U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,015,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Although I didn't read the entire saga that the rest of the thread apparently became, here are two small cents from a recent Atlanta transplant into the Boston area. I am aware Boston is not New York, but I think you could safely draw an Atlanta-to-Bston / Atlanta-to-NY parallel, particularly if we are talking about 'burbs.

We were forced to relocate from Atl to the the Boston suburbs for husband's work. However, we did it with quite a bit of enthusiasm as we had always THOUGHT we would like to live in the NE as opposed to the "boring and culture-less" Atlanta.

Being from Europe, I had been particularly attracted to the siren songs of the NE, havig been told many times that the NE is so much more like Europe. Walkable, full of culture, etc.

But as they say, God is in the details. People neglected to mention that the big cities themselves may be more like Europe (hardly) but once you step outside of their perimeter, it is anything but Europe-like.

We knew all along that living in Boston itself or even in its immediate suburbs was not going to be an option for us; but we still thought that Boston would be close enough to make a "quality of life" difference.
We lived and learned.

Putting aside the variety of disappointments we have experienced in the process so far, we learned that living in a suburb of a big city with lots of culture does not necessarily mean you will have access to that culture.

On a day to day basis, suburbs are as boring and as culture-less as anywhere else in the country; and never in a million years would I have imagined that so many of these small towns in Mass (turned Boston suburbs) can be so boring, so uptight, so much less lively than Atlanta burbs and equally culture-less as Atlanta suburbs.
In addition, living in 10% of the house we could have had in Atlanta doesn't help either.

Conclusion: unless the city is right there at your doorstep (in all of its horrifically expensive glory), the typical busy life of a middle class family living in the suburbs will not allow for frequent visits in town to soak in all that "culture" that is THERE but NOT in Atlanta.

We eventually realized that if we are doomed to American suburban life (which we are), Atlanta is in fact a much better option for us because we could afford to live closer to whatever level of urbanity Atlanta has to offer, in a much nicer house, much cleaner environment, with much better weather, less overall expense, easier driving, etc.

We are now getting ready for a return down South next year - having seen both sides of the coin. Atlanta won for us.

We will leave the NE to all those who believe it is ALL THAT and then SOME, wishing for as few transplants from the North as possible once we are back there!
You really can't compare any suburb to NYC. Frankly the suburbs can be boring anywhere but when you have kids it becomes about their needs. True I'd take the Atlanta suburbs over the NE suburbs...its a very nice lifestyle. But for city living I would pick NYC 100% everytime. It's a once and a lifetime experience. Your Boston suburb experience while unfortunate is irrelevant for the original poster.

Hopefully you won't run into me and despise me for being from the Northeast. I am sorry you have had a bad experience.

This thread is so old...I wonder what the original poster ended up doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM

2,675 posts, read 5,663,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
This thread is so old...I wonder what the original poster ended up doing?
Probably in NYC.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or