U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,034 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and i are moving to the Atlanta area, we can chose about anywhere within about an hours drive.



1. Budget $350k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) work frm home
4. Children(public school vs. private) no children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two, we love to hike and mtn bike, enjoy the occasional night out for live music and good food.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? no
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. larger homes and lots, views, scenic, newer, golf, parks hiking biking nearby.


tks j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,518,985 times
Reputation: 1507
Zip Code 30019 / 30011 Gwinnett
Hamilton Mill area
Dacula / Auburn

North side
Close to Atlanta
Close to the Mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 15,204,206 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetacea36 View Post
Hi, my wife and i are moving to the Atlanta area, we can chose about anywhere within about an hours drive.



1. Budget $350k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) work frm home
4. Children(public school vs. private) no children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two, we love to hike and mtn bike, enjoy the occasional night out for live music and good food.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? no
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. larger homes and lots, views, scenic, newer, golf, parks hiking biking nearby.


tks j

mmmmmm--You will have some nice options.

Sounds like the area around the Sugarloaf Pkwy might work for you. ???Suwanee??--->
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...35-nation.html


That's the NE side of metro ATL, Lake Lanier.

The nightlife is going to be more plentiful Intown/Inside the Perimeter--but there would be plenty of nice restaurants around Mall of Georgia and the area is growing. Gwinnett has a Civic Center that attracts many popular groups---I think that might be a nice option. Gwinnett gets an 'A' or 'A+' for what is has done to create green space--Parks and Recreation.

On the NW side---well, the mods atlantagreg and Bob Kovacs know that part of town pretty well and they could give better FYI. The Silver Comet Trail is located---???beyond Kennesaw---that area between Marietta and Cartersville would probably be an option---where is Big Canoe??

http://www.bigcanoe.com/Location.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 AM
 
997 posts, read 4,311,314 times
Reputation: 350
Try the Canton, Woodstock area!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
 
3,647 posts, read 4,853,583 times
Reputation: 5797
There's an older golf community in Kennesaw that you might like, Pinetree Country Club. I've just looked at some prices and they are running all around the board in the older section. There's a newer one that runs above your budget, but I think you would love the older homes. This is a beautiful subdivision with big lots and is really a hidden little gem. The golf course has just been renovated and they also have an Olympic pool. People are very friendly and there is a great mix of ages, long time and new residents and in the neighborhood/ out of the neighborhood members. To get an overview it would probably be best to google "pinetree country club homes for sale" or "Kennesaw realtors". (By the way, I am not a realtor). To view the club visit pinetreecc.org. The club is right off of I-75 and minutes away from Town Center/ Barrett Parkway, which is a major shopping and dining area. The small downtown areas of Kennesaw and Acworth (3 miles away) also have good dining options and some specialty shopping. Please DM me if you need more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
On the NW side---well, the mods atlantagreg and Bob Kovacs know that part of town pretty well and they could give better FYI. The Silver Comet Trail is located---???beyond Kennesaw---that area between Marietta and Cartersville would probably be an option---where is Big Canoe??[/url]
Kennesaw is in the center of Cobb County, as is Marietta, while the Silver Comet Trail runs east to west along the southern part of the county (through southern Smyrna, northern Mableton, and Austell). Not really close to any of the above at all.

Silver Comet Trail Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 15,204,206 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Kennesaw is in the center of Cobb County, as is Marietta, while the Silver Comet Trail runs east to west along the southern part of the county (through southern Smyrna, northern Mableton, and Austell). Not really close to any of the above at all.

Silver Comet Trail Map
Spanx, rc---I need to get over that way again. I am so terrified when I get on I75--that I just keep my eyes on the road, white knuckles and drive for my life--I see signs--Marietta, Kennesaw and all things beyond.

I was coming back from 'way out there'--???not Powder Springs--but one of the further northern points in Marietta a couple of years ago--in my Honda Civic---I looked up and saw the sign for 'Atlanta'---left lane and I went over---in front of a tractor trailer truck. The Honda did well--spun across several lanes--hit in the driver's door and the back passenger door---someone helped me move it to the side and the HERO guy put the little spare on it--I drove it home. Really scared of the flying traffic in your area--truck route and it is beyond my driving skills.

Silver Comet Trail is something I want to see--so I should learn where it is--sounds great---lol--The PATH people in NE Atlanta boldly ride on Clairmont, N. Druid Hills and Briarcliff---fearless types--I couldn't do that. But I did enjoy riding a bike as a kid and would like to do that again. If you can ride without dodging cars on the Silver Comet Trail--that sounds good to me--wherever it is.

Happy 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Spanx, rc---I need to get over that way again. I am so terrified when I get on I75--that I just keep my eyes on the road, white knuckles and drive for my life--I see signs--Marietta, Kennesaw and all things beyond.
Hehehe. You sound like my wife when she first moved into the Twin Cities metro a decade ago and had to experience heavy freeway traffic. She got over it, in time. Atlanta roads aren't any different.

