U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:14 PM

631 posts, read 1,097,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbert View Post
Hey all,

Me and my cousin are planning on visiting Atlanta in May this year for two weeks or so, i'm just trying to find out some information on where is best to stay, what to do etc etc

I've looked at Buckhead, Mid-town, Downtown and to be honest, from the outside looking in it's a little difficult to decide. I know usually downtown areas are cool to visit during the day, but sometimes can be dead at night (I don't know, jut basing it on over here in the UK and other Holidays)

Ideally we want to stay somewhere where it's busy more than its quiet. Doesn't have to be in touristy type areas as we don't mind making our own way to wherever by train, taxi or however.

I've looked at Hotels & Apartments. I think Apartments (vacation rentals) appeal more because we would have individual rooms. So if any of you know have any info on where to stay, vacation rentals or hotels that would be great!

General Profiles:

Music: RnB - Hip Hop
Preferences: Clubs, Comedy Shows, Jazzy type lounges

We want to do some daytime shopping, sight seeing etc etc and some night time partying, meeting new people (Pretty much every day and night)

Any help would be useful. I've heard alot of good things about ATL and I guess we're trying to see them all in two weeks.

Thanks!

Its good to here there is somewhat a good perception of Atlanta over in the UK this is not the first time Ive heard this. Midtown would be great man Alot of Clubs Lounges and Bars. There are great clubs all over Atlanta not just in Midtown. The Hip Hop scene is very big out here so trust you will have a great time.

Atlanta Attracts Alot of foriegn visitors

Atlanta attracts the thirteenth-highest number of foreign tourists of any city in the United States,

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-09-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM

631 posts, read 1,097,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Another great post Bizzy this topic (Atlanta Nightlife/Culture/Scene) might need to become a sticky!
We also Forgot Apache cafe

Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 19,514 times
I'm taking all this in (copying and pasting) lol

RudeBoy21: I don't doubt alot of tourists visit, however I guess it's just something a little different for me and my cuz.

I do agree 'BringBackCobain' that most will generally lean to the side they want to see etc. We're quite open and diverse in tastes so fingers crossed we will experience as much as we can in the time we have (regardless of sub-culture) etc

Quick Q. A friend visited last year and Stayed in Buckhead. How is this as a location for clubs? I think he stayed at the Holiday Inn Express or something. Might look to see what other hotels are near if the location is that good.

So now its between Buckhead and Mid-Town...

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,637,941 times
Maybe you should also look into staying downtown.It overall is not as lively as other parts of bthe city but there are definately bright spots.You sound like you may be interested in off the beaten path,but still busy areas.
My favorites are:
The Ellishttp://http://www.ellishotel.com/ (broken link)
The GlennThe Glenn Hotel
Hilton Garden HotelDowntown Atlanta Hotels - Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Hotel, GA - Georgia
These are all downtown and are in great locations.Just look at the attractions nearby.Also your transportation options are as good as it will get in the entire city.

One place that is often overlooked in Midtown is the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center.Very good prices in a decent area.http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...tyhocn=ATLDOGI

Last edited by afonega1; 01-10-2010 at 11:22 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
some people on this thread act as if no other culture exists in atlanta besides the one they prefer. atlanta, just like every other major american city, has a black subculture - and although it is tough for some to acknowledge - it is only a subculture that now shares space with many others in the area.
to the op, go to buford hwy to taste the evidence of atlanta's large and fast-growing hispanic, korean, and vietnamese populations. go out in virginia highland and buckhead for some great american bar scenes. see a concert at masquerade or variety playhouse to take in the 'heady' side of atlanta. eat at everybodys pizza in druid hills. check out the cyclorama for a unique historical perpective of the battle of atlanta.
some people would prefer black culture to be the exclusive culture of atlanta and dont like the idea of it having to share cultural space with other prominent subgroups. as a result, they simply ignore the other groups that also make atlanta unique and add to the citys culture. sticking solely to their one-sided and exclusive reccomendations will rob you of a unique and diverse experience.
lastly, atlanta is known for many things abroad. if someone is only looking for one type of association with the city, thats probably all they will choose to hear.
Those places you mentioned are great ideas.But don't discount people who have a preference meaning there is a hatred or dislike for anything else.Look at Nashville ,TN.Country music capital of the world.Caters to mainly a "subculture" that happens to be a majority and not the minority.Yet it attracts significant numbers of African Americans as well.What about New Orleans?Most of what people worldwide identify N.O. with is minority subculture.From voodoo to Jazz,and the food of slaves.Or how about Seattle/portland a few years ago with it being the center of grunge culture.

What about Miami or Houston representing an overwhelming amount of Hispanic culture?

All I'm saying is surely you can see how much Atlanta TODAY represents not just as ANOTHER city with a black or hip hop subculture.Instead it is a(Actually THE) city(major) that has MORE than its share of attractions that showcase exactly what is black subculture(which one could very well argue is AMERICAN CULTURE in the fore front).

