U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,224,622 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking it's time to 'Go'---OTP. The traffic ITP is really getting to me, etc and I have been touring northeast metro ATL for a while.

I visited Lawrenceville yesterday--and really liked what I saw. Could become the next 'Decatur'---lol--Lovin Decatur, you do have a nice city and have convinced me I should be able to walk around and browse shops and restaurants, etc.

I know they began restoration of Lawrenceville about 5 years ago--the Aurora Theater and several older buildings were converted into restaurants, shopping areas. I really think I could enjoy living here--several friends live a bit further north but I don't want to build a log cabin and live with the wolves at this point--I kid them that they live in the 'Wilderness'--of course they don't care--hate the ATL traffic and happy to be 'Up There'.

So---where are the older--40's, 50's, 60's neighborhoods in safe areas around the historic part of Lawrenceville. Certain I will not be purchasing one of the historic homes---possibly want to rent for a while, single female, I dog--would prefer fenced yard and on a street with little traffic.

I saw a few signs for realtors and can Google away but if you have any specific recs that would be appreciated.

The Sugarloaf Pkwy--I need to understand how it winds arounds more--but there should be all kinds of shopping and etc around that area? Then didn't Gwinnett open a 4yr college ---somewhere 'Out There'--a couple of years ago?
I saw the sign for the Civic Center--seemed to be 'in the Duluth' area---Satellite Blvd--not quite Pleasant Hill---I will make a few more trips and try to get a better visual image of how this area is laid out. I generally just drive north on P'tree Industrial and then cross over to I85 to visit people north of Atlanta---I have heard of the infamous 316--Athens traffic--but surely I could find some sort of a JOB that wouldn't put me smack in the middle of all of that.

Ideas, thoughts?

Expound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,584,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I have been thinking it's time to 'Go'---OTP. The traffic ITP is really getting to me, etc and I have been touring northeast metro ATL for a while.

I visited Lawrenceville yesterday--and really liked what I saw. Could become the next 'Decatur'---lol--Lovin Decatur, you do have a nice city and have convinced me I should be able to walk around and browse shops and restaurants, etc.

I know they began restoration of Lawrenceville about 5 years ago--the Aurora Theater and several older buildings were converted into restaurants, shopping areas. I really think I could enjoy living here--several friends live a bit further north but I don't want to build a log cabin and live with the wolves at this point--I kid them that they live in the 'Wilderness'--of course they don't care--hate the ATL traffic and happy to be 'Up There'.

So---where are the older--40's, 50's, 60's neighborhoods in safe areas around the historic part of Lawrenceville. Certain I will not be purchasing one of the historic homes---possibly want to rent for a while, single female, I dog--would prefer fenced yard and on a street with little traffic.

I saw a few signs for realtors and can Google away but if you have any specific recs that would be appreciated.

The Sugarloaf Pkwy--I need to understand how it winds arounds more--but there should be all kinds of shopping and etc around that area? Then didn't Gwinnett open a 4yr college ---somewhere 'Out There'--a couple of years ago?
I saw the sign for the Civic Center--seemed to be 'in the Duluth' area---Satellite Blvd--not quite Pleasant Hill---I will make a few more trips and try to get a better visual image of how this area is laid out. I generally just drive north on P'tree Industrial and then cross over to I85 to visit people north of Atlanta---I have heard of the infamous 316--Athens traffic--but surely I could find some sort of a JOB that wouldn't put me smack in the middle of all of that.

Ideas, thoughts?

Expound.
Oh Lordy...sooo many questions!

Honestly, there really aren't that many neighborhoods from the 40s-60s surrounding Lawrenceville that I have found, haha. The area from Gwinnett Dr to downtown Lawrenceville on Hwy 29 is a nice 'older' area from the 50s or 60s I would say. We actually looked at buying there when we were looking, but the house needed too much work. Also the area off of Scenic Hwy from Gwinnett Dr to downtown is nice. I'm not sure what your price range is, but the development Cornerstone on the Square downtown, is a really exceptional townhome community.

Currently Sugarloaf goes from PIB all the way down to below Lawrenceville on Hwy 20. Eventually, it will wrap all the over to 316 then back up to the MOG, over to Sugar Hill to connect to PIB again.

Georgia Gwinnett College is the new school you were talking about. It's on Collins Hill Rd, just above Lawrenceville, also Gwinnett Tech is on Sugarloaf Parkway.

As to shopping, there is a myriad. From downtown Lawrenceville, you are roughly 15 minutes from both Gwinnett Place as well as Buford, where the Mall of Georgia is. Also you will be about 10 minutes from Discover Mills. Of course you also have the fabulous choices of downtowns from Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Buford, Duluth, Lilburn, and of course Norcross.

I hope this helped some!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Oh Lordy...sooo many questions!

Honestly, there really aren't that many neighborhoods from the 40s-60s surrounding Lawrenceville that I have found, haha. The area from Gwinnett Dr to downtown Lawrenceville on Hwy 29 is a nice 'older' area from the 50s or 60s I would say. We actually looked at buying there when we were looking, but the house needed too much work. Also the area off of Scenic Hwy from Gwinnett Dr to downtown is nice. I'm not sure what your price range is, but the development Cornerstone on the Square downtown, is a really exceptional townhome community.

Currently Sugarloaf goes from PIB all the way down to below Lawrenceville on Hwy 20. Eventually, it will wrap all the over to 316 then back up to the MOG, over to Sugar Hill to connect to PIB again.

Georgia Gwinnett College is the new school you were talking about. It's on Collins Hill Rd, just above Lawrenceville, also Gwinnett Tech is on Sugarloaf Parkway.

As to shopping, there is a myriad. From downtown Lawrenceville, you are roughly 15 minutes from both Gwinnett Place as well as Buford, where the Mall of Georgia is. Also you will be about 10 minutes from Discover Mills. Of course you also have the fabulous choices of downtowns from Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Buford, Duluth, Lilburn, and of course Norcross.

I hope this helped some!
Thanx, eric--I'm just starting to look --and it will be an adventure I'm certain.

I was just very impressed with the progress that seems to have been made in Lawrenceville---my mother's family hails from Gwinnett and of course, for decades it 'wasn't much'. Looks very interesting now, jmo.

As I said I am a single female, with 14 lb dog, would like secure --fenced yard--not large---safe street--dog friendly neighborhood for him. LOL---I've heard plenty about the dog parks of Gwinnett so maybe I should be looking near those areas---he loves to go to Pinkneyville--but I want to go further out.

Maybe there is another area---don't want to be anywhere where it's not 'safe' and all that. Thought staying close to the town center might be best for safety/security. sigh---I visited Chattanooga last year and if I were 'daring' enough--I saw several interesting areas around the arts district/near the river that spoke to me.

I'll keep you posted---I don't have kids---taught school for too many decades, no need to worry about that---maybe I don't need a single family home--hadn't really considered the alternatives. Here in Briarcliff Heights--the yardwork is beginning to suck--would like enough room to grow a few veggies--tomatoes, herbs and butternut squash---trying to keep an open mind---difficult--head like the granite of Stone Mountain---I come by this honestly---many native Gwinnettians in my family---lol--not the most progressive people I've ever met, cough. Redder necks could actually not be found--but they are my 'Fam Damily' --ye ken---and we try to understand each other --even if we can hardly 'Stand' each other. LOL.

I'll see what I can Google up and then get back over there next weekend.

Take care.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thanx, eric--I'm just starting to look --and it will be an adventure I'm certain.

I was just very impressed with the progress that seems to have been made in Lawrenceville---my mother's family hails from Gwinnett and of course, for decades it 'wasn't much'. Looks very interesting now, jmo.

As I said I am a single female, with 14 lb dog, would like secure --fenced yard--not large---safe street--dog friendly neighborhood for him. LOL---I've heard plenty about the dog parks of Gwinnett so maybe I should be looking near those areas---he loves to go to Pinkneyville--but I want to go further out.

Maybe there is another area---don't want to be anywhere where it's not 'safe' and all that. Thought staying close to the town center might be best for safety/security. sigh---I visited Chattanooga last year and if I were 'daring' enough--I saw several interesting areas around the arts district/near the river that spoke to me.

