U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 PM

8,021 posts, read 12,568,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillot1 View Post
I left because I knew I could not realistically spend that kind of money on rent - let alone save money for retirement, invest, travel, and potentially OWN my own place in NYC...
Truer words have never been said. Yeah, you can definately have a good life in NYC on a 200k salary...but you won't be able to plan for the future very well. Especially if you live in Manhattan. Almost all of my extended family lives in NYC, and only one of them owns a house. It's the one my grandfather brought in 1939. Everyone else, all 3 dozen of them, rent. Most of them have good jobs and aren't freeloaders.

That's just the way of life in NYC and why so many natives have left. Just look at the census numbers over the last 20 years. The only reason why New York still has 8 million plus people is because immigrants have replaced the losses. This has all to do with the fact that the only way you can build a future in NYC is be independently wealthy or at least on the higher end of middle class.

Personally, living in NYC fits everyone differently. Having spent several months out of the year there each year when I was growing up, I could never in a million years live in NYC. This has nothing to do with hating NYC. In fact I love the place...in small spurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,019,894 times
I agree with the poster who said if you are young live in NYC. My spouse and I lived there for three years beofre we had kids on a dual income. The lifestyle was so much fun. We lived in Manhattan and did not consider any other burroughs as we wanted the full NYC experience. And yes it was expensive. We used to joke that everytime you left the building twenty dollars would automatically disappear from your wallet. But we loved it. Walking everywhere, neighborhood restaurants, museums, Central Park in the snow, Christmas. We did not own a car at the time but would rent one for all of our excursions. In this way we had access to all the Northeast has to offer but without the headaches of car insurance, parking (at the time it was about $800/month for a parking spot) etc. You don't need a car in the city at all. As we got into our mid thirties we had children. While many parents make it work, the cost to educate our kids in the city was too much. We then moved to the NJ suburbs and on from there. Cost and all I would not trade that experience for anything. Plus NYC experience on a resume gets attention. We love the Atlanta area. It is amazing. It sounds like you have already had the Atlanta experience. Life is short. There is nothing like NYC.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,941,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
This is what I was trying to tell Vsmoove.. There has to be a reason why NY naitives are moving south to places like Charlotte Atlanta, Houston , Dallas is because you can have more for your money. there are enough amenties in these cities to get by. and trust the Dollar can go alot further in the south than the North.
RudeBoy (Jamaican?), I never disagreed with you... people move south because they get more house/condo/apt for their money... but I just want to make clear that besides that and taxes, the cost of living is similar... and I understand that housing is very, very expensive in Manhattan... but most folks don't live in Manhattan and those that do are younger and usually have roomates to offset the cost. Hey, look, either way, the OP will be fine with his salary in both places. NY is definetely a harder working culture than the South but you make much more as well. It's up to the individual whether that trade off is worth it. 10 years ago, the tradeoff was well worth it for me because I was single with no kids and all my boys were in NY... I would not have wanted to live anywhere else. Now that I'm married with kids, it would take a small King's ransom to move me back to NY because I want my kids to have more space and a less hectic life than I did growing up.

But, as a single person, space is overrated. Even now with a big old house, I spend 90% of my time in either the bedroom, kitchen or family room.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM

2,675 posts, read 5,668,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
With that kind of money, you could live in Atlanta and party in NYC every weekend.
Best advice so far. That's what a sensible person would do. With the money the OP is making (or would be making) in Atlanta, he can afford to go to NYC, and do things most New Yorkers cannot afford to do, (enjoy it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Of course if you make the same money, then ATL is a no-brainer. The OP's offer is $75K more in NYC. In my opinion, that can make up for the housing differential with all other things being equal.
If he's young, single and has time on his hands, why not? But if he has a wife and kids, forget about it. I'd take Atlanta hands down.

Quote:
Ehh... my commute from Downtown Brooklyn to Manhattan was less than fifteen minutes by subway... If you live on the Hudson River in NJ, it will be about 10-20 minutes... if you live in Queens close to 57th Street Bridge, it will be 20 minutes... if you live in Riverdale in the Bronx, it will be about 20 minutes... and those places are very affordable with that salary.
My parents still own a brownstone in Brooklyn Heights. Another great area to live in, but still not cheap. It's close to Manhattan, downtown Brooklyn, and very nice. To live in a decent area in NYC, you're going to have to cough up some serious money. Way more than what people pay for mortgages in Atlanta for way nicer homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
This is what I was trying to tell Vsmoove.. There has to be a reason why NY naitives are moving south to places like Charlotte Atlanta, Houston , Dallas is because you can have more for your money. there are enough amenties in these cities to get by. and trust the Dollar can go alot further in the south than the North.
No one can refute that. Even if you make less down here, your dollar can still go farther. Been there, done that.

Quote:
RudeBoy (Jamaican?), I never disagreed with you... people move south because they get more house/condo/apt for their money... but I just want to make clear that besides that and taxes, the cost of living is similar... and I understand that housing is very, very expensive in Manhattan... but most folks don't live in Manhattan and those that do are younger and usually have roomates to offset the cost. Hey, look, either way, the OP will be fine with his salary in both places. NY is definetely a harder working culture than the South but you make much more as well. It's up to the individual whether that trade off is worth it. 10 years ago, the tradeoff was well worth it for me because I was single with no kids and all my boys were in NY... I would not have wanted to live anywhere else. Now that I'm married with kids, it would take a small King's ransom to move me back to NY because I want my kids to have more space and a less hectic life than I did growing up.

But, as a single person, space is overrated. Even now with a big old house, I spend 90% of my time in either the bedroom, kitchen or family room.
You don't get much of an argument here. My case was similar. I was younger, single, professional and living in the city was cool. Always something to do, but later on in life these things become redundant. It gets old pretty fast. Once you hit a certain age, going out every night is not important anymore, and that's when being cramped up in some studio in Manhattan can annoy you.

I don't know if I can agree that space is overrated. I was renting a 1BR apt in Clinton Hill, but had to pay for 2 parking spots (I had 2 sports cars), and that was eating away some money. I later moved to the lowest level of my parents' brownstone (that I still use when I go there) and parked one of my cars at my brother's house on Long Island, and paid for a parking spot near where I lived. It was too much of a hassle.

By the time one factors in car ownership (it's optional for some people, depends on where you work; everyone does not work in Manhattan, some have to drive out to Long Island, and Westchester), insurance, parking, tickets (factor that in your budget), and other things, it will add up quickly.

And vsmoove...you need to explore other parts of your house more often.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,691,596 times
[quote=bolen78;12315664]Well it's that time of year again where I've been looking for a job. It seems that I'm blessed in the fact that in this tough economy I still have some options. ( good luck to anyone that is looking for a job right now)

I've been given two job offers:

one for $150 in Atlanta ( where I currently live )
OR

one for $225 K in Manhattan ( where I'd have to move )

I've done the cost of living calculations, and they all say that NYC is 47% more expensive than manhattan.

What would you take? 150K in Atlanta ( which goes a far way! ) or $225K in NYC? quote]

Take the 150 in Atlanta, done........

Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,941,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
And vsmoove...you need to explore other parts of your house more often.
Hey, I still use the other parts of the house 10% of the time! By the way, have you been back to Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill recently? Geez... you can't get in for less than 1.5M... I remember when they were giving away the brownstones for $1 if you agreed to renovate.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM

631 posts, read 1,098,850 times
Quote:

Even renting in the outside of manhantten its still more expensive.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 3,602,765 times
How many years do you plan on being at this job?

If you're single and can change jobs easily, I would definitely take the NYC job. You'll get an experience for 2-3 years that you'll never forget. Then you can move to a cheaper city like Atlanta.

Otherwise, I'd pick Atlanta. You'll live quite well on that salary, and have lots of money to travel to other cities.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 PM

2,675 posts, read 5,668,856 times
Quote:
Hey, I still use the other parts of the house 10% of the time! By the way, have you been back to Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill recently? Geez... you can't get in for less than 1.5M... I remember when they were giving away the brownstones for $1 if you agreed to renovate.

I have. I was there weeks ago. Clinton Hill is still nice, quieter than when I was there. The brownstones are looking bettter than ever. I wish I knew then what I know now. I'd own 3 (minimum) by now.

(From what I remember, Ft Green Projects were supposed to be fully refurbished/redone and converted to condos (sold to young professionals/people who would be looking to live in Manhattan). With the economy, as it looks, I don't know what will happen, or if it has happened..)

Good thing my parents never sold theirs. They've owned it for about 30+yrs now (paid for, just collecting rent & paying taxes/maintenance).

I remember when the city was giving them away. We won't see these deals again, in our lifetime .

Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,322,666 times
NYC would be great but some of the posts make it sound like Atlanta is terrible and at least the OP will be able to travel to other cities with their salary. There is quite a bit to do in Atlanta, although nothing like NYC. You could certainly do something different in Atlanta every weekend, living somewhere like Midtown will give you more options. I can think of a million places less desirable then Atlanta for living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
How many years do you plan on being at this job?

If you're single and can change jobs easily, I would definitely take the NYC job. You'll get an experience for 2-3 years that you'll never forget. Then you can move to a cheaper city like Atlanta.

Otherwise, I'd pick Atlanta. You'll live quite well on that salary, and have lots of money to travel to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or