Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 25,177 times

Advertisements

We know there are a lot of NYC transplants in the area.

While its not easy to make exact comparsions, lets try to come close:

Buckhead, which would not only include Buckhead proper, and other northside neighborhoods like Morningside, Ansley Park, and Collier Hills, could be Upper Westside or Upper Eastide. I'd also suggest Riverdale or Dyker Heights

Midtown would be the Upper Westside, Upper Eastside, Prospect Heights, maybe Long Island City

Cascade, which would include not only Cascade Heights proper, but Audubon Forest, Adams Park, and Peyton Forest. Although not in Cascade, lets throw in nearby Collier Heights. You could make comparisons to SE Queens neighborhoods like Addisleigh Park, Laurelton, Cambria Heights or St. Albans.

Atlanta's Upper Westside ( Riverside, Scotts Crossing, Midtown West, Blandtown) might remind you of Bayside, south of downtown Brooklyn neighborhoods like Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights. Canarsie might be a fit. I admit this part of town is tough.

West End,Westview & Beecher might put you in the mind of Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill or Ft. Greene.

Eastside Atl neighborhoods like East Atlanta, O4W, Kirwood , Little 5pts etc.= Greenwich Village, Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill, or SoHo.

Capitol View/Capitol View Manor and Sylvan Hills = Mott Haven, Flatbush,Washington Heights.

I know some of these comparisons might be a little broad, but hey ,why don't you give it a shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin View Post
We know there are a lot of NYC transplants in the area.

While its not easy to make exact comparsions, lets try to come close:

Buckhead, which would not only include Buckhead proper, and other northside neighborhoods like Morningside, Ansley Park, and Collier Hills, could be Upper Westside or Upper Eastide. I'd also suggest Riverdale or Dyker Heights

Midtown would be the Upper Westside, Upper Eastside, Prospect Heights, maybe Long Island City

Cascade, which would include not only Cascade Heights proper, but Audubon Forest, Adams Park, and Peyton Forest. Although not in Cascade, lets throw in nearby Collier Heights. You could make comparisons to SE Queens neighborhoods like Addisleigh Park, Laurelton, Cambria Heights or St. Albans.

Atlanta's Upper Westside ( Riverside, Scotts Crossing, Midtown West, Blandtown) might remind you of Bayside, south of downtown Brooklyn neighborhoods like Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights. Canarsie might be a fit. I admit this part of town is tough.

West End,Westview & Beecher might put you in the mind of Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill or Ft. Greene.

Eastside Atl neighborhoods like East Atlanta, O4W, Kirwood , Little 5pts etc.= Greenwich Village, Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill, or SoHo.

Capitol View/Capitol View Manor and Sylvan Hills = Mott Haven, Flatbush,Washington Heights.

I know some of these comparisons might be a little broad, but hey ,why don't you give it a shot
I think you did well---I've read a few other posts like this and read about NYC neighborhoods---very interesting history, etc.

I'm in NE Atlanta--let's say you are driving north on Ponce de Leon--past City Hall/Atlanta East police precinct or whatever the old Sears Bldg is now---thought they changed the agencies that were located there---Borders Shopping Center on the Left---and then Kroger shopping center on the R--then Plaza Drugs--intersect with Briarcliff/L/Va Highland and Moreland -R on to ???parts of Candler/Inman Park and SE ATL.

Stay on Ponce de Leon--still headed North--you come to Callanwolde/old Candler Mansion, Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Druid Hills/Driving Miss Daisy/Dogwood area, Emory University and Decatur. One of our most historic and better areas--what is there in NYC like that?

I've seen 'Sex and the City' and recall Carrie's Brownstone well--is that part of NYC comparable to the 'Druid Hills/Emory/Decatur' area?

Just Curious.

tia

FWIW--on a quick trip to New York--headed north--I visited a family living somewhere on Long Island---somewhat similar to 40's/50's homes/neighborhoods across metro Atlanta--but no yards. Maybe a postage stamp sized yard. Otherwise the shopping areas and 'life' seemed to be much the same. Have no idea where I might have been on Long Island--we left the next AM. LOL--saw upstate New York and drove into Canada--into Montreal--a city I hope to visit again.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I think you did well---I've read a few other posts like this and read about NYC neighborhoods---very interesting history, etc.

