U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM

112 posts, read 331,565 times

Advertisements

I am 27 yr old single parent and also college graduate with a Bachelor's in Radio and Television. In May it will be two years I have been out of college. I have not found anything in Cincinnati and people tell me Atlanta has more opportunities for African American's. The response I get here is I'm too qualified or they can't pay me what I'm worth.

Let me ask how is the job market down there? I want to get my Master's in Computer Programming/Web Design. How is jobs for college graduates? I do have family there so I can live with them for a while.

I am also a single parent with a son who is 8. He attends a charter school and I did look those up. I had the following in mind

University Community Academy
Drew Charter School
Atlanta Prepatory Academy (anyone know about it? Its new opened this school year)

Also my son loves to do football so what is the best Pee Wee teams? His team won two super bowls, undefeated for two years and won tournament in Tennessee in 2008. So I would like to keep him with a winning program.

Well I think that's all. Oh how is the weather? Living in Ohio I have to deal with snow and living with my mom on a hill I hate it. I hate to shovel and would like to move from cold.

Thanks again.

Last edited by LaStar00; 01-06-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM

314 posts, read 553,170 times
The summers in Atlanta suck, but the better winters down there are awesome. We've gotten as much snow here in Columbus in the past month as you would see in a decade in Georgia, and unlike here where the snow stays on the ground forever, it usually melts away in Georgia pretty quickly. I used to run dedicated summer tires with super-soft rubber (TERRIBLE in the snow/ice, literally a deathtrap) year 'round and I never ran into any trouble, b/c snow is almost nonexistent.

Atlanta should have more opportunities than Cincy, but it's hard to say b/c it's so people-dependent. There are a lot more non-whites down there though, for whatever that's worth.

Good luck with the search!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,828,603 times
I think that the job market is bad down here for everyone. I would really take a look at your family down here and expect to be living with them for quite some time, would that be okay with them? You should also put together a detailed moving budget. Moving usually always costs more than people budget for.

If you can look for a job down here, before you move that would be the best. Most of the people on this board agree that moving before you have a job is a bad idea.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Family doesn't care how long I stay. In Cincinnati I have assistance so i would hope I would get the same down there. But I've been told by many people Atlanta is better for blacks (if you can't tell I'm black). So I thought a visit is in order. I hate Cincinnati with a passion. I have a degree and no doors are opening. Friends have tried to help but still nothing. So relocation so me seems needed. I have loans to pay back and can't do that without a job. But thanks for input. Did it snow hard down there? We've had snow since 7am and its 1pm and won't stop till 6pm. I live on a hill with my mom and its hell to shovel. That's another reason i wnat to leave is because of snow.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,467,306 times
^I've just seen a few flakes blowing around - not much yet.

You may have more opportunities here simply because Atlanta is over twice the size of Cincy, but it's still pretty tough out there. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 AM

606 posts, read 1,784,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStar00 View Post
Family doesn't care how long I stay. In Cincinnati I have assistance so i would hope I would get the same down there. But I've been told by many people Atlanta is better for blacks (if you can't tell I'm black). So I thought a visit is in order. I hate Cincinnati with a passion. I have a degree and no doors are opening. Friends have tried to help but still nothing. So relocation so me seems needed. I have loans to pay back and can't do that without a job. But thanks for input. Did it snow hard down there? We've had snow since 7am and its 1pm and won't stop till 6pm. I live on a hill with my mom and its hell to shovel. That's another reason i wnat to leave is because of snow.
We don't get much snow here, maybe 1 or 2 inches a year. We do have a lot of tornadoes though which can be really scary.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,276,306 times
Generally speaking, the "assistance programs" aren't very good here. Being poor here sucks. No two ways about it.

I suspect it is the same in Ohio, but charter schools have to have space. You will have to live within the city limits of Atlanta to attend those charter schools. Does your family live in Atlanta or in another area?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM

My family lives in Atlanta. Have to ask them where. I just want to leave Cincinnati. Because going on 2yrs being out of college with no job is frustrating and I think a move is in order. Don't you? People continue to get laid off and hiring freezes here. So not much hope. Even my college just tells me to keepy applying. Spent all that money and that's all they can tell me. Bull I know.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,276,306 times
Then cast your net wide and broad. The Atlanta market is not much better than Cincinatti and the government support you have there may very well not be here.

Think of everywhere you have family and friends, including smaller markets where entry level media jobs may be easier to get. Atlanta is a tough market even in a good economy. Lots of competition for jobs in television and other media even when jobs were plentiful.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 PM

307 posts, read 581,373 times
Please Please, do not move here without a job or a very deep bank account to support yourself and your family until you find employment, which can take up to a year or more. I cannot stress that enough to ANY one that is considering moving to Atlanta (or any where for that matter)..Secure the employment first, then move/relocate unless your pockets/savings are deep.

There is no gravy train in Atlanta. The glory days of the late 80's to early 2000's are, at least for now, over. When they return, it may not be what it use to be, not necessarily a bad thing, but for the forseable time, this city is in a deep recession.

It is TOUGH here just like any where else in the country right now. Job search via the internet now where you currently live. If you find a job you like submit your resume online. If you have what the recruiter is looking for you will be called for an interview and can fly in town for it.

I advise any one if you have a job stay where you are at least you are employed. IF you are not employed and want to relocate get the job first, then relocate. If you have deep pockets or deep savings to support yourself then maybe take a chance relocating and even then, you would have to live (depending on how deep your savings are) pretty frugally to make it stretch for a long haul (at least a year)

Good luck to you and any one else looking for a change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or