Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM

314 posts, read 639,598 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if this is actually going to go anywhere. NOT intended to be a huge political debate, just curious.

Barnes brings in $2.7 million for governor comeback bid *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
God, I hope not.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
I think it is unlikely. All of the polls show pretty good confidence in the GOP leadership, and most analysts say the race leans strongly GOP. Roy Barnes has very high negatives, I believe the highest negatives of all of the candidates. My prediction is that John Oxendine will become the next governor. Oxendine also has the highest favorables.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
As I remember, Roy Barnes, he wasn't a 'Dynamic' leader and then there was 'the flag'. I think there will be a stronger candidate---maybe a 'younger' candidate?

I can't say that I would be eager to support Roy Barnes--mainly because he already held it---'A New Broom' --that is what would interest me.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
He definitely has a shot, based on his name recognition and the fact that the potential candidates on the Republican side are a lackluster bunch in my opinion. The obvious question though is what has changed now over 2002, and why would voters assume Barnes will do things in a second term that he couldn't or wouldn't do in a first, at a time when he had a Democrat majority in the state legislature?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
Ga. Governor candidate John Oxendine loves ‘Confederate gray’ | Fresh Loaf

I don't like Oxendine for that reason alone. He seems kinda weird. I also saw him on the news recently, busting some corrupt stuff, when in reality, he probably knew.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Ga. Governor candidate John Oxendine loves ‘Confederate gray’ | Fresh Loaf

I don't like Oxendine for that reason alone. He seems kinda weird. I also saw him on the news recently, busting some corrupt stuff, when in reality, he probably knew.
I'm not so sure about him either, I want someone new. Plenty of time someone should step up---the New Georgia--time to get growing again.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
He definitely has a shot, based on his name recognition and the fact that the potential candidates on the Republican side are a lackluster bunch in my opinion. The obvious question though is what has changed now over 2002, and why would voters assume Barnes will do things in a second term that he couldn't or wouldn't do in a first, at a time when he had a Democrat majority in the state legislature?
and don't forget the Flag--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Barnes

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
Current flag---over which there was much discussion>>>
Moderator cut: link removed

I am far from 'cognizant' of what goes on at present under the Gold Dome but I would guess that those that are 'Red' are in no mood to compromise and Under the Big Tent, in this state we should have the full spectrum of opinions. South GA---they haven't gotten the economic boost that is truly needed there and they will persist in bringing their issues forward. Metro Atlanta---a different set of issues and then there is the 'rest of the state'---I'd say we have a number of independent voters--who can really assess the political climate. Well, Boortz, Herman Cain--can and will but Boortz is off on the disgusting filth that shot arrows into the horse. No punishment too severe for them, jmo. He said somebody covered the Humane Society's $5,000 reward for their apprehension---so good job, Boortz.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I don't think that this is going to be a banner year for any Democrat, particularly in Georgia.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times
I think Barnes has a good shot. He wasnt great but he wasnt bad. The Republican Party needs a stronger candidate than Oxendine though. He spoke at a local GOP meeting a while ago, he was OK, but I think Barnes would eat him up in a face to face debate. None fo the other GOP folks light my fire anyway. But I'm hopeful for a decent GOP candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta