U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM

214 posts, read 511,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
In the shower and falling from the skylight...hell to the no!

I lived in South America for several years...a savanna area...no snake problems...but did not like the very small lizards that would show in my flat on occasion...they were just so...alive!
lmao!

I understand. I can think of many times when I've visited central america and have come across creepy-crawlies. I can tell you that I have almost taken my own life trying to escape.

I recall being in Punta Uva and staying in this beautiful open-air villa over looking the ocean. Wow, the Balas (Bullet Ants) were no joke. And, I recall jumping on my SO's back while going down steep hillside stairs back to our villa from the main house. . .I swore there was a fer-de-lance coiled up on the step right in front of us . My SO tried to jump over it right as I jumped on his back. We fell down all of the stairs!! lol. It was bad. He took the brunt of the fall. I was still holding on his back. He had to carry me all the way back to the villa--up more stairs. His legs were bleeding.

And every evening we would have to suffer the bugs. They were in our beds and hair every night. We had to shower outside in an open bathroom (toilet/sinks were there too). . .with spiders everywhere and howler monkeys sounding like they were 2 feet from the outhouse. . .ooops I meant outdoor bathroom.

It was a great memory. . .but my point of the story is that sometimes being in our current place feels kind of like that adventure. You never know what to expect. . .and sometimes we have almost killed ourselves trying to live in harmony with the creatures. We are renting and had planned to buy the home, but it is definitely a little more than I can handle. I like living around nature but the previous owners made sure that their landscaping would provide shelter for any and all interested animals/insects. . .and I cannot handle that.

I still love nature. Just trying to learn how to minimize self-inflicted trauma whenever I come into contact with creepy stuff. My son has been the best though. . .he loves it all. Except for closely-situated squirrels and fuzz in his bath water. Not sure if the later one is living though. . .but he acts as if it is going to kill him .

PS. The lizards in Guanacaste were C-R-A-Z-Y!! You would have loved those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,980,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
omg, snakes. only time i have seen them are at the zoo. arghh. i wonder if theres a way to "animal" proof the yard to keep away some of these smaller unwanted creatures.
Wow. We even had snakes from time to time in MN, but those were only garter snakes and not a big deal.

I *still* haven't seen any snakes of note near my house in Georgia, not in five years now. It's disappointing. Though I love the little blue-tailed skinks.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,177,950 times
I love the little blue-tailed skinks too, and I thought I loved the chipmunk (chipmunks?) but now I wonder if they were the agents of the $1,100 worth of rodent damage (chewed wiring harness) inflicted on our new car, one night just before Christmas.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 PM

214 posts, read 511,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I love the little blue-tailed skinks too, and I thought I loved the chipmunk (chipmunks?) but now I wonder if they were the agents of the $1,100 worth of rodent damage (chewed wiring harness) inflicted on our new car, one night just before Christmas.

My son LOVES the blue-tailed skinks too. And they love our master bathroom shower. Not something you want to meet unexpectedly while in the buff.

Lots of chipmunks and squirrels around here too. Just this week, we had several squirrel nests removed from the attic. They demolished the insulation. . .made several nests out of it and topped it with leaves/outdoor debris. They were also VERY noisy guests.

I did think that flying squirrels were cute. But after their little shenanigans in the attic, I've had to change my opinion. We are definitely more open to our dog chasing and catching them.

Last edited by SleeplessnATL; 01-09-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta