U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,550,735 times

Advertisements

My take on this is that Roy Barnes has a better than good chance of becoming Governor again. He's the only noteworthy person in the Georgia Democratic Party whom is currently running and should easily take the primary (unless rumors of Shirley Franklin running for Governor I hear from people in the know is true).

People will bring up 2002 and use how he lost badly as some sort of indicator as to how he will do this year, but that is not looking at the whole picture.

For one, the Flag issue was just a irrelevant distractor. There were a lot of people who got all in a huff about it, but given how Governor "Pray for Rain"reneged on his promise to change the flag back or let the people vote for it and then got reelected, it really shows how that whole "issue" was blown out of proportion. It was obvious the flag needed to be changed a long time ago and it is on no one's radar to for the 2010 election.

What went unnoticed is the real reason why Barnes lost in 2002 and how none of that applies now. Back then, Barnes lost primarily because he pissed off the Teachers Union and aggravated Atlanta liberals and progressives by trying to force the Northern Arc upon us. Along with other hijinks in the Legislature, Georgia Dems weren't enthusiastic about him during the election. There was also the fact that in 2002 there was a huge wave of enthusiasm centered on the Republican party in every election across the country.

For 2010, I don't believe that there will be a huge change in the voting habits of Georgians. Republicans should still continue to win fairly well in the Northern burbs and rural parts of the state. But after 8 years of Governor "Pray for Rain" Georgia Dems and progressives have realized that we'd rather have an overly aggressive Governor than, well, someone named "Sonny" and all that entails.

Barnes also seems to be the only major candidate pushing for regional rail/high speed rail and not standing in the way of Georgia becoming a stem cell research center.

For Republicans, they have a bigger uphill battle than they realize.

Nathan Deal is a birther. Enough said.

Karen Handel's focusing on mythical illegal voting and the sexual exploits of the top Republicans in the Legislature will get her no where. Plus, while Atlanta can handle a woman in charge, I don't think the rest of Georgia is ready for that.

For Oxendine, despite all of the other rather ridiculous things he has done/proposed, only one thing needs to be said: His solution for Atlanta's traffic woes is a tunnel under the eastside of the city from 400 to 675.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 AM

314 posts, read 553,170 times
Good responses, all! I haven't had a chance to follow Ga politics much lately so it's a nice catchup course.

I can comment on Sonny though. Whatever leadership he's displayed in fixing Georgia's water problems came way too late, after years of doing nothing even after the crisis was upon us (unless you count playing the blame game). His handling of that was approaching the levels of a national embarrassment (I remember it being a headline in the NyTimes, where you don't usually see stories about Georgia)
Political cover | Atlanta | News & Views | Metropolis

Not to mention his utter contempt for a great deal of state workers. My wife used to work for the state of Georgia and as poorly as they were paid before Sonny, it got much much worse after him. He's not a man afraid of balancing the state budget on the backs of the workers that keep the state machinery humming along (and are already surprisingly poorly paid).

Not to mention the fact that when he was running for office he made sure to manipulate the hopes of the more ignorant Georgians that he would bring back their beloved flag.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,057,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Speaking only for myself--an Independent---started out as a Southern Dem--once with Roy Barnes was enough.

If I thought for a second Gingrich would run---I might consider him---never really cared for his politics but the man knows the state and has surprised me at times with some ideas that make sense. He won't do it of course.

Time to beat the bushes and drive out an 'Unknown'----not intending to start serious, intense, discussion--but Tyler Perry is running a good business why not ask him if he knows anybody who would take such a job---tired of what the Past has been myself---regardless of party affiliations we need a Progressive thinker that can 'Get this Show on the Road'.

TakeAhike...

You seem like you'd be a pretty cool person to hang out with.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,367,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Hmmm, might have to reconsider that and weigh it against this:

FAVORABLE UNFAVORABLE DON'T KNOW NET CHANGE
PRESIDENT OBAMA 56 (56) 41 (40) 3 (4) -1

PELOSI: 42 (42) 48 (49) 10 (9) 1
REID: 33 (32) 56 (57) 11 (11) 2
McCONNELL: 18 (18) 63 (64) 19 (18) 1
BOEHNER: 19 (18) 61 (62) 20 (20) 2

CONGRESSIONAL DEMS: 41 (40) 55 (55) 4 (5) 1
CONGRESSIONAL GOPS: 18 (17) 65 (66) 17 (17) 2

DEMOCRATIC PARTY: 42 (42) 53 (54) 5 (4) 1
REPUBLICAN PARTY: 30 (29) 60 (61) 10 (10) 2

Along with the results of the last three presidential elections in Georgia:

2000 Rep. 54.67% 1,419,720 Dem. 42.98% 1,116,230
2004 Rep. 57.97% 1,914,254 Dem. 41.37% 1,366,149
2008 Rep. 52.20% 2,048,744 Dem. 47.00% 1,844,137

What does this all mean?

America isn't as disenfranchised with the Democratic Party or the President as Fox News and AM Radio would have you believe, everyone hates Congress but the people are less disgusted at the Democratic Party than they are with Republicans, and Georgia is turning more and more blue.

Don't count your chickens yet
Not a big believer in polls, as they can quite often be manipulated to say what you want them to. History would bear me out...typically, the party out of power regains ground after the first round of elections following a Presidential election. Virginia and New Jersey's 2009 elections may indeed be a harbinger of things to come.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,206,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
TakeAhike...

You seem like you'd be a pretty cool person to hang out with.

lOL--Aries, right now--I'm a pretty COLD person. But, if you have heard enough politics and want to talk about almost anything else in the world--we could do that.

OMG--about the only thing worse to me is a rousing discussion of the finer points of religion.

I can listen to a little bit of 'Boortz' etc---but come away with a throbbing headache.

Fingers crossed 'new blood' will emerge and I will be exceedingly interested in what that individual has to say.

Hope the snow in my yard hasn't completely melted--I want to get a pic of my dog--doesn't like to get his paws wet and cold but I think he needs to be immortalized in the Jan '10 --'Snow'---have a good day and stay warm.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,367,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What went unnoticed is the real reason why Barnes lost in 2002 and how none of that applies now. Back then, Barnes lost primarily because he pissed off the Teachers Union and aggravated Atlanta liberals and progressives by trying to force the Northern Arc upon us. Along with other hijinks in the Legislature, Georgia Dems weren't enthusiastic about him during the election. There was also the fact that in 2002 there was a huge wave of enthusiasm centered on the Republican party in every election across the country.
At last, waronxmas identifies the true reasons for Barnes' defeat...the flag issue has been vastly overstated. I don't think the average GA voter gave a hoot in Hell about the flag change. The troglodytes that got in such a lather over it were IMO a fringe group that had the ability to hold the attention of our sensationalist media.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,057,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
At last, waronxmas identifies the true reasons for Barnes' defeat...the flag issue has been vastly overstated. I don't think the average GA voter gave a hoot in Hell about the flag change. The troglodytes that got in such a lather over it were IMO a fringe group that had the ability to hold the attention of our sensationalist media.

War-On-Christmas and Lady Decatur...

Agreed.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,775 times
Default As long as we can get someone better than Sonny Perdue, it's cool with me!

I am not a fan of the current crop of Republicans running for office. I also am not impressed by the current Democratic leadership, but I sincerely hope that whoever is elected as governor will be willing to do something about our current educational crisis, economic expansion, and rally for state funds to help with the costs of operating MARTA.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM

823 posts, read 2,022,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not a big believer in polls, as they can quite often be manipulated to say what you want them to. History would bear me out...typically, the party out of power regains ground after the first round of elections following a Presidential election. Virginia and New Jersey's 2009 elections may indeed be a harbinger of things to come.
I doubt that. The only reason a Republican won in NJ is because there was a third party candidate that siphoned votes away from Corzine. Nationwide, if there is a third party candidate in a big race in 2010 it is much more likely to be a teabagger who won't get any votes from Democrats. A more prescient race is NY-23 where the Democrat won after a teabagger got involved.

All politics is local.

To bring this back around to Georgia. I'll vote for whoever the Democrat ends up being. I cannot conceive of voting for either Handel or Oxendine. They are terrifying. I don't think Barnes or whoever the Democrat ends up being has a chance. Politics at the National level is too polarizing and that trickles down to the state level. The only way a Dem could win is with huge turnout in Atlanta and I don't think anyone with their hat in the ring can make that happen.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM

8,059 posts, read 10,534,066 times
I'm a very conservative, Republican voter, but find myself out of synch with some of the Republicans in Georgia politics. I definitely want someone that can bridge the gap between Atlanta and the rest of the state, but I definitely believe that transportation issues in metro Atlanta are paramount for not just the health of the metro area but for the whole state.

I was (and still am) a proponent for an outer perimeter, but the longer this gets pushed aside, the more difficult it becomes to implement. Same for commuter rail and expansion of light and heavy rail. But it does need to get done.

So, would love to see someone like Sam Olens as the next governor, business minded, conservative, gets things done kind of guy, not a polemic type. Any indication that he is running? Have to depend on this site to keep up with things back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or