I'll keep you posted---I don't have kids---taught school for too many decades, no need to worry about that---maybe I don't need a single family home--hadn't really considered the alternatives. Here in Briarcliff Heights--the yardwork is beginning to suck--would like enough room to grow a few veggies--tomatoes, herbs and butternut squash---trying to keep an open mind---difficult--head like the granite of Stone Mountain---I come by this honestly---many native Gwinnettians in my family---lol--not the most progressive people I've ever met, cough. Redder necks could actually not be found--but they are my 'Fam Damily' --ye ken---and we try to understand each other --even if we can hardly 'Stand' each other. LOL.

I'll see what I can Google up and then get back over there next weekend.

Take care.
Haha, I wish you the best of luck! I hope your journeys bring you back to Gwinnett!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Haha, I wish you the best of luck! I hope your journeys bring you back to Gwinnett!
I'll find something---loved what seems to be going on around Flowery Branch, Buford will be a good place to live in a few more years. Don't especially care for Oakwood, Auburn---but I will 'comb' the area until I find my niche--perfect place for my dog and me. I've seen these little houses--from Tucker, to Chamblee and in all the smaller towns of North GA---there have to be some in/around Lawrenceville and since I can get in the car --I will search them down. LOL---probably end up becoming your neighbor--live in Fear of that, eric----LOL. I would make you butternut squash soup and it is very good.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I'll find something---loved what seems to be going on around Flowery Branch, Buford will be a good place to live in a few more years. Don't especially care for Oakwood, Auburn---but I will 'comb' the area until I find my niche--perfect place for my dog and me. I've seen these little houses--from Tucker, to Chamblee and in all the smaller towns of North GA---there have to be some in/around Lawrenceville and since I can get in the car --I will search them down. LOL---probably end up becoming your neighbor--live in Fear of that, eric----LOL. I would make you butternut squash soup and it is very good.

Haha, I'm not 'fraid!

Here is the link to Gwinnett Parks
http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/cgi-bin/gwincty/egov/ep/gcbrowse.do?channelId=-536881908&pageTypeId=536880236 (broken link)
I'm not sure about many of the other parks, but I know the one that is adjacent to my neighborhood has a dog park; Ronald Reagan Park. I'm not sure if you wouldn't go there because of the name....

Oh, and I just made Ina Garten's butternut squash and apple soup....yum!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,425,098 times
TAH, I do like downtown L'ville as well; however I am also impressed with downtown Norcross and was wondering if your meanderings had led you there. If you could find something there, that could be sweet; I know they are building some new housing in the immediate vicinity.

Welcome to City of Norcross

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
TAH, I do like downtown L'ville as well; however I am also impressed with downtown Norcross and was wondering if your meanderings had led you there. If you could find something there, that could be sweet; I know they are building some new housing in the immediate vicinity.

Welcome to City of Norcross
I had thought of mentioning it, but hadn't. Thanks Lovin'

As much as I really do like Lawrenceville, I actually prefer downtown Norcross. It's a lot quieter, smaller, and very quaint. I just ate at Mojito's on Saturday with some friends. If I had to choose, I would probably move there. Plus, there is an awesome development that I would love to move into. It's within walking distance of downtown.

Seven Norcross - Norcross GA New Homes - Hedgewood, Atlanta New Homes Builder (http://www.hedgewoodhomes.com/neighborhoods/profile.aspx?cid=6 - broken link)

Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,425,098 times
Quote:
I had thought of mentioning it, but hadn't. Thanks Lovin'

As much as I really do like Lawrenceville, I actually prefer downtown Norcross. It's a lot quieter, smaller, and very quaint. I just ate at Mojito's on Saturday with some friends. If I had to choose, I would probably move there. Plus, there is an awesome development that I would love to move into. It's within walking distance of downtown.

Seven Norcross - Norcross GA New Homes - Hedgewood, Atlanta New Homes Builder (http://www.hedgewoodhomes.com/neighborhoods/profile.aspx?cid=6 - broken link)
I saw Seven the last time I was there and thought it so charming...imagine trying to find something comparable for that price in Decatur, Va-Hi, Midtown, et-al...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I saw Seven the last time I was there and thought it so charming...imagine trying to find something comparable for that price in Decatur, Va-Hi, Midtown, et-al...
Charming isn't even the word! We look at some of those houses a couple years ago, and I truly loved them. However, there was only one that had an actual backyard, instead of a driveway on an alley. While we don't need a ton of space, we would prefer to have something a bit more private. The houses that we loved are on that alley. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or