I'm in NE Atlanta--let's say you are driving north on Ponce de Leon--past City Hall/Atlanta East police precinct or whatever the old Sears Bldg is now---thought they changed the agencies that were located there---Borders Shopping Center on the Left---and then Kroger shopping center on the R--then Plaza Drugs--intersect with Briarcliff/L/Va Highland and Moreland -R on to ???parts of Candler/Inman Park and SE ATL.

Stay on Ponce de Leon--still headed North--you come to Callanwolde/old Candler Mansion, Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Druid Hills/Driving Miss Daisy/Dogwood area, Emory University and Decatur. One of our most historic and better areas--what is there in NYC like that?

I've seen 'Sex and the City' and recall Carrie's Brownstone well--is that part of NYC comparable to the 'Druid Hills/Emory/Decatur' area?

Just Curious.

tia

FWIW--on a quick trip to New York--headed north--I visited a family living somewhere on Long Island---somewhat similar to 40's/50's homes/neighborhoods across metro Atlanta--but no yards. Maybe a postage stamp sized yard. Otherwise the shopping areas and 'life' seemed to be much the same. Have no idea where I might have been on Long Island--we left the next AM. LOL--saw upstate New York and drove into Canada--into Montreal--a city I hope to visit again.

That area might be like Fieldston.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin View Post
That area might be like Fieldston.
ok--I'll google Fieldston---just curious as how ATL compares to NYC.

ETA: Here's what Google says>>>
http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Fieldston+(New+York)

hmmm --The Bronx? I thought that was sort of a tough area---Bill Clinton has an office there?--maybe parts of it are very upscale?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieldston,_Bronx

Druid Hills is 'Old Atlanta'--fingers crossed Lovin Decatur sees this thread--she's lived in both cities and could do a better job with explaining the Emory/Druid Hills area----lol--writes well ---flawless punctuation. u will love 'Lovin Decatur'...

lol--I should go and see for myself, right? Hope to do that---'The Big Apple' --Times Square--bet they will be freezing their arses off tomorrow night and I bet they won't care!!!!!

Go NYC---New York, New York---no other place like it, correct?

Happy New Year to you---if you are in Georgia--then you are 'required' to eat blackeyed peas--for coins and turnip greens for dollar bills on New Year's Day---along with that 'chitterlins', cornbread, chou chou--tomato, onion, cabbage relish, drink sweet tea--and finish off the day with football and pecan pie or pumpkin pie or whatever they give you. Maybe peach cobbler if you are lucky.

We are 'crazy rednecks' here in the South---really like people --just 'set in our ways' at times.

Welcome to The South---Y'all Come.

waving at ya'

Later Gator--

Take

Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Are you comparing demographics or the actual housing/street/feel to the area?
I think it is virtually impossible to compare Manhattan to any part of Atlanta.

Even in Manhattan the neighborhoods change, depending on the block. For example the Upper East Side is a haven for recent college grads willing to shell out $1,000/month EACH to live with 3 or 4 roommates in an 800 square foot space or it can mean multi-million dollar, multilevel brownstone, or an extremely expensive high rise.

I think that neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, and certainly Long Island compare more to Atlanta. Or the outer suburbs of New Jersey, New York and Connecticut certainly compare to say Norcross, West Cobb, etc.

Buckhead is more of a Greenwich, CT than any part of NYC other than Riverdale. Parts of Great Neck, LI resemble Avondale Estates. Druid Hills is like Bronxville.

Bill Clinton actually resides in Chappaqua, New York (nice Colonial style home on a lovely street) but his office is somewhere in the 125th Street area of Harlem which is a very historic location experiencing a major rebirth especially with the construction of 1 or 2 major hotels.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post

Even in Manhattan the neighborhoods change, depending on the block. For example the Upper East Side is a haven for recent college grads willing to shell out $1,000/month EACH to live with 3 or 4 roommates in an 800 square foot space or it can mean multi-million dollar, multilevel brownstone, or an extremely expensive high rise.

I think that neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, and certainly Long Island compare more to Atlanta. Or the outer suburbs of New Jersey, New York and Connecticut certainly compare to say Norcross, West Cobb, etc.

Buckhead is more of a Greenwich, CT than any part of NYC other than Riverdale. Parts of Great Neck, LI resemble Avondale Estates. Druid Hills is like Bronxville.