Do you realize how much money Atlanta gets on top of the mainstream economic drivers like media outlets it has when you include "black economic drivers".There are just as many if not more white, Asian,etc people making money off of this subculture as you call it too.One of my closest friends cousin producing rap videos who happens to be a Jewish guy with "gold fronts" and dreds.Look for his cameo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kvv3zp2wWo

So basically what im saying is when NYC(which still is)Hip Hop central world wide,but now has to share that title with Atlanta,was never viewed as JUST a HIP HOP city.So what makes you think Atlanta has to be viewed in such light?I think you are being way too sensitive.Too many examples of similar patterns in many cities yet you seem to think it is somehow the most negative connotation to have Atlanta stand out more so than other cities that don't have even half the presence of Atlanta's scene?Even if you dislike hip-hop/rap it still benefits you as a citizen when the city get revenue for people wanting the experience that obviously not to many cities CAN duplicate at the moment.Atlanta is known for more abroad,but Atlanta is known MORE in todays media driven world by its strong hip hop connections.What business person would not want capitalize on such a large GROWING market world wide?

As far as the info provided,it what the o.p.asked for."r&b,jazz,hip-hop"

Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,053,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Those places you mentioned are great ideas.But don't discount people who have a preference meaning there is a hatred or dislike for anything else.Look at Nashville ,TN.Country music capital of the world.Caters to mainly a "subculture" that happens to be a majority and not the minority.Yet it attracts significant numbers of African Americans as well.What about New Orleans?Most of what people worldwide identify N.O. with is minority subculture.From voodoo to Jazz,and the food of slaves.Or how about Seattle/portland a few years ago with it being the center of grunge culture.

What about Miami or Houston representing an overwhelming amount of Hispanic culture?

All I'm saying is surely you can see how much Atlanta TODAY represents not just as ANOTHER city with a black or hip hop subculture.Instead it is a(Actually THE) city(major) that has MORE than its share of attractions that showcase exactly what is black subculture(which one could very well argue is AMERICAN CULTURE in the fore front).

Do you realize how much money Atlanta gets on top of the mainstream economic drivers like media outlets it has when you include "black economic drivers".There are just as many if not more white, Asian,etc people making money off of this subculture as you call it too.One of my closest friends cousin producing rap videos who happens to be a Jewish guy with "gold fronts" and dreds.Look for his cameo:

So basically what im saying is when NYC(which still is)Hip Hop central world wide,but now has to share that title with Atlanta,was never viewed as JUST a HIP HOP city.So what makes you think Atlanta has to be viewed in such light?I think you are being way too sensitive.Too many examples of similar patterns in many cities yet you seem to think it is somehow the most negative connotation to have Atlanta stand out more so than other cities that don't have even half the presence of Atlanta's scene?Even if you dislike hip-hop/rap it still benefits you as a citizen when the city get revenue for people wanting the experience that obviously not to many cities CAN duplicate at the moment.Atlanta is known for more abroad,but Atlanta is known MORE in todays media driven world by its strong hip hop connections.What business person would not want capitalize on such a large GROWING market world wide?

Awesome post. You said exactly what needed to be said.

(and with your "negative connotation" reference, you really hit at the heart of the matter...)

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,676,963 times
Quote:

To begin with, its obvious that the people I am referring to are constantly pushing an agenda, to be more specific a "black agenda", and I dont think they dislike the other groups, but they definitely ignore them and the presence they have in Atlanta, and perhaps feel threatened by them. They push this aganeda every chance they get, and in this thread it was especially noticeable. These people are reluctant to even admit that atlanta could be known for its korean population, or that the city can be viewed for its other cultural associations besides black culture, and dont want to accept that many people do not associate Atlanta with the "blackness". That is why there was no mention of other cultures that have a growing foothold in the city before my post.

And of course I think it is negative for Atlanta to be associated with hip hop. Why would you celebrate music that mentions Atlanta in the same songs that have lyrics celebrating drugs (weed, crack, coke), the degradation of women, criminal activity, worship of material goods, bragging about how "ghetto" or "hood" they are, use the n-word in every sentence... etc. If you dont see the problem of Atlanta being associated with these types of ghetto people/actions and what they represent, then you are probably a pusher of the agenda I mentioned before. If the agenda-pushers are going to be exclusive and only recognize the black cultural prescense in the city, at least focus on r&b or jazz.

Just because someone makes money off of something doesnt mean that it should be celebrated or embraced by citizens of the city.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM

725 posts, read 1,334,617 times
Just to chime in. There are a lot of weekly rentals here where the deals are CHEAP CHEAP! I just got through staying at a hotel during the holidays. It was $200 (taxes and fees included) a week 2 miles from buckhead! It wasn't exquisite, but when you don't spend a lot of money on your rent you have a lot more for the city. If not be sure to check out Atlantic Station as a 3rd option its a lot more upscale than the place I stayed, but not as exspensive as buckhead or midtown and it is also close to the action.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
To begin with, its obvious that the people I am referring to are constantly pushing an agenda, to be more specific a "black agenda", and I dont think they dislike the other groups, but they definitely ignore them and the presence they have in Atlanta, and perhaps feel threatened by them. They push this aganeda every chance they get, and in this thread it was especially noticeable. These people are reluctant to even admit that atlanta could be known for its korean population, or that the city can be viewed for its other cultural associations besides black culture, and dont want to accept that many people do not associate Atlanta with the "blackness". That is why there was no mention of other cultures that have a growing foothold in the city before my post.

And of course I think it is negative for Atlanta to be associated with hip hop. Why would you celebrate music that mentions Atlanta in the same songs that have lyrics celebrating drugs (weed, crack, coke), the degradation of women, criminal activity, worship of material goods, bragging about how "ghetto" or "hood" they are, use the n-word in every sentence... etc. If you dont see the problem of Atlanta being associated with these types of ghetto people/actions and what they represent, then you are probably a pusher of the agenda I mentioned before. If the agenda-pushers are going to be exclusive and only recognize the black cultural prescense in the city, at least focus on r&b or jazz.

Just because someone makes money off of something doesnt mean that it should be celebrated or embraced by citizens of the city.
Well why would you use the name of drug addict that committed suicide and left his drug addicted wife with their infant child behind?All rap and hip hop is not the same.You know that.Yet you CHOOSE to a ignore that their is a difference between Common,Kanye West,Lil Brother,or Goodie Mob vs 50 cent,Eimenem,The Game,lil Wayne,etc.?Not to mention that white people listen to more rap than blacks by far.
Hip hop is not the only genre of black music.R&B is not rap.Jazz is not rap.So although it is black,for you or anyone else to suggest that it s all the same is just trying to propagate their own prejudices by bring up the worst at the end of the spectrum.

You keep talking about agenda.I know I am not the only one who finds this very strange.What is the black agenda?And why would anyone brag about communities that are only now becoming some what recognizable in a city that has roots that are stronger and deeper in the black community?I do agree that the city becoming more diverse is a good thing,however for someone coming from cities like London,Toronto,NYC,LA,San Fran.,etc;why would they come to look for the same in Atlanta?More than likely they will just EXPECT it.What they would not expect is being a major center of black and urban entertainment that appeals to all races.

Quote:
Oh really?Perhaps we should end the sale of cigarettes?Stop collecting all that tax money?Oh an what about stirp clubs?Those liquor license sure do generate a lot of revenue.

Sounds to me that YOU find commonality in linking all things negative about the black community but truthfully I don't think you have an understanding of the fabric and history of why exactly Atlanta is looked upon as some center of black culture mores so than other groups lot of negativity toward the black community because as much we have problems we have shown the world (as well as people of African descent).By your thinking I could conclude that Atlanta(or Ameridca)is a place of extreme racism,hate and bigotry based on its history and current policies.I don't.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,053,917 times
Quote:
Well why would you use the name of drug addict that committed suicide and left his drug addicted wife with their infant child behind?All rap and hip hop is not the same.You know that.Yet you CHOOSE to a ignore that their is a difference between Common,Kanye West,Lil Brother,or Goodie Mob vs 50 cent,Eimenem,The Game,lil Wayne,etc.?Not to mention that white people listen to more rap than blacks by far.
Hip hop is not the only genre of black music.R&B is not rap.Jazz is not rap.So although it is black,for you or anyone else to suggest that it s all the same is just trying to propagate their own prejudices by bring up the worst at the end of the spectrum.

You keep talking about agenda.I know I am not the only one who finds this very strange.What is the black agenda?And why would anyone brag about communities that are only now becoming some what recognizable in a city that has roots that are stronger and deeper in the black community?I do agree that the city becoming more diverse is a good thing,however for someone coming from cities like London,Toronto,NYC,LA,San Fran.,etc;why would they come to look for the same in Atlanta?More than likely they will just EXPECT it.What they would not expect is being a major center of black and urban entertainment that appeals to all races.

Oh really?Perhaps we should end the sale of cigarettes?Stop collecting all that tax money?Oh an what about stirp clubs?Those liquor license sure do generate a lot of revenue.

Sounds to me that YOU find commonality in linking all things negative about the black community but truthfully I don't think you have an understanding of the fabric and history of why exactly Atlanta is looked upon as some center of black culture mores so than other groups lot of negativity toward the black community because as much we have problems we have shown the world (as well as people of African descent).By your thinking I could conclude that Atlanta(or Ameridca)is a place of extreme racism,hate and bigotry based on its history and current policies.I don't.
Amen, afonega.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta