U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM

69 posts, read 386,987 times

Advertisements

We and my mother are looking at houses to buy in Alpharetta or Cumming. We would really like a guest house built already on the property.

Our Realtor tells us that guest houses are quite rare in Georgia. We live in California right now and there are quite a few with guest houses. But we are not sure about Georgia.

Could someone please touch on this?

Thanks,
Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,286,398 times
Yes. Guest houses are quite rare with the exception, perhaps, of people who have mega mansions and might have a guest/pool house in the back.

Are you interested in it for rental purposes, which I believe is fairly common in California? Keep in mind that most zoning ordinances in many counties/municipalities will not allow for this.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Yes. Guest houses are quite rare with the exception, perhaps, of people who have mega mansions and might have a guest/pool house in the back.

Are you interested in it for rental purposes, which I believe is fairly common in California? Keep in mind that most zoning ordinances in many counties/municipalities will not allow for this.
no i take care of my mother and i could live in the guest house. She really wants one over a basement or terrace level setup.

oh it could be a zoning issue? who would i call or how could i confirm that?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,428,699 times
Yes guest homes are rare in Atlanta. You might be better off searching for a in-law suite or nanny suite.

I believe LM is correct about zoning.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,286,398 times
You would confirm it through a government's zoning office, most likely. If you buy a home with the intent of adding one, then you will need to make sure you understand (before putting a contract on the house) the regulations related to structural distances from property lines, etc. In unincorporated Fulton, for example, lot size must be over an acre before it is even a possibility to get a permit for one and that is just the first hurdle.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM

2,117 posts, read 3,633,416 times
Guest houses are indeed very rare. Most lot sizes would not reasonably accommodate one. Most homeowners associations would not permit one. However, walkout basements are very common in the Atlanta area and it is not unusual to find a basement with a guest suite or "nanny" suite. It would have bedroom, bathroom, living area, partial or full kitchen, and even a separate entrance on the side or back of the house. I believe you would find such an arrangement far more often than a separate building.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,768,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Guest houses are indeed very rare. Most lot sizes would not reasonably accommodate one. Most homeowners associations would not permit one. However, walkout basements are very common in the Atlanta area and it is not unusual to find a basement with a guest suite or "nanny" suite. It would have bedroom, bathroom, living area, partial or full kitchen, and even a separate entrance on the side or back of the house. I believe you would find such an arrangement far more often than a separate building.
Ditto on the above.

In California, it's common to find them in older homes due to people having "help" that would live on the property, or for guests. I know back home in West Virginia it's not uncommon to find "dual" homes for sale in some areas, because decades ago you would have homes for coal miners with smaller homes behind them for family, etc. But yep - in Atlanta - the daylight basement will be your best and most common find.

And adding to bill's comment - if you buy a place and do decide to build a guest house, make SURE the community and/or town you're in allows it. Where I live, you are not allowed to have a separate dwelling on your property - period; even if a relative is going to live in it and not renters.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Great thanks for all the good info!

A+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or