Bill Clinton actually resides in Chappaqua, New York (nice Colonial style home on a lovely street) but his office is somewhere in the 125th Street area of Harlem which is a very historic location experiencing a major rebirth especially with the construction of 1 or 2 major hotels.
Spot on. Atlanta goes to a suburban template quite quickly upon leaving Downtown and Midtown, so it's very difficult to compare the cities proper. Our 'Central Park', Piedmont Park, abuts highrises on it's west side, but much more low-density neighborhoods on all the other sides.

I think your Bronxville/Druid Hills analogy is perfect, and Buckhead would indeed fit right in with Gold Coast communities such as Greenwich, Darien or Shippan Point. The Broadland/Fairfield Road area of Buckhead feels a great deal like parts of Rowayton, CT; the Riverside Drive area of Sandy Springs resembles New Canaan.
Back in the day, the Pershing Point area of Midtown reminded me of my old neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights at times; there was an apartment building in PP that was the image of the one I lived in on Pineapple St. Alas, that and many other gorgeous old buildings in PP were leveled in the name of progress.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:

A combination.

Like I said, it is a challenging task.

There are neighborhoods like Forest Hills that may favor parts of north Atlanta, but are not spot on.

This would be easier if you matched metro Atlana with metro New York City, but it wouldn't be as interesting.

For instance, the South Bronx,in particular Mott Haven/Hunts Point, may
have a lot more retail, but demographic wise is similar to Capitol View and Capitol View Manor. Like that part Atlanta ( Pittsburgh, Adair Park, Sylvan Hills ) there has been some human and financial investment in recent years. Like like thier NYC counterpart , these areas are showing some gentrication. All are near lagre sports venues.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanx --roxyrn--my mind is addled--yes, Clinton/Harlem not the Bronx.

'Bronx=Rocky Balboa'???'Travolta in Saturday Night Fever'?--you can tell I need to learn a great deal more about the borroughs.

Jotting that on the New Year's Resolution list.

I'll continue reading your discussion and see if I can get a better 'picture' of NYC. I'm afraid I once relied on David Letterman and Conan O'Brien for insight into life in NYC---lol. They have tall buildings and huge, gooey things can be smashed from the top of the tall buildings---Thanx, Dave.

They have delis--Conan visited them.

it is wrong to know so little--sigh--hope to do something about that

Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 PM

145 posts, read 361,497 times
Ahem...to this part of your post:
"Atlanta's Upper Westside ( Riverside, Scotts Crossing, Midtown West, Blandtown) might remind you of Bayside, south of downtown Brooklyn neighborhoods like Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights. Canarsie might be a fit. I admit this part of town is tough."

I would like to add: Whittier Mill Village. We are right next to Riverside. Oh, and it's Adams Crossing. Not Scotts Crossing. Unless I have missed something during my 7 years here, including 3 as the Chair of our NPU. Ha!

And we're not that rough! I get the Zone 2 Police reports every week, and that Zone includes Buckhead and the areas Westward, all the way over to us, and we here in WMV certainly have far, far, FAR less crime that most other neighborhoods, even Buckhead. Not that there is anything wrong with Buckhead But I read your summary of Atlanta's Upper Westside, and just had to add Whittier! A more complete listing of our neighborhoods is:

Blandtown
Berkeley Park
Underwood Hills
Hills Park
Bolton
Riverside
Whittier Mill Village
DuPont Commons
Adams Crossing
Vinings on the Chattahoochee

All of these neighborhoods make up the very Northwesternmost part of Atlanta. WMV is as far NW as you can go and not fall into the River.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Thanx --roxyrn--my mind is addled--yes, Clinton/Harlem not the Bronx.

'Bronx=Rocky Balboa'???'Travolta in Saturday Night Fever'?--you can tell I need to learn a great deal more about the borroughs.

Jotting that on the New Year's Resolution list.

I'll continue reading your discussion and see if I can get a better 'picture' of NYC. I'm afraid I once relied on David Letterman and Conan O'Brien for insight into life in NYC---lol. They have tall buildings and huge, gooey things can be smashed from the top of the tall buildings---Thanx, Dave.

They have delis--Conan visited them.

it is wrong to know so little--sigh--hope to do something about that

The Bronx doesn't have as many Italians as it did, say, 10 years ago. SNF would be Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta