Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM

103 posts, read 327,493 times

Advertisements

I am finally doing it, I am relocating to the Gwinnett area in August.

I am now looking for apartments which is becoming a daunting task. I have my two kids and I am looking for a nice apt in a good and secure complex. I do not mind if kids are playing outside, a long as the people are not too ghetto. I do not want to live with roaches or mice any other creepy crawlies (I know that I will see a spider every now and again). I also want to live in a good school district. I have a son in high school in a special ed program and I have a daughter in elementary school.

I have reserved an apt in a complex called Ridgewood on the Fairway. It look like a nice place, but will not know until I go down in July. But today I saw that it was in Norcross when I thought that it was in Lawrenceville. I hear horrible things about Norcross and I do not want to live there.

I need people that live in Gwinnett, Lawrenceville, Snellville.

Pls, I need your help. I do not want to go from bad in NYC to worse in ATL.

Thanks

Be Blessed

Tammara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Arrow Do you know the zipcode?

It is difficult to explain how Norcross/Lawrenceville/Duluth are identified for different purposes. The city of Norcross and an area called Peachtree Corners/west Norcross is very nice, safe and expensive. Norcross High School is a good school and Simpson Elementary, also in the area has an excellent reputation.

Then there is 'Gwinnett Village'--from Buford Hwy--Jimmy Carter Blvd, Beaver Ruin Rd, Indian Trail Rd and east to Lilburn a major campaign for improvement is ongoing. 'Duluth'--Pleasant Hill Rd--is adjacent to this area--this is not really within the city limits of Duluth. Other posters do a better job of explaining this. When you drive by --it is very obvious --but if you cannot see it for yourself that makes the decision more difficult.

From what I have read the Central part of Gwinnett is not as good as other parts--that could include 'Norcross--Lawrenceville--Duluth--Lilburn'.

Which schools would your children attend? Posters may be able to provide better FYI with more specifics.

Good luck.

sls

Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 AM

103 posts, read 327,493 times
The zip code is 30044

Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Arrow Verify the names of the schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
The zip code is 30044

It seems like that area is served by Central Gwinnett High School and Five Forks Trickum Middle School and several elementary schools--Alton C. Crews, Craig and others.

You can research these schools here>>>
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/GA

City-data has a page on 'Lawrenceville' by zipcodes. There is 'a lot' of information there. According to the map this area is between Lawrenceville and Lilburn--Central Gwinnett. Some problem areas, jmo.

sls

Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM

279 posts, read 471,570 times
there are several apartment ratings sites with reviews by current/former residents...you can search by name, zip code etc..

Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,042 times
Check out the www.promove.com service. If you tell them exactly what you are looking for, I'm sure they can find you an apartment in the Gwinnett area, and probably for less than if you found it on your own.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:13 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times
Tab1975, I wouldn't live in that area. It is east of I-85. The school over that area is not very good at all even by Gwinnett standard. I believe that it is in Berkmar school district. You can call the apartment to find out for sure. Is that any reason you pick that apartment? What's your price range for apartment?

Also, special education in Georgia is not very good (from info from Lastminutemom). Do you research enough that your son will get what he needs in Georgia?

There are apartments on the Peachtree industrial (West of I-85) you can find in similiar price. At least, you will be in Duluth high school district.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Default Middle School Dilema?

[LEFT]Which Middle School?..I'm Moving from DeKalb County to Gwinnett County this summer ... mainly because of the usual reasons (i.e better middle school districts, diversity, change of scenery, etc.). I've been a South DeKalb resident for over a decade and the time for change has come . I have been researching top middle schools in Gwinnett and have narrowed it down to 3 (Trickum, Alton C. Crews and Duluth MS). Can anyone tell me which of the 3 would you recommend and which area of Gwinnett near the school is good to move to... I've heard about the different areas off I-85 that may not be good places to live but I'm still a little unfamiliar certain parts of Gwinnett County.

[/LEFT]

Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
McConnell is really good

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takee17 View Post
[LEFT]Which Middle School?..I'm Moving from DeKalb County to Gwinnett County this summer ... mainly because of the usual reasons (i.e better middle school districts, diversity, change of scenery, etc.). I've been a South DeKalb resident for over a decade and the time for change has come . I have been researching top middle schools in Gwinnett and have narrowed it down to 3 (Trickum, Alton C. Crews and Duluth MS). Can anyone tell me which of the 3 would you recommend and which area of Gwinnett near the school is good to move to... I've heard about the different areas off I-85 that may not be good places to live but I'm still a little unfamiliar certain parts of Gwinnett County.

[/LEFT]
All of the schools listed are very good. My neighborhood is zoned for Crews Middle, so I know more about it. I have heard praise from parents in the neighborhood about all the schools, and this one is no exception. It, and Trickum middle feed into Brookwood High School. This is one of the top schools in the metro

You do not have to live in the far east side of the county to attend a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta