Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Twin Cities, Mineapolis, MN--I count that as Midwest. 'Mary Tyler Moore' country?

You do seem to be reasonable and rational --wherever you hail from.
I think he hails from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Also a sane place, at least in this midwesterner's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
If Oxendine is elected, I will lose all hope for this once great State.

That one thing would probably prod me into leaving the place that I love.

BTW, I am a huge Barnes supporter, and would love to have him back. Sonny-Bubba has moved us backwards to the point of embarrassment, imo.
No need to leave----although I wouldn't blame you---think of all the things Oxendine may have done prior to this---I guess he could do greater evil but certain he has done plenty--which if we knew the particulars--we would all be loading the uhauls as we speak.

Just don't let Zell Miller get any ideas about making a comeback---didn't he serve 2 terms---might not be eligible for a third--but a constitutional amendment could rectify that?

'Zell'--I found an old book that he had written the other day--intend to read it thoroughly and review my GA history.

Hey--how about this---we have a local boy that has done well---Newt Gingrich---how about that---Governor Gingrich?

'A Whole Newt World'---a parody by Capitol Steps---still makes me lol--'Contract with America'---ah---politics. Better to brave the ice and snow than think of political things.

Maybe someone from the Atlanta forum of City-Data should run for Governor--I've read some intelligent discussions here---go for it.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think he hails from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Also a sane place, at least in this midwesterner's opinion.

I have lost my mind--I originally thought I responded to you 'rc',--certain you were from the Twin Cities---

Time to play in the snow--we have a number of posters capable of rational discussion---mostly transplants???---Georgia politics is not rational---I can tell you that. When election time comes---I take a deep breath and cross my fingers---pick the lesser of 2 evils--a time honored tradition, jmo.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM

21 posts, read 26,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Ga. Governor candidate John Oxendine loves ‘Confederate gray’ | Fresh Loaf

I don't like Oxendine for that reason alone. He seems kinda weird. I also saw him on the news recently, busting some corrupt stuff, when in reality, he probably knew.
What's wrong with liking Confederate Gray?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I'm not so sure about him either, I want someone new. Plenty of time someone should step up---the New Georgia--time to get growing again.
The economy has ground to a halt, nation-wide, and it's never going to regain itself like it once was, simply for the fact that the U.S. is a bankrupt, debt-ridden nation. It was only the printing money out of thin air, easy loans, and speculation that made the previous boom possible. People are wiser to the fallacy of such moves, as they are unsustainable in the long run.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
If Oxendine is elected, I will lose all hope for this once great State.

That one thing would probably prod me into leaving the place that I love.

BTW, I am a huge Barnes supporter, and would love to have him back. Sonny-Bubba has moved us backwards to the point of embarrassment, imo.
In what ways have "sonny-bubba" moved us "backwards to the point of embarrassment"?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Round Table View Post
The economy has ground to a halt, nation-wide, and it's never going to regain itself like it once was, simply for the fact that the U.S. is a bankrupt, debt-ridden nation. It was only the printing money out of thin air, easy loans, and speculation that made the previous boom possible. People are wiser to the fallacy of such moves, as they are unsustainable in the long run.
I don't dispute that---but I can only hope and pray, think positive thoughts, invoke good karma, etc---that something can be salvaged. Do not ask me to clarify my econonmic philosophy or plan--I don't have one--lowly peasant living on cake crumbs myself---like in 'Les Miz'---surely there is someone amongst ourselves--with all the college degrees, specialized training, religion and leadership ability that seems to abound in the US- that can nudge life in these United States in the right direction.

Personally--at this very moment--I would nominate Bill Murray or even Jim Carrey and just enjoy their entertaining comments as we approached the Apocalypse.

