U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,407,303 times

Advertisements

You can find a nice place to rent in NYC or Brooklyn for that salary. You will not need a car (subways, cabs, WALKING, are easy). Rental cars or cheap train rides via Metro North or Hudson Line for weekend excursions. Factor in your car costs and you have more than you think. Now, if you have school age children, that's another issue to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 AM

2,675 posts, read 5,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
NYC would be great but some of the posts make it sound like Atlanta is terrible and at least the OP will be able to travel to other cities with their salary. There is quite a bit to do in Atlanta, although nothing like NYC. You could certainly do something different in Atlanta every weekend, living somewhere like Midtown will give you more options. I can think of a million places less desirable then Atlanta for living.
Great post,

Again, there are plenty of things to do in Atlanta (and metro area). It also depends on the type of person you are. For one, I'm not the Broadway show type, so none of these activities appeal to me. My wife likes them, I don't . We compromise. It's better for us to fly out there for a weekend or during the summer and force myself to see one with her.
I'd rather do a million things versus hearing/watching a dreadful musical.
I prefer going to the Blue Note in Manhattan on a thursday night.

ex: I'm into car related hobbies, which NYC is not great for. You actually have to leave NYC to enjoy them (Go to NJ and CT to do some racing). Bars, pubs, they're not NYC exclusive, although there is a higher concentration of them in the city. Again, it gets old. Night clubs, NYC and Atlanta have them both, Museums both cities have them. While culturally there is more diversity in NYC, Atlanta is no Oklahoma. The point is, no single city fits everyone's criterion. We all differ, and have different things we like. Atlanta is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
You can find a nice place to rent in NYC or Brooklyn for that salary. You will not need a car (subways, cabs, WALKING, are easy). Rental cars or cheap train rides via Metro North or Hudson Line for weekend excursions. Factor in your car costs and you have more than you think. Now, if you have school age children, that's another issue to deal with.
Again, it depends on where you work. I have friends that live on Long Island, and work in Westchester. Taking the train to work everyday is not even an option for them (That sort of commute makes Atlanta commute look like a piece of cake). There are people that like having a car 24/7 (example me), and don't want to take the subway on weekends, or late nights. It's great to have a transport system like the MTA, and that's probably the only thing I wish Atlanta had to make it perfect. Again, I agree with your last statement, about having kids in NYC. It's a different ball game.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 PM

927 posts, read 1,949,602 times
Just to clarify, you'd have to live in Manhattan and can't live in the outer boroughs? If you can I might give New York a definite yes because BK's pretty hip and more affordable, relatively speaking.

I think it may ultimately depend on your network and career opportunities. For me, the main reason I'd stay in Atlanta is that I have an extensive network given I was raised here. I'd have family and friends for support and mentors that would help me grow. These things cannot be duplicated regardless of money or whatever lifestyle opportunities I would have, but it would certainly be a tough decision.

I would have a great time in both places, but if you're young I would definitely consider
Manhattan for a short amount of time. But if you'd have to be there for a long time I wouldn't do it. It really can suck both the money and energy out of you.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM

12,417 posts, read 18,775,540 times
No wonder why many New Yorkers always complain about Atlanta (through reading the posts). I have New York friends who complain about how boring Atlanta is and how there is no culture here. Everytime I hear this, which is pretty much often, I wonder why did you guys move here initially. It all had to do with money (got my answer from this thread although it was obvious). Basically, they really don't want to be here, but if money wasn't an issue, they would still be back in NY.

Most of us know that Atlanta isn't on the scale on NY when it comes to things to do, and we know that Atlanta can get boring sometimes, but when it comes down to lifestyle, I think that Atlanta is a winner although it can New Yorkish (stressful LOL!) here. Now I've noticed that Atlanta is filled with a lot of unhappy complaining New Yorkers who want more for their buck!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM

431 posts, read 2,000,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
No wonder why many New Yorkers always complain about Atlanta (through reading the posts). I have New York friends who complain about how boring Atlanta is and how there is no culture here. Everytime I hear this, which is pretty much often, I wonder why did you guys move here initially. It all had to do with money (got my answer from this thread although it was obvious). Basically, they really don't want to be here, but if money wasn't an issue, they would still be back in NY.

Most of us know that Atlanta isn't on the scale on NY when it comes to things to do, and we know that Atlanta can get boring sometimes, but when it comes down to lifestyle, I think that Atlanta is a winner although it can New Yorkish (stressful LOL!) here. Now I've noticed that Atlanta is filled with a lot of unhappy complaining New Yorkers who want more for their buck!
I'll be honest, if i were making alot more money, i'd move back to NY in a heartbeat. I left (like many others) because I was looking for a cheaper cost of living (aka cheaper housing). Besides housing, most other things are comparable. In fact, I'd argue that food and clothes are cheaper in NY. When I lived in FL, I was shocked at how expensive food was as well as car insurance. There are deals everywhere in NY, cuz somebody always knows somebody to give you a hook up. Gotta love it. The part that most people fail to factor in is that although it's cheaper in GA (or FL, NC..), the jobs also pay less, so it's a wash, except that you do get more for your money in terms of housing.

