch--not 575???675--goes north, not certain where---I stick with Peachtree Industrial and roads like Old Norcross Rd, Old South Peachtree---it feels safer.

I like Flowery Branch--and if the owner of a perfect 1920's log cabin hadn't seen fit to sell the property and allow some sort of MacMansion to be built there I would be living/renting there right now. It is really a nice little town---I believe many Emory people have second homes there--anyway it is a place I think I would enjoy.

Georgia has a number of such places just have to get the inside scoop---guess, we're pretty good at sharing the scoop at City-Data?

Yeah, Us. Where should we have our get together---somewhere in the middle---lol--guess that is Atlantic Station---no---it should be Piedmont Park.

Let's have atlantagreg set that up---a big Atlanta City-Data forum get together this Spring in Piedmont Park--whatcha want to bet it's booked for years. So we'll just have to all meet at atlantagreg's house--->>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<ducking and running like the wind>>>>>>>>

Let's put George Chong in charge of the Get Together. How many in favor of George Chong---the Ayes have It. George Chong---Coordinator of ATL Forum Spring Fling. hehehehehe--that will teach George Chong to stay away from City-Data. I know he is playing and eating right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta