U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,941,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I'll be honest, if i were making alot more money, i'd move back to NY in a heartbeat. I left (like many others) because I was looking for a cheaper cost of living (aka cheaper housing). Besides housing, most other things are comparable. In fact, I'd argue that food and clothes are cheaper in NY. When I lived in FL, I was shocked at how expensive food was as well as car insurance. There are deals everywhere in NY, cuz somebody always knows somebody to give you a hook up. Gotta love it. The part that most people fail to factor in is that although it's cheaper in GA (or FL, NC..), the jobs also pay less, so it's a wash, except that you do get more for your money in terms of housing.

As for the OP, if this person is single and under 32, go with NYC. It is so much fun. With that kind of salary, oh man, you will have a blast. The reality is that the vast majority of NYC residents make less than $50K/year. People make me laugh when they say that it is sooo expensive to live there. It's not that expensive unless you are trying to live in Midtown or the Upper East side in a building with a doorman. Or you want to hail a cab every day. Most people don't do that and don't live like that. Get a Metrocard and haul your butt onto a train or a bus and you are good to go. Plenty of cheap restaurants. You don't have to dine in a five star restaurant with DeNiro. I was out every single weekend when I lived in NY but I finally decided to move because I wanted to buy a house and I finally hit an age where the clubs, the bars and the staying out til 5am where no longer that appealing. I still think about moving back but I will admit, one thing that GA has that NY doesn't is great weather.

To the OP, if you have a wife and kids or plan on doing so in the next 2 -3 years, then stay in Atlanta. Otherwise, you have my blessings. Go to NYC.
Man, you ain't never lied... I followed a similar path to yours and when we moved to FL, I couldn't believe how much groceries were... everytime I left Publix, I felt like I got mugged. I Still feel that way here in GA except I make the once monthly trek to Gwinnett Farmer's market for my meat so I can keep costs down. I can afford to shop at Publix all the time but I hate feeling like I'm getting robbed... NY groceries were so much cheaper. My wife and I used to say all the time... how the hell are oranges cheaper in NY than in FL?? I still don't understand why veggies are cheaper in NY than in the south... we used to get plaintains 8 for $1... they sell them by the pound here... oranges were like 4 for $1... sell them by the pound here... bell peppers were $.79 lb... Walmart has them for $.95 per pepper! Habanero peppers are sold for like $5 per pound here... they came pre-packaged in NY for about $1 for 10-15 peppers! Pre-packaged foodstuff is probably the same price but meat and vegetables are much more expensive in the south, which is completely counterintuitive.

And I will agree with you again, outside of housing and income taxes, nothing is cheaper in the south. As a single person, it's a no-brainer to take the $75K extra and head up to NY for some time. If you're the type that wants/need space, you can head back south when you have a family... or, if you hit the big time and get a great job, get a big ole house in LI, Queens, Westchester, NJ or CT...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,098,850 times
Housing is the most important before all the amenties and food ETC so I would go with Cheaper living and get more for your money. Which in NYC you will not get.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM

11 posts, read 34,994 times
Born raised and still live in NJ right outside of Staten island. If I was you, take the Job in Atlanta, NY/NJ is still the highest cost of living. The people here are rude and its over populated. Even in these bad times a $400k house gets you 3-4 bedrooms 2200 SQ ft and about 10k tax bill. My wife and I do not live extravagantly and make about 180k together a year and still have do not have much to show for but an outrageous mortgage. We are even considering relocating and making less money down south to gain quality of life that is hard to come buy in the North east

Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM

927 posts, read 1,951,575 times
Wow, it looks like the OP has a lot to consider! There's apparently good and bad to both decisions. All I can say is good luck!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM

631 posts, read 1,098,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbono200 View Post
Born raised and still live in NJ right outside of Staten island. If I was you, take the Job in Atlanta, NY/NJ is still the highest cost of living. The people here are rude and its over populated. Even in these bad times a $400k house gets you 3-4 bedrooms 2200 SQ ft and about 10k tax bill. My wife and I do not live extravagantly and make about 180k together a year and still have do not have much to show for but an outrageous mortgage. We are even considering relocating and making less money down south to gain quality of life that is hard to come buy in the North east

This is the same thing my friend is going thru. Both of us have the same degree. I make less than he does but yet I own a tri level town home and he is living in a apt and is paying more than I am.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM

109 posts, read 350,295 times
I grew up in the NY metro area and now live in Atlanta. Housing in metro New York area's is extremely expensive much more than Atlanta. The suburbs with good schools and train service are also much more expensive than Atlanta. The cost of groceries is far more, property taxes are insane, income taxes are very high, car insurance rates are much more, electricity rates much higher, services are also much higher. If you commute from the suburbs parking is at a premium and expensive at the train stations. If you live in NJ and work in NY you will be paying NJ and NY taxes. People work long hours up there. Not many people work 9 to 5. Long hours are expected to move up the ladder. As my husband reminded me last week when we lived there he was gone from 6AM to 10PM.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 PM

230 posts, read 440,904 times
I will tell you what I would do based on where I am in life, I do not know where you are in life-

I am 38, married with twin 4 year old boys and a 4 month old baby Girl.

No debate, I would stay in Atlanta, not even a contest.

I was born and raised on Long Island, I will NEVER go back. Now I do not like the City life, not that Long Island is city. I am currently looking at relocating to Atlanta. The house you could get in Atlanta or in the Suburbs right now in Atlanta for around $500k would be well over a Million in the same type of community in NY, IF you can find a community in NY as nice as the ones in Atlanta, I am guessing you will not.

If you think that congestion they call traffic in Atlanta is bad wait until you get to NY, it is beyond ridiculous. Every time I go to visit it reminds me why I will never go back. I miss family, friends, and the Food. I will say the food is outstanding, have not found better Pizza or Chinese food anywhere else. Also the Deli's and Diners are great.

If you are young and single and want an apartment and love the City life that would be the only way I would even consider NY.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Homer12; 01-12-2010 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,324,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Man, you ain't never lied... I followed a similar path to yours and when we moved to FL, I couldn't believe how much groceries were... everytime I left Publix, I felt like I got mugged. I Still feel that way here in GA except I make the once monthly trek to Gwinnett Farmer's market for my meat so I can keep costs down. I can afford to shop at Publix all the time but I hate feeling like I'm getting robbed... NY groceries were so much cheaper.
You know, I used to think the same thing, but when I went back to NJ over Thanksgiving I decided to do a little research. With few exceptions, the pricing in NJ and here in GA is almost identical- so either the prices there have increased since I left, or the difference was wrongly perceived in the first place. At most, I'd say there's a $10-15/week difference in our grocery bill, and that's offset 6-fold just in the savings on our property taxes- never mind the fact that our house is substantially larger, newer, and in a better area than what we left behind.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM

16 posts, read 60,837 times
Geez I guess money talks...op hasn't been back since the original post. With his salary I don't think he needs the advice lol! I like this place you guys are awful helpful

Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,941,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You know, I used to think the same thing, but when I went back to NJ over Thanksgiving I decided to do a little research. With few exceptions, the pricing in NJ and here in GA is almost identical- so either the prices there have increased since I left, or the difference was wrongly perceived in the first place. At most, I'd say there's a $10-15/week difference in our grocery bill, and that's offset 6-fold just in the savings on our property taxes- never mind the fact that our house is substantially larger, newer, and in a better area than what we left behind.
Interesting, Bob... I'll do the same next time I'm back... my wife and I (and other transplants) think the same thing so maybe there's some perception bias going on. I'll check it out. On the fruits/veggies end, I know for sure there's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or