U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,225,019 times

Advertisements

What kind of lifestyle are you looking for outside of work? Are you a city type? Are you single? How do you currently like living in ATlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM

631 posts, read 1,097,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I think it sucks your money away because there are so many things to do and people are always going out to meet up to drink/eat/lounge. You just want to be more active because of the variety of choices but the actual costs of entertainment/food, etc. if very comparable to, if not cheaper, than ATL. But, yes, if you have school-age kids, that complicates the decision. If dude is single, then it's just a matter of what lifestyle he wants.
Stop trying to make NY seem alot cheaper because its not you cant get half of the things for you money as you can in Atlanta.. The lifestyle here is very cheap thats why you see so many NY transplants moving here to Buy homes. My co worker was living with here mother in Queens now she is here in Atlanta and she just bought a house in Sandy Springs and mind you she is only 25 years old. I seen plenty of NYorkers mouths drop when they see how big of a home they can get with land and such low cost. I pay 700 dollars for a 2 bedroom 2 full bath washer and dryer came with my apt dish washer and stainless steel appliances I live in CObb county. please tell me where you can get all that in NYC.. for that price. NYC has all the cultural amenities shopping nightlife etc but it cost. everytime im in NYC i spend a thousand dollars in 1 week between partying shopping and traveling in cabs etc..

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-06-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM

645 posts, read 1,316,429 times
Your absolutely right Rudeboy21

Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,937,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Stop trying to make NY seem alot cheaper because its not you cant get half of the things for you money as you can in Atlanta.. The lifestyle here is very cheap thats why you see so many NY transplants moving here to Buy homes. By co worker was living with here mother in Queens now she is here Atlanta and she just bought a house in Grayson and mind you she is only 25 years old. I seen plenty of NYorkers mouths drop when they see how big of a home they can get with land and such low cost. I pay 700 dollars for a 2 bedroom 2 full bath washer and dryer came with my apt dish washer and stainless steel appliances I live in CObb county. please tell me where you can get all that in NYC.. for that price. NYC has all the cultural amenities shopping nightlife etc but it cost. everytime im in NYC i spend a thousand dollars in 1 week between partying shopping and travel
I already caveated my statements that it does not apply to housing or income taxes. Outside of that, what's cheaper in ATL? I've lived both places and as far as I can tell, transportation costs more in ATL because you have to drive everywhere, utilities cost more, property tax is much higher, car registration costs more, groceries cost more, dry cleaning costs more, jewelry costs more (Canal Street and the Diamond District is cheaper), furs and leather coats cost more(Orchard Street is cheaper), restaurants on average cost more (every good restaurant in ATL is pricey but you have places in NYC that are better and cheaper because of competition), etc. Yeah, a lot of folks will move down because they just want the bigger house but listen to them complain about the pay down here. Moving to ATL provides a different lifestyle but many necessities of life are not cheaper.

No, you can't get a 2bd/2bth in the outer boroughs (let's not compare Cobb to Manhattan) for $700. You will have to pay at least double and it will be smaller than you can get here. But you will make much more in NY and the cost of living is either the same or less in NY.

Like I said, it depends on what kind of life you want. If you value space and want to live in the city, then the salary difference probably won't get you that. If you are willing to live outside of Manhattan with that salary and you value the other things NY offers, then you'll live just as good a life or better than in ATL.

And I said before, you spend that much in NY because there is so much to do. I fell in the same trap when I lived in Manhattan... my friends and I would blow cash like it's nothing because we hung out every single night of the week. If I moved back, I would not spend as much because I have a family... but hanging out on average costs the same. The W charges the same for drinks here as they do in Union Sq or Times Sq... clubs charge the same cover and same drink prices so that's a wash.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I already caveated my statements that it does not apply to housing or income taxes. Outside of that, what's cheaper in ATL? I've lived both places and as far as I can tell, transportation costs more in ATL because you have to drive everywhere, utilities cost more, property tax is much higher, car registration costs more, groceries cost more, dry cleaning costs more, jewelry costs more (Canal Street and the Diamond District is cheaper), furs and leather coats cost more(Orchard Street is cheaper), restaurants on average cost more (every good restaurant in ATL is pricey but you have places in NYC that are better and cheaper because of competition), etc. Yeah, a lot of folks will move down because they just want the bigger house but listen to them complain about the pay down here. Moving to ATL provides a different lifestyle but many necessities of life are not cheaper.

No, you can't get a 2bd/2bth in the outer boroughs (let's not compare Cobb to Manhattan) for $700. You will have to pay at least double and it will be smaller than you can get here. But you will make much more in NY and the cost of living is either the same or less in NY.

Like I said, it depends on what kind of life you want. If you value space and want to live in the city, then the salary difference probably won't get you that. If you are willing to live outside of Manhattan with that salary and you value the other things NY offers, then you'll live just as good a life or better than in ATL.

And I said before, you spend that much in NY because there is so much to do. I fell in the same trap when I lived in Manhattan... my friends and I would blow cash like it's nothing because we hung out every single night of the week. If I moved back, I would not spend as much because I have a family... but hanging out on average costs the same. The W charges the same for drinks here as they do in Union Sq or Times Sq... clubs charge the same cover and same drink prices so that's a wash.
Real estate is cheaper here thats the lovely thing about Atlanta thats driving those people from those expensive places.. Yes you need a car here depending on where you live. I could buy a condo in midtown way cheaper than I can in the city and still get alot more. I am in NYC at least 6 times a year because my best friend lives there. Trust its not cheaper no matter what lifestyle you live.. now id he wants to live in someone basement then he may can get away with being cheaper. I party the same way in Atlanta and shop as I do in NYC and I still dont spend that much money in 1 week.

America's Most Expensive Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate

America's Most Expensive Commute Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas_most_expensive_commute_cities.html - broken link)

Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,980,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup2008 View Post
I agree with Dallascaper, I'v lived in Atlanta for 5 years now, there is no culture here, I'd move to NYC in a heartbeat with the salary you were offered.
With that kind of money, you could live in Atlanta and party in NYC every weekend.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,937,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Real estate is cheaper here thats the lovely thing about Atlanta thats driving those people from those expensive places.. Yes you need a car here depending on where you live. I could buy a condo in midtown way cheaper than I can in the city and still get alot more. I am in NYC at least 6 times a year because my best friend lives there. Trust its not cheaper no matter what lifestyle you live.. now id he wants to live in someone basement then he may can get away with being cheaper. I party the same way in Atlanta and shop as I do in NYC and I still dont spend that much money in 1 week.

America's Most Expensive Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate

America's Most Expensive Commute Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas_most_expensive_commute_cities.html - broken link)
Yeah, what I said. Housing is what makes NYC more expensive.. especially if want to live within Manhattan. If you are spending that much more on partying and shopping in NY, then I assume you are hitting tourist traps. I always pay less for shopping and the same for hanging out. Again, if you value the amount of apt/house you can get over everything else, ATL is the no-brainer. If that does not concern you as much, I think it's a wash and NYC offers better amenities.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, what I said. Housing is what makes NYC more expensive.. especially if want to live within Manhattan. If you are spending that much more on partying and shopping in NY, then I assume you are hitting tourist traps. I always pay less for shopping and the same for hanging out. Again, if you value the amount of apt/house you can get over everything else, ATL is the no-brainer. If that does not concern you as much, I think it's a wash and NYC offers better amenities.
Yes we all know NYC offers better amenities that no brainer. I shop at century 21, Top shop, Jamaica Ave, Canal, H&M, Zara, Urban outfitters. those are the places I like to go. Right but housing is a mjor factor because thats what you going to spend most of your money on. How are you going to enjoy the amenties around NYC if you cant really afford to pay the high rent. If I only made 70,000 dollars and i lived in NYC what can that get me. If I made 70,000 in Atlanta what could that get me. Including amenties and all.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,675,353 times
Been in both NYC and ATL. It was easier for me to get established in Atlanta and less competition for jobs but cost of living has gone up in the 5 years I've been here.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:12 PM

285 posts, read 791,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
With that kind of money, you could live in Atlanta and party in NYC every weekend.
THIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or