As for the OP, if this person is single and under 32, go with NYC. It is so much fun. With that kind of salary, oh man, you will have a blast. The reality is that the vast majority of NYC residents make less than $50K/year. People make me laugh when they say that it is sooo expensive to live there. It's not that expensive unless you are trying to live in Midtown or the Upper East side in a building with a doorman. Or you want to hail a cab every day. Most people don't do that and don't live like that. Get a Metrocard and haul your butt onto a train or a bus and you are good to go. Plenty of cheap restaurants. You don't have to dine in a five star restaurant with DeNiro. I was out every single weekend when I lived in NY but I finally decided to move because I wanted to buy a house and I finally hit an age where the clubs, the bars and the staying out til 5am where no longer that appealing. I still think about moving back but I will admit, one thing that GA has that NY doesn't is great weather.

To the OP, if you have a wife and kids or plan on doing so in the next 2 -3 years, then stay in Atlanta. Otherwise, you have my blessings. Go to NYC.

Last edited by NYLATINQT; 01-08-2010 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

2,675 posts, read 5,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
In fact, I'd argue that food and clothes are cheaper in NY.
I don't think you can make a compelling case. I find very little differences in prices.

Quote:
There are deals everywhere in NY, cuz somebody always knows somebody to give you a hook up. Gotta love it.
People still looking for hookups, huh? ..... (Everyone doesn't get em')

Quote:
The part that most people fail to factor in is that although it's cheaper in GA (or FL, NC..), the jobs also pay less, so it's a wash, except that you do get more for your money in terms of housing.
Yes, and housing is what eats people's paychecks.

Quote:
As for the OP, if this person is single and under 32, go with NYC. It is so much fun. With that kind of salary, oh man, you will have a blast.
Agreed, but be weary...in no time, bills can pile up faster than that salary. I know people who blew $250k/year and still have nothing to show for. Living that life.

Quote:
The reality is that the vast majority of NYC residents make less than $50K/year. People make me laugh when they say that it is sooo expensive to live there. It's not that expensive unless you are trying to live in Midtown or the Upper East side in a building with a doorman. Or you want to hail a cab every day. Most people don't do that and don't live like that. Get a Metrocard and haul your butt onto a train or a bus and you are good to go.
True, but at the same time, people living in rent controlled rat holes want better. If living mediocre lifestyles is what they want, there is plenty of it in the city. Some people don't want to live so close to their neighbors, want parking space, and a yard for their kids to play. And with a single person making $50k/year, you'd have to go deep on Long Island to pay rent and have some sort of space, or deal with a cramped apt in the city. Again, it's not for everyone.

Quote:
I still think about moving back but I will admit, one thing that GA has that NY doesn't is great weather.
True about the weather, but weather or no weather, I (and many people who left NYC) refuse to put my family through the hustle and bustle of the city. I also have 5 cars, and parking would bury me...

Quote:
To the OP, if you have a wife and kids or plan on doing so in the next 2 -3 years, then stay in Atlanta. Otherwise, you have my blessings. Go to NYC.
Agreed. Young, single and level headed, I say: Why not?

Wife and kids, enjoy the $150k, right here in Atlanta.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,407,303 times
Reason for moving from Connecticut/New York to Atlanta: husband's company closed all North American locations to consolidate in Atlanta. Choice of job/no job and noncompete clause in contract for two years limits employment opportunities.

There are pros and cons to every move (this will be the 8th state I have lived in). I think you have to look for the good, be open to new things, and go with the flow. When I moved to the Northeast from Minnesota, 15 years ago, I was petrified of the subway, nervous to walk around after dark, and in awe every time I saw Times Square lit up at night. Still love the electricity of Times Square.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 PM

307 posts, read 581,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I already caveated my statements that it does not apply to housing or income taxes. Outside of that, what's cheaper in ATL? I've lived both places and as far as I can tell, transportation costs more in ATL because you have to drive everywhere, utilities cost more, property tax is much higher, car registration costs more, groceries cost more, dry cleaning costs more, jewelry costs more (Canal Street and the Diamond District is cheaper), furs and leather coats cost more(Orchard Street is cheaper), restaurants on average cost more (every good restaurant in ATL is pricey but you have places in NYC that are better and cheaper because of competition), etc. Yeah, a lot of folks will move down because they just want the bigger house but listen to them complain about the pay down here. Moving to ATL provides a different lifestyle but many necessities of life are not cheaper.

No, you can't get a 2bd/2bth in the outer boroughs (let's not compare Cobb to Manhattan) for $700. You will have to pay at least double and it will be smaller than you can get here. But you will make much more in NY and the cost of living is either the same or less in NY.

Like I said, it depends on what kind of life you want. If you value space and want to live in the city, then the salary difference probably won't get you that. If you are willing to live outside of Manhattan with that salary and you value the other things NY offers, then you'll live just as good a life or better than in ATL.

And I said before, you spend that much in NY because there is so much to do. I fell in the same trap when I lived in Manhattan... my friends and I would blow cash like it's nothing because we hung out every single night of the week. If I moved back, I would not spend as much because I have a family... but hanging out on average costs the same. The W charges the same for drinks here as they do in Union Sq or Times Sq... clubs charge the same cover and same drink prices so that's a wash.

I have to agree with you. I've read other posts refuting your statement but here in Atlanta you do get nickeled and dimed for everything it seems. What initially seems like a deal or cheap compared to NYC is not really a deal at all. But alot of things are already built into NYC
tax structure that are nickelled and dimed here.

Without a car you can still be extremely mobile in teh NYC/ NJ area. Here without a car it does limit you. A car is like my grandma says, "like having a child." It needs things and it is expensive.

The prices for homes here in Atl are cheaper that is true and that does suck people in, but there is alot more to living than the price of a home; eg, cultural, etc. For me that is possibly the biggest difference living in NYC.

Another thing remember NYC is really 5 boros Manhattan (aka the city), The Bronx, Kings County (Brooklyn),, Queens and Staten Island. Living in Manhattan is very very expensive, as well as parts of Brooklyn and some parts of Queens.

If you try parts of Northern Jersey you may find a deal as well as parts of Queens and Brooklyn. Go to NY even if you do it for a few years, you may decide you love it and stay or decide after a while "been there, it was great, but done that and its time to move on"

Either way on 225 a year in NYC you won't starve and you will be able to have a social life. Good luck to you.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 PM

305 posts, read 919,818 times
It depends on your lifestyle but I am married with a child however, I was born and raised in NY so that is what I wanted the opportunities in NY is incredible for me, so with less than that I moved back home for the opportunity of gaining 225k in the near future. Now NY can be too busy if you are not accustom to the pace of things but you dont have to live in NYC to be comfortable with 225k believe me. I for one would look at salary and I would look at other areas outside of NYC, I would look at being close to family if that is something you want, school, social life outside of work, all these things could and would be more of an issue to me. But dont let no one fool ya 225k and you could live comfortable in NY. Now 150k and you could live just as comfortable in Atlanta it still depends on your lifestyle if you get my drift. For me, Atlanta was too slow but I found a good medium living in LI and when I want to travel into the city I drive or catch a train. I dont make 225k yet but everything fell into place a whole lot quickly here than in Atlanta I have more job oppty's and I am very happen with my income and my apt not too big and not too small, my child is in a nice neighborhood and an excellent school so I got what I wanted all the way around. Good luck on the choice but dont wait too long d

Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM

305 posts, read 919,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I'll be honest, if i were making alot more money, i'd move back to NY in a heartbeat. I left (like many others) because I was looking for a cheaper cost of living (aka cheaper housing). Besides housing, most other things are comparable. In fact, I'd argue that food and clothes are cheaper in NY. When I lived in FL, I was shocked at how expensive food was as well as car insurance. There are deals everywhere in NY, cuz somebody always knows somebody to give you a hook up. Gotta love it. The part that most people fail to factor in is that although it's cheaper in GA (or FL, NC..), the jobs also pay less, so it's a wash, except that you do get more for your money in terms of housing.

As for the OP, if this person is single and under 32, go with NYC. It is so much fun. With that kind of salary, oh man, you will have a blast. The reality is that the vast majority of NYC residents make less than $50K/year. People make me laugh when they say that it is sooo expensive to live there. It's not that expensive unless you are trying to live in Midtown or the Upper East side in a building with a doorman. Or you want to hail a cab every day. Most people don't do that and don't live like that. Get a Metrocard and haul your butt onto a train or a bus and you are good to go. Plenty of cheap restaurants. You don't have to dine in a five star restaurant with DeNiro. I was out every single weekend when I lived in NY but I finally decided to move because I wanted to buy a house and I finally hit an age where the clubs, the bars and the staying out til 5am where no longer that appealing. I still think about moving back but I will admit, one thing that GA has that NY doesn't is great weather.

three thumbs up to you for telling it how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or