The Silver Comet trail is very nice ... a new, uniform asphalt strip of dedicated bike and pedestrian roadway with a dotted line and everything running along an old railroad line. A mini bike freeway. I guess it goes all the way west to the Alabama border.

The City of Smyrna has been creating its own bike trail network and has linked them to the Silver comet ... its now possible for me to ride from my workplace near the Cumberland Mall almost all the way home w/o having to ride on a single automobile roadway. It's that last mile or so that's more dangerous.

Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 15,204,206 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hehehe. You sound like my wife when she first moved into the Twin Cities metro a decade ago and had to experience heavy freeway traffic. She got over it, in time. Atlanta roads aren't any different.

The Silver Comet trail is very nice ... a new, uniform asphalt strip of dedicated bike and pedestrian roadway with a dotted line and everything running along an old railroad line. A mini bike freeway. I guess it goes all the way west to the Alabama border.

The City of Smyrna has been creating its own bike trail network and has linked them to the Silver comet ... its now possible for me to ride from my workplace near the Cumberland Mall almost all the way home w/o having to ride on a single automobile roadway. It's that last mile or so that's more dangerous.

Happy New Year!
j-e-a-l-o-u-s-y--how can you tell me this---riding your bike without worrying about being critically injured in vicious traffic. I need a protected environment to ride a bike---lol--I need a protected environment in general the way I am---thinking about many things while driving and always ready to change the radio station--one cannot drive in Atlanta with the wrong song on the radio--it requires high level multi tasking skills to get those stations changed in a timely manner. No, I never talk on a cell phone while driving--much too busy watching the insanity of lane changing without signals, listening to the blaring horns of the SUV drivers if I don't hit the gas the second the light changes or traffic moves an inch and at any time there could be road construction and we all fume. Some prefer to drive the exact speed limit---such as the individual who drove 35 MPH down LaVista Rd Saturday--I thought I would die---about 5 miles---no passing and it seemed to take an hour. People will cross Clairmont Rd at any time they feel so moved ---have to always keep an eye peeled so as not to commit vehicular homicide.

Bet your wife still wishes she was back in the Twin Cities. I can only hope and pray that I don't have to make a trip to the Barrett Parkway during its infamous rush hours---I have seen a couple. I'm am just not 'Brave' enough to live on the NW side of town. Sounds good though--from what you all say.

Over here---Emory area--we enjoy the PATH trail in Mason Mill Park--some ride dirt bikes in the woods---lots of parents take the kids in strollers on the bridge--connects to Medlock Park and I walk my dog. It's nice enough---they are planning to do more to Mason Mill Park --center for special populations---lol---'Seniors'---guess we don't really need miles of bike riding trails. Maybe some sort of golf cart trail?

I am thinking of heading 'East'--toward Lawrenceville---they have really done a nice job with the restoration of the historic district and my friends migrated to the Northeast...

We'll see. What a huge city Atlanta has become---you all should have seen it 50 years ago, 30 years ago, even 20 years ago--we really could go everywhere ---across town and up and down without much problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM
 
3,647 posts, read 4,853,583 times
Reputation: 5797
Happy New Year, Take a Hike. Here are some "non I-75" roads in addition to good old Hwy 41 (Cobb Parkway). Just avoid them at both rush hours and lunch time and you'll be fine. Get on West Paces Ferry in Buckhead and stay on it. You will go by the Atlanta History Center, the Governor's Mansion, etc. and it will take you to Vinings. The name changes to Paces Ferry when you go under I-75. Once you get to Vinings you can easily access all of West Cobb County by surface roads. Atlanta Road (GA 3) and South Cobb drive are major north/south arteries. There are a couple of ways to avoid the I-75/285 interchange area. You're in the Emory area, aren't you? You can pick up Johnson Ferry near Oglethorpe University. Once you struggle through what I call the "hospital area" you can take Johnson Ferry straight to extreme northeastern Cobb County, where it dead ends into Shallowford Road. Left goes to Kennesaw and right goes to Roswell. You can access East Cobb areas easily from here with the east/ west roads. Also, you can go to Brookhaven, hit Windsor Parkway, cut through Chastain Park and come out on the road (I forget what they have renamed it, New Northside Drive or New Powers Ferry, something like that) that runs parallel with 285. This is the side with Ray's on the River. Take this all the way until it dead ends right under 285 and turn right onto Powers Ferry Road. This will take you back to the Marietta Roswell Road (GA 120). You can also access most of East Cobb from here (Terrell Mill, Windy Hill, etc). You can take Roswell Road (Georgia 9, I'm not sure about the best way from Emory) straight into Roswell. There is some way you can go from the Perimeter Mall area to northeastern Cobb and never touch a freeway but I can't remember the last little link and haven't tried it yet. Good luck! Oh, and here's a trivia question for our long time Atlanta residents. Who remembers Story Land and where it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top