Maybe George Clooney could be persuaded--his dad was in politics--and it would be great to look at Clooney during press conferences. Yes,---casting 1 vote for George Clooney ----and Hugh Jackman for Vice President---what a happy nation we will then be.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Oxendine is a complete moron who has proposed to route an extension of GA 400/I 675 right through Intown neighborhoods such as Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, and East Atlanta. He is also very questionable in regards to his ethics. In short, he's a disaster--and a clownish one at that. The rest of the GOP slate is filled with people trying to out-teabag each other in order to attract attention from the more conservative wing of the GOP on a national level. On top of that, the state GOP is clearly not interested in governing, as shown by the ineptitude of the State Legislature in addressing crucial issues in our state, such as transportation. In fact, each year the State Legislative session is seen as an opportunity by state leaders to bring home pork and score cheap political points by introducing vapid and ridiculous resolutions--such as reaffirming Georgia's sovereignty and right to secede from the Union.

Don't get me wrong--although I consider myself fairly liberal, I would easily vote for a Republican candidate, like former Cobb County Commissioner Sam Olens, if they showed some sort of interest in governing and offered real solutions instead of the whole "privatize services/crippling tax cuts" mantra. Nothing is for free and if we want to see improvements in infrastructure and education--we gotta pay for it.

That being said, Barnes is by far the best option and will probably fare pretty well as Georgians are a lot less hostile to local Dems than they are to the national party. He has so far done a good job in toning down the part of his demeanor that came across as arrogant to many Georgians. He also is one of the only few interested in actually governing rather than gaining cheap political points by campaigning on gimmicks that will never be realized.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Round Table View Post
In what ways have "sonny-bubba" moved us "backwards to the point of embarrassment"?
Let's see:
  • Not showing any willingness to invest in transportation in Metro Atlanta early on in his term. This is further exemplified by letting a $1 million Federal earmark for commuter rail languish and lose value during the length of his term.

• Closing public schools statewide in the wake of Katrina in a feeble and misguided effort to reduce demand and prices at the pump. Sacrificing our kids' education in order to save a few cents on gas? Really?

• Leading a prayer rally for rain rather than using the brain that God has blessed all of us with to formulate a statewide policy that enforces water conservation and plans for additional capacity through constructing new reservoirs over the long term.

On a more positive note, I will give him credit for:
  • Standing up to the State Legislature by vetoing tax cuts that would've wiped out our State government

• Being very proactive in negotiating with Alabama and Florida over rights to the Chattahoochee

• Being one of the first State leaders to attempt to create a project prioritization process for transportation projects in Georgia towards the end of his term.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Oxendine is a complete moron who has proposed to route an extension of GA 400/I 675 right through Intown neighborhoods such as Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, and East Atlanta. He is also very questionable in regards to his ethics. In short, he's a disaster--and a clownish one at that. The rest of the GOP slate is filled with people trying to out-teabag each other in order to attract attention from the more conservative wing of the GOP on a national level. On top of that, the state GOP is clearly not interested in governing, as shown by the ineptitude of the State Legislature in addressing crucial issues in our state, such as transportation. In fact, each year the State Legislative session is seen as an opportunity by state leaders to bring home pork and score cheap political points by introducing vapid and ridiculous resolutions--such as reaffirming Georgia's sovereignty and right to secede from the Union.

Don't get me wrong--although I consider myself fairly liberal, I would easily vote for a Republican candidate, like former Cobb County Commissioner Sam Olens, if they showed some sort of interest in governing and offered real solutions instead of the whole "privatize services/crippling tax cuts" mantra. Nothing is for free and if we want to see improvements in infrastructure and education--we gotta pay for it.

That being said, Barnes is by far the best option and will probably fare pretty well as Georgians are a lot less hostile to local Dems than they are to the national party. He has so far done a good job in toning down the part of his demeanor that came across as arrogant to many Georgians. He also is one of the only few interested in actually governing rather than gaining cheap political points by campaigning on gimmicks that will never be realized.
I've heard Oxendine speak, and he sounds reasonable. Of course, I disagree with continuing GA 400 and connecting it with I-675, which was the original plan, if I'm not mistaken.

Tax cuts are a positive for business and the general person. Most people in this state prefer less government and lower taxes. Therefore, state legislators are only following their constituents desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta