U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,421 times

Advertisements

We have a neighbor that is totally ruining the property value in our cul-de-sac. She has lived in the home for at least 10-12 years. She's painted once. Since then the air conditioner has broken - not repaired. She has left windows open in pouring rain. The wood is rotting around the windows. The entire garage door is rotting away. The deck is about to fall off of the back of the house. There are squirrels that we have seen actually crawling into her home through rotting slats on her siding. Her garage is stuffed full of take out containers which we have seen on the rare instance that we actually see her leaving her home.

Honestly, I simply cannot believe that this house has not become a health hazard. My husband mows one half of her yard while our neighbor mows the other half. They share the responsibility of trimming her bushes.

She does not answer her door and will not respond to kind letters left in her mailbox. We see her leave ... only at night ... once in awhile. There obviously is more than meets the eye here. I don't want to suggest that there is something wrong with her, but clearly there is.

Our developers made a mistake many years ago and did not make the homeowner's association mandatory. However, that was changed several years ago but it was still optional to join. She didn't. No surprise there.

My question is, is there something that the City of Alpharetta can do when there are animals crawling into a home, a lawn is not kept mowed, etc etc?

I can't say she's a bad neighbor because we don't know her. I just know that when it comes time to sell my home which has been well cared for, she will diminish my value.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 21,611,907 times
Is she elderly? Is she not capable of, or not financially able to keep up her property? That would change my answer.

If it is just somebody who doesn't give a hoot about their neighbors, you can call the health department regarding vermin on the property. Most towns also have codes regarding grass height. Paint and broken air conditioners may be something you have to live with.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM

13,394 posts, read 51,382,293 times
Call them and ask-

City of Alpharetta Website || Code Enforcement

If they do make a visit maybe it'll light a fire under her "you-know-what".
But I agree with Mattie also- my answer could vary depending on circumstances.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:38 PM

315 posts, read 997,117 times
You don't mention this woman's age but a few things come to mind. You say you see her leave her home but only at night, if so, do you know if she is going to work or just going out? You mention her garage being full of take out containers, could it be she is becoming a hoarder? Could she be suffering a mental illness and doesn't recognize she needs help? Could she have suffered a trauma that has left her severely depressed? What about Alzheimer's? There are so many facets to think about here, not just that her property is in disrepair and squirrels getting in. I'm sure she would hear them inside her walls and would take measures to rid herself of them if she were able to deal with the problem. Might not a few of you get together and try to meet up with her when she leaves her home , try to talk to her and you might find clues and answers to your dilemma. To me it sounds more like this lady is in some way unstable and needs help before condemning her. I would keep trying to make contact with her, even if it means sitting and watching when she leaves her house.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,421 times
I would agree with you that we are beginning to think there may be some instability. As to what, no clue. She will not engage in conversation with any of the neighbors. I do want to stress that everyone has tried to approach her in a kind and compassionate way. She is not old, maybe early to mid 40's is my best guess. She has never taken care of her home since moving in. Her brother used to come around and mow the lawn, but has long since not been seen around helping. She also used to date often and be seen out with people. So sure, anything could've happened in her life that could have caused issues of instability. However, because she has not cared for her home from day 1 causes me to think there are many things at play.

I'd love to not have to call the health department but I'm thinking that we're headed that way if she continues to refuse to communicate with anyone.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 PM

315 posts, read 997,117 times
Too bad you don't know her brother, you could contact him and try to ask him about the issues...wonder if he might have died and that's what caused this woman to change the way she has? In any case it sounds like a very sad situation, I wonder if the postal workers or meter readers would have any clues about it, they sometimes know a lot more than neighbours do. I hope everything can be settled without too much hassle on